GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stru said:
kingswood said:
Nice gold!
Now every time I have used the machine so far, some times when I change modes I completely lose threshold...Have to do a reset.
Its not like the second or so loss of sound when changing, its a complete loss!
I suspect it is not serious...Should I be worried or just put up with it??

hey mate, i had the same thing happening and pressed minelab to fix it. Initially they said no fault could be located. Then I videoed several of the events and sent that to them. They ended up replacing a section of the machine. I think it may have happened once since (over a year). I was happy with their service and recommend trying to film the loss of sound. I was like you in that for over $10,000 i want a machine that runs faultlessly...another factor is if you were to sell it and disclose the issue i don't anyone would buy it....
Thanks mate. Will take the iphone next time to record it then :)

Just a follow up on the threshold loss. I went out for a couple of hours this morning and didnt lose threshold once. I did the ferrite GB with my freshly repaired ferrite ring (masking tape!)...This may be a solution :)
Tried to run in normal, ground covered in ironstone, quartz and shale....HY and general hard to get stable. Extra Deep purred like a kitten :)
No gold...But its there!...Somewhere!

An hour out before it got to hot. Little 8 gram specimen, 6.4g gold inside :)
HY/Difficult. Zed screamed on it. A few inches down, maybe 6...
1514082555_25975793_1859282117419728_1138907724_n.jpg

just a quick question on the ground balance when in quick detect and you ground balance you get a tick come up on the screen when complete but this doesnt seem to happen when i change modes and balance again is this normal or mabee have to balance longer in these modes

What depth difference is between the Normal and Difficult settings, say in %. I've done some very basic test on trash and found that difference was insignificant. Say on 10 inch would normal get target inch maybe two extra deeper(10-20%)together with loss of stability the difficult settings gives.I thought it would be more than that :(

My only complaint about the Zed is that mine only finds specimens ;)....Another little 17 gram speccie today with 11 grams of gold in it.
Love this machine!
I have also discovered that the threshold is lots more stable if I leave the phone in the car :) ha ha.

Thanks! A great vid and something I need to muck about with further.
Ive played about with high smoothing during our storm season and it helped as you plainly show, but the quietness always had me worried I might be missing bits at depth.

As for the wet ground, the 7000 loves it better than any previous machine I believe...the more saturated the better!

So i am sick of the minelab headphones and WM 12 slipping , moving , being heavy and hot :rolleyes: .

I have avantre wireless headphones and sender for the sdc , so do i just plug the avantre sender into the jack on the headphone module on the Z ?

I dont suppose theres any chance of the avantre headphones finding the headphone module that the WM 12 runs off ?

No gold today but just wanted to report settings :)
So the area was interesting soil, kinda colluvium...can see where scattered quartz, greenstones and bits of ironstone have come down from the hills.
In some places its very scattered!
Tried HY/Normal but it was just to noisy.
General/Normal with locate patch off was better, but still had a few squeaks and moans when swinging....flicked locate patch on and it was awesome!
Smacked a bit of tiny lead shot that was just below the surface and it screamed, even gave the kinda warbling threshold....thought I was onto gold!
All in all, general/normal with locate patch on may well be a great setting in milder soils :)

Just spent a few days with friends around Inglewood; not much gold but very interesting experience at the Inglewood test pit, just opposite the trotting track. Ground is pretty noisy.

Basically the test covered
.22 slugs at a variety of depths of 6/8/9/12 inches;
1/2 oz sinker at depths of 12/14/18 inches;
2oz sinker at 26 inches
10 oz sinker at 27 inches.

Key adjustments were high yield/general/extra deep; sensitivity; and audio smoothing. Three different GPZ7000s; three 14 inch coils and two 19 inch coils. We ran on difficult ground; threshold about 22.

The results were disheartening for those of us who think the GPZ is going really deep...

key points:

• no single coil or combination got all the targets. The key 'gap' was the 2 Oz at 26 inches (none got it); and for some reason the 1/2 oz at 16 inches was also problematical. gettable but not clear.[/*]
  • high yield did not provide any notable advantage on any target.[/*]
  • extra deep was the best setting[/*]
  • only coil to get the 10 oz at 27 was the 19 inch (slight signal only when in Extra deep/sensitivity 20/and high smoothing). 14 inch could not get it.[/*]
  • best overall combination (most targets, best signals) was Extra Deep/high smoothing/sensitivity on 20. This combination worked well for both the 14 and 19 inch coils. It is chattery and some might say noisy but you can hear the targets OK.
    [/*]

At the end of the day we all switched to Extra deep/high smoothing/sensitivity 20 -- which will be my start settings in future.

Go figure...love to hear what others think about that!

Its a strange beast the 7000. Once I couldnt get a signal on a split sinker at 4inches that screamed on the 5000 - yet its since found hundreds of smaller gold pieces amongst a mixed bag. I have also had high smoothing give the sharpest response on many occasions. First piece on a day I will try different settings to find the optimal signal and stick with it for a while or till I change ground - The next day in the same spot a different setting often works better! I found using ear phones/buds cut down a bit on the different signals I WAS hearing or not hearing with the speaker. Just more consistant and successful.
Good on you for taking the time to do this testing and report the findings - its important to have faith in your machine. Wonder if youd get the same results on any other given day....

Thanks for the report Imadogman.

If all the nuggets left in the ground were like .22 slugs and bigger we'd be laughing, but the reality is that the SD's mopped up a good majority of those solid slugs of gold.

I'm assuming you used Difficult in all the tests, and didn't try Normal?

The one combo which would have given you a good chance on a lot of those would be Normal / Extra Deep or even Normal / General / Patch Locate. Patch Locate definitely makes Normal ground type workable in a lot of soils. Normal really wakes up the Zed on the deeper slugs, especially with the 19". When in Normal, don't be shy to reduce your Sensitivity right down, especially if running High Smoothing.

Latest posts