Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Victorian prospectors. The family and I are heading to Vic at Christmas for a visit and a wedding. I have made stipulations that I am able to do a 2 day detecting/fossicking trip. Can anyone tell me if there is any places that do tours etc. at that time. Dunolly sounds good? I have no idea of what's available. Thanks, Rick

Hey Rick, there's a few companies that do tours down here. Golden Triangle Tours is one of them. I saw a couple of YouTube videos from "ThatAussieFamily" that gave them a pretty good rap.

AU

rick you could try Gold Prospecting Australia they do tours but they may be booked out cheers Terry

Hi Rick, I took a tour with Gold and Relics and they were great but they might be taking tours in the West at the moment, not sure but look them up. Cheers Pete

Hello everybody,

We are new members to the forum. My wife and I are from WA but travelling around Oz and presently staying in Victoria for a month or so and wish to gold prospecting whilst here.

We understand that we have to obtain a Victoria Miner's Right and our research tells us Ballarat/Bendigo are the areas for gold prospecting but where do we start. North/South etc., of the towns?

Are we allowed to go into National Parks etc..

Very much appreciate any advice given and would make our holiday in Victoria even more special.

Kind regards

Bob

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.

Taken from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries - Prospecting Guide http://m.dpi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/19605/Prospecting-Guide.pdf

Where can I go prospecting?
Prospecting is permitted in most State Forests, many Reserves and private property with landholder's consent.

Prospecting is also permitted in designated areas in the following Parks:

Beechworth Historic Park
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park
Enfield State Park
Greater Bendigo National Park
Heathcote-Graytown National Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
St Arnaud Range National Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

Gemstone only fossicking:
Cape Liptrap Coastal Park
Otway National Park
Mornington Peninsula National Park
Warby Range State Park

Prospecting is not allowed in Reference Areas, most State or National Parks (with the exception of those listed above) and certain streams and rivers. These streams and rivers are listed on DPIs website.

Parks Victoria and DPI will be pleased to advise you where you are permitted to prospect. Refer to the contact numbers overleaf to find out the right person to talk to in your local area.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nugget

No problem. Hopefully some of the local guys will be able to point you in the general direction of some yellow stuff :D

Hopefully, somebody will advise us the best places to start. Will keep you and the forum advised as we go. Cheers Bob

hi bob
depending if your camping, creswick to the north of ballarat offers good panning in slaty creek. Slaty creek has good camping/picnic areas and access is good in 2wd or 4wd.

if you get sick of the ballarat region there is always the north east....around beechworth, its got fantastic history, close to the snow capped mountains-skiing, murray river, good food/wineries, and plenty of gold.

Hi everybody,

Very much appreciate your feedback and will check those areas out on our map.

We have a Trakmaster Off-road Caravan and will be in Crystal Brook Tourist Park
182 Warrandyte Rd (also known as 182 Heidelberg-Warrandyte Rd)
DONCASTER EAST, VIC 3109 from 16th to 24th July

Then we will head over to Geelong to watch footie match against Fremantle.

After that, we would like to go prospecting so all advice is very much appreciated.

Any region close to Geelong or Ballarat/Bendigo region.

We only have our GPX5000 with us, no sluicing gear.

Bob

Welcome Big Gem,

I agree with Casper's advice that Dunolly would be a good base. It has a caravan park and a gold shop where you should be able to get some assistance. It's a small town but should cater for all your needs. Also you're smack bang in the middle of the golden triangle.

Good Luck and I hope you have an enjoyable trip. Bob.

Gday guys. I'm sure most of you are already aware of the geovic maps. I thought I'd get the ball rolling I'm here with that. Some great layers on there to find out where gold has been found and where gold is located.
Quick search on Google 'geovic map' will direct you straight there. Handy being able to access this map via your phone as well.
Enjoy!

Latest posts