Detector Warning - Be aware of fakes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spoke to a metal detector tech person today and was informed there are counterfeit copies of expensive gold detectors being passed off as genuine machines as one had been returned to the factory for repairs ,,even the security bar code was a repo,

Caveat Emptor ....... Buyer Beware !!!!!

L/R

I also heard that, apparently there is a factory in China that has been duplicating the GPX-5000, and whilst they look like a GPX on the outside, they don't work anything like them..

Yep 4500 & 5000 are the main ones and are faultless in appearance and being leaked into the system through private sales eg fleabay !!!!

L/R

It is must be a pretty big issue for Minelab for them to go to that amount of protection. Good advertising for buying from a reputable dealer rather than an unknown on ebay.

Thanks for putting the minelab link up ,I just happened to be talking to them and they mentioned the fakes I was,nt aware of the official posted warning ,as long as everone is aware.

L/R

hello everyone i have a few links of the fake detectors that may help you out and or a person planing to buy detectors

here are the links

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=gpx+5000

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/where-to-buy/buyer-beware

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1167686

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1605362

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...t_en&CatId=&SearchText=garrett+metal+detector

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...ct_en&CatId=&SearchText=whites+metal+detector

from what i understand any metal detector sold on www.alibaba.com that look like a Garrett or mine-lab or whites metal detector are a copy and people are buying these items and selling them on e-bay or gum tree to make some $$$ i just want people to be aware so they don't get ripped off

its just sad that people go so low to make a few lousy dollars

Cheers

Adam

Interesting show Redfin, question I would ask why would they need to reverse engineer the unit if they already have the intellectual property i.e. design?

lol, yes, get emails all the time from people trying to sell or supply various suspect products.
Had a mob in spain offering GPX5000 for $2500.....guess where they came from eh.
The chinese company doing the look alike GPX's offers them for $750.
Look the same, well near as I can tell, but I am sure the internals is nothing more then
a typical cheap VLF machine. Tho i am sure the GPX can be manufactured for
under $1000 no problems........leaves themselves a bit open with the pricing so high.

In my experience with the Chinese (of which I've had a fair bit), they are very, very good at reverse engineering hardware. So if you give them a box of bits, they will make the same box of bits very cheaply.
What the Chinese are not good at is designing stuff from scratch - why design it when you can copy it? They're also not very good at reverse engineering the software that runs the hardware. First of all they have to identify the microprocessor that's used, which is most likely manufactured exclusively for ML with its own part number that is useless to anybody else.
I would also expect that ML have taken precautions that will "brick" the microprocessor if someone tries to hack into it to retrieve the software. I think at best, the Chinese could make a chip that would emulate the controls and LCD display on a 5000, but I doubt they actually do much.

The Chinese philosophy to making money is "If I only make $1 from every sale, I only have to sell 1 million to be a millionaire". To put this into perspective, when you have a population of 1.5 billion people, selling 1 million of something is not much of a stretch. So if it costs them $50 to make something, they are quite happy to sell it for $51 as long as they can sell a lot of them. But guess where most of the stuff from China goes to - yep, the USA. Trillions of dollars of crap gets unloaded on the Americans who are brainwashed to "just keep buying stuff". Australia is a mere pimple on the butt of the world economy.

China is now very much a "capitalist economy". There are more millionaires in China than the rest of the world put together - they simply love money and to a China man it is very important to be seen to be successful. Losing face in China is not an option.

As for joe's question - a Chinese copy plant probably can't understand the all of the complex design drawings, even if they did have them. More than likely they would've just used them to find out what types of material they need to use to copy the parts (e.g. coil materials, control box materials etc.)

Toysandthings - I agree that the parts to make up a GPX 5000 would be way under $1000. But what you paying $6,500 for is all the R&D, infrastructure and overheads that all add up before you even buy the first screw to put it together. And of course, there is some margin in there for dealers and taxes on top of that. The other thing is that as long as people are buying them, the price won't drop anytime soon.

I would not at all be surprised if the new Garret detector (that will rival the GPX 5000) retails for just under the price of a GPX 5000. Neither company wants to start a pricing war that will endanger their profits. It's not good for (their) business.

AU

There was someone on eBay yesterday with a GPX5000 starting at $1000. It was a two day auction. I sent a question asking him to post a photo of the serial number so I can check its authenticity, as yet no answer, I smell a rat.

Just checked eBay, I can't find the listing anymore. Hopefully that's one scammer that loses his money.

Those fake GPX's have been around for nearly two years or more. They were made to cash in on the African goldrush in the Sudan when they were paying quadruple the price for one when they were hard to get. I heard that they had VLF guts in them. Coiltek Maryborough had one turn up by a bloke wanting them to check it out. It was total rubbish.