GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
Went for a drive on Monday after being inspired by some of our local Detectorists and tried several difficult to access spots due to the steep slippery bush tracks and remote areas, There seemed to be high EMI levels so i took my time getting the gpz to run smoothly, best settings seemed to be Hi Yield, Difficult, Sensitivity 10, Vol 10, Threshold 24, Pitch 49, Ground bal auto, Smoothing low and Ground smoothing off.
Found only one spot that produced a few Species and an old Copper Button, rest of the 9hrs Dectecting
1509487737_mondays_t_008.jpg
was finding mainly pieces of rusty iron and tin but over all a nice day in the bush.
Dolphin.

I am surprised on how low you all run sen on 6 to 8 .

I'm still running mine on 13 to 15 yes it is abit chatty but the signal sill jumps out.

Othet setting H/Y Diff and smooth low.

Will have run the sen on 6 to 8 for a try for a day.

Good luck all that are out this Melb cup weekend.

D

Nice haul Dolphin!

Yep those obvious ones do jump out but my fear is always how many faint ones start sounding the same as the background chatter?

I do like a high sensitivity together with High Smoothing if the conditions call for it.

Nice gold!
Now every time I have used the machine so far, some times when I change modes I completely lose threshold...Have to do a reset.
Its not like the second or so loss of sound when changing, its a complete loss!
I suspect it is not serious...Should I be worried or just put up with it??

kingswood said:
Nice gold!
Now every time I have used the machine so far, some times when I change modes I completely lose threshold...Have to do a reset.

Has happened once to me. Had sound when moving through menu but absolutely no threshold. Only thing that sorted it was a power cycle.

Hasn't happened again so I put it down to maybe just a software glitch. It wasn't on for long when it happened so heat is definitely not an issue.

Great machines...and boy do they love gold. :Y: :D LIKE ME

aussiefarmer said:
I still havent done the updates , so is it worth it ? , convince me why , i can see the need to keep it up to date so it doesnt get glitchy if i load a later update .

Do it! and then go back over ground you've previously done...run in normal :Y:

Kings wood - it's a known issue. Has happened to plenty of people. Not a major problem but annoying.

I had it happen several times in the first few months that I had the Z. Hasn't happened for a long while now - maybe more than 8 months.

Someone suggested that using the ferrite might stop it. I can't see how but starting to use the ferrite and the issue stopping did seem to correlate a little bit for me.

Thanks guys! Yes, not a major issue...just annoying!
I must get a new ferrite ring!!

My wireless module dropped out a few times very early on, but after the first software update for the ferrite it's never missed a beat.

Also since switching to semi-auto my ferrite has remained balanced for long periods of time, sometimes not needing to do it for three trips out! One less thing to worry about, and one less variable to factor in when adjusting settings.

PhaseTech said:
My wireless module dropped out a few times very early on, but after the first software update for the ferrite it's never missed a beat.

Also since switching to semi-auto my ferrite has remained balanced for long periods of time, sometimes not needing to do it for three trips out! One less thing to worry about, and one less variable to factor in when adjusting settings.

I have found the same. The amount of times I have needed to rebalance has been few far and between.
I think also because the ground I have been working on is very similar.

kingswood said:
Nice gold!

I've been getting the threshold loss at least once or twice a week..seems pretty random.
Just an annoyance a $10,000 machine shouldn't have.

I struggle to run Normal on mine even with the new update,only a few places i can get away with it....I just end up digging hot rocks and hot clay all day(no fun)
So spend most of my time in Difficult.

LC76 said:
kingswood said:
Nice gold!

I've been getting the threshold loss at least once or twice a week..seems pretty random.

I struggle to run Normal on mine even with the new update,only a few places i can get away with it....I just end up digging hot rocks and hot clay all day(no fun)

I just spent some time in the GT and was able to run my Zed in normal in quite a lot of it, it really surprised me. I was also surprised at the size of some of the targets I dug while in normal, less than .1 of a gram at a couple of inches.
I did have some problems starting up the Zed, sometimes it would just keep flashing from the startup page to the detecting page and wouldn't accept any commands, only way to fix it was to turn off and start again. Sometimes I would have to do this three times before it would start. When I got home I tried it without the protective screen cover on and it starts perfectly every time, may have something to do with the sensitivity of the control buttons.

LC76 said:
kingswood said:
Nice gold!

Yes it is quite random!....detect for a few hours, no issues changing between modes, then Bam!....It does it!
Someday's it has happened to me a couple of times, on others not at all. Cant figure it out!!
I try to use normal....yes, a lot of hot rocks, but targets do really seem to stand out. I havent found a deep one yet so I dont know if they stand out amongst all the chatter :)

Could be worth handing them back to Minelab while still under warranty, gents. Can't say I've run into an issue as such yet (touch wood), but I wouldn't hesitate in boxing it up and getting them to nut it out. Bit of a bugger to have happen though understandably.

I still find it strange that Minelab haven't mentioned much about the new Semi-Auto ground balance mode or how differs to the normal tracking mode exactly? I've been keeping an eye over on the Minelab site threads, but it's been fairly quiet over there since the update released.

I held back from using it last trip it as I was doing pretty well in the normal tracking mode (HY/Diff.) in very severe ground. My simple reasoning being that I'm only really just getting comfortable with running the Zed how it is/has been, plus, 'if it ain't broke', 'better the devil you know' etc. etc.

A simple graph or chart would've sufficed upon release. Ahh, Minelab. Gotta love'em. :p

Cheers,
Shauno.

kingswood said:
Nice gold!

hey mate, i had the same thing happening and pressed minelab to fix it. Initially they said no fault could be located. Then I videoed several of the events and sent that to them. They ended up replacing a section of the machine. I think it may have happened once since (over a year). I was happy with their service and recommend trying to film the loss of sound. I was like you in that for over $10,000 i want a machine that runs faultlessly...another factor is if you were to sell it and disclose the issue i don't anyone would buy it....

Latest posts