14 NF

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It started to rain while i was testing but i don't think that was the issue. It was bump falses mostly and i dont expect that on a new coil. My other coiltek 16" goldstalker falses a bit too which is why i put a deposit down on the NF.

Anyway it was only one test in one area so it doesnt count lol ill try a field field test today and run it against the 12x9 nf and the 11" minelab

Well it absolutely hammered down rain here all day today so I was watching out the window for a break for most of the morning, after a Bollow (my dog) gave me the nod that it was time to head out bush we set off in the rain. It only stopped raining for an hour and i was determined to compare the the 14 x 7 NF, 11 " minelab and 14 " coiltek elite mono's.

1433065034_20150531_193447.jpg

As i didnt have the time to wander around looking for targets a controlled test it was.

to make it fair i did a full factory reset and tested with defaults in deep and general, dd first.

1 gram - the Coiltek and the NF both beat the minelab in deep by 2-3 cm but in general the NF beat the others by 2 cm which i attribute to the NF's clear crisp signal response.
15 gram - Hands down Coiltek flogged the others in both settings, in deep by 10cm and general 5cm. Second was NF by 3cm over the minelab in deep. Nothing surprising here with the coiltek being 14 " 25% is a reasonable gain for the additional 10 inches in circumference in the windings.
0.11 gram - Minelab won this one by only 1 cm in general but in deep Coiltek by 1cm over minelab and NF last.
0.03 gram - Coiltek would not respond to this piece at all, minelab and NF both had a solid signal at 1cm that would pull you up.

These results were not overly exciting , what i did find was that the nugget Finder response was a lot sharper and i'm sure this is why it seems to be the preferred coil for heavily mineralised ground that we get in the Golden triangle.

At this stage i wasn't overly excited by the Coiltek but after changing up to my preferred settings with the 4500 in enhanced boy was there a notable difference.

What i did find was that the left side of the Coiltek elite was supremely more sensitive than the rest of the coil and going through each target i was impressed at its consistency. the 15 gram piece was now sounding off with a good "woohoo" at 55-60cm and for me if i can hear a 15 gram at 60cm and still hear a .1 gram at 3-4 cms with the same settings then i would say this is the best all rounder coil ive used.

The biggest downfall for me was the falsing which was alot worse yesterday when i was hopping over mullock heaps, today a little less still there when moving about. I think this may be due to the fact this coil has been passed around a bit and as a demo coil its probably not had the best treatment.

although a little reluctant i'm going to bite the bullet, i know coiltek after support is pretty good so i'm confident they will fix any issues should they arise.

I think between this coil and my 8" commander mono i wont carry any other coils in the field. fingers crossed i'll get a chance to hit some of my good spots once the rain dies down and i'll find out if its really as good as it seems.

It should be noted that controlled tests are rubbish compared to undug real world comparison so take this with a grain of salt but my believe is if there is advantage then there is advantage and adding in EMI, soil mineralisation and atmospherics will make a small advantage a much larger one.

Hi G0lddigg@, are the demo coils from Days? been meaning to ring them to suss out a demo of each of these coils. The cash is sitting here for one but want to test both first.

Thanks GD for the test results so the jungle green coiltek gets the nod hey? Good to here you are happy with your choice.betta stick a couple road reflectors on there in the grass she might go into snipper mode and hide.be interesting how it gos against a standard NF 14 advantage coil? You would expect much the same for same both being litz.thanks for being persistant and keeping us updated in this wet weather mate. :)

Haha no worries yeh mate i think it suits my swag lol im sure once i spend some time playing with settings and working it out itll be the standout coil.

I painted my pick african violet today after losing a $200 pick last month... maybe i need some plumbers tape so i dont lose it.

Impressive indeed ...15 g at 55 cm......once found a 15 g at 60 cm with a 20" NF but I would prefer the weight of the new Coilteck 14 Elite than the 20." Think I will wait until the NF 14 Evolution is out before I make my purchase. I have a 14 Coiltek Mono round and it also falses. This is why I use a Detech these days as I have no falsing when bumping on rocks and bushes. Great report, thanks !

Falsing seems to be a common problem with the Coilteks? This is about the 3rd report I've seen now on the elite that says it suffers from bump falsing. Also moisture seems to be another common theme. One report said that moist ground appeared to be causing the falsing which disappeared once the ground dried out. Not good coming into frost season.
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21131-coiltek-14-elite-mono#211643
Think I'll wait for more information on the NF Evo too.

regarding the falsing unfortunately that's the issue i'm very familiar with, i have a 18 x 12 gold goldstaker which punches deep but every little bump does my head in. I saw a youtube fix where a bloke pulls one apart and fixes it by re-taping the windings, apparently Coiltek use resin now instead of the old tape that would crack after time but i'm not 100%.

The solution i was told was to place foam insulation between the coil and the skid plate but the eliptical shape means the cover wont fit snug at all, maybe this will work for the elite thought.

I've had no falsing with mine whatsoever. She's been rock solid. A few ground noises but that comes with the territory of lots of rain and a very sensitive coil.

thats good to hear mate, like i said my thoughts are that these demo coils have been hammered pretty hard and they are the same coils people seem to be reporting on. fingers crossed eh :) are you still coming over to Ballarat mate?

oops!!! quick update the NF i was using was actually 14 x 7 not 12 x so i think that makes the coiltek that much better. 14 x 14 comparison really

G0lddigg@ said:
oops!!! quick update the NF i was using was actually 14 x 7 not 12 x so i think that makes the coiltek that much better. 14 x 14 comparison really

You can not compare a 14x7 to a 14" because one is round and the other is eliptical.

A few different people have a few different ways to calculate an elliptical to see what it is in a round size for comparison.

One is to add the 14 and 7 which gives you 21 then divide that by 2 = 10.50 rounding this off to 11".

Another method is to use the calculator below divided by 3.14. I got this info from another forum.

Maybe an electronics wiz can chime in.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html

Adding the values 14 and 7 using the calculator in the link above that ends up being 34.77 divided by 3.14 = 11.07

So one may assume that going by both of these calculations a 14x7 coil might be equal to an 11" coil.

hey Wolfau, i can compare them if i want :) and i did.

What i was comparing was three very common all rounders and their sensitivity, what i aimed to achieve was to decide on a coil that i would use as a daily that will respond to small gold and large in heavily mineralised ground with the same settings.

Real test in the real world no calculator required mate.

The best test is going to be Coiltek 14" elite v NF 14" Evo v Coiltek 14" mono v NF 14" Advantage. That will give a true indication of where the new coils sit vs whats available now in that size range.
Comparing the new Coiltek 14" elite to smaller coils, that should have better sensitivity to smaller gold, is a pretty good test of its sensitivity on smaller gold I reckon. I was surprised that the 14x7 didn't do better honestly especially on the 0.11 bit.
The results on the 15 gram & 0.03 bits were no surprise. Any 14" round should be hitting half ounce bits deeper than the other coils tested.

G0lddigg@ said:
hey Wolfau, i can compare them if i want :) and i did.

What i was comparing was three very common all rounders and their sensitivity, what i aimed to achieve was to decide on a coil that i would use as a daily that will respond to small gold and large in heavily mineralised ground with the same settings.

Real test in the real world no calculator required mate.

I understand fully what you are saying.

A round coil has a different search field to a Mono though and my reply
was based on a way to calculate an elliptical coil to get an indication of
its equivalent in a round coil.

An in ground test would be interesting though along with a comparison
between both new coils.

true mbasko, i just couldn't wait any longer as i wasn't happy with my 11 inch on depth tests for large stuff and my 18 x 12 goldstalker has the chirps. I picked up my new coiltek elite today and took it for swing, it was instantly quieter than the demo coil i used and on the 0.11 piece i was able to back the gain off to 4 and still get a half decent response. I'm happy with my purchase and will commit to this coil for a while.

Although in saying that i'm sure once the NF comes out i'll take the demo for a spin :)

Wolfau i hear you mate, litz circumference is certainly a factor when comparing apples with apples, i suppose i mixed the bag of fruit up a bit so we go apples oranges and a shiny grapefruit :)

if weather permits i will head over to a spot i like near avoca and look for a signal, if i find something faint and dont get too excited i might swap out the coils for another test. but knowing how time poor i am these days i'll probably be selfish and dig it :)

Took out a demo elite for a couple of hours this arvo and picked up a .16 at about 2 inches. Was a very faint signal at first almost a null signal but plenty to make me have a closer look.
Not sure if it's the same one you had GD but I didn't get any of the falsing you mentioned. Do you know what the serial number was?
Going to spend a day with it tomorrow.

Latest posts