GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me if you must use the XChange 2 to update the 7000? I don't use windows, so I can't install the software, and the battery is still charging so I'm not sure if I can connect to the wifi via the detector itself to check for upgrades or if it must be connected to a PC to do so.

Thanks for that mbasko, still charging the battery so I'm yet to turn it on, I only got it today so I would assume it has the latest update then.

Is there much reason to even use XChange 2? I don't see myself using the gps or plotting it on google maps as it says it can do.

I've never used XChange2 baring to download it & have a look what it does. My GPZ had the update installed when I got it so haven't been through an update either.
I don't use the GPZ GPS etc. so no need for it really. It is just sitting on my desktop now waiting for any further updates to come out.
Rumour has it there is one coming soon?

exchange is good to plot your data and to show exactly where you finds were, what you think is the creek or water course now may not have been previously and the finds can show you where the water was running previously, also great for showing how much ground you have not covered.
on my last outing to an area that i had been over 4 times previously and thought i had covered pretty well, after looking at the gps data on google earth i noticed significant areas not covered so i returned and collected a 22gm piece that i had walked past. my question would be why buy something with the technology and capabilities to make things easier and better for you when searching for gold and not use them, i would recommend it absolutely
1489319893_wp_20161020_006.jpg.jpg

:Y:

Yesterday was my second time out with the 7000, no luck again. It's a bit different coming from the 2300, I nearly always found a bit of gold, albeit small. I've been using the 19" coil, doing a half a day on high yield, rest of the day on deep, one target that I had on deep sounded really promising but it was just rust, that was a lot of digging!

Hi Cazalla. It does take a bit of time to get used to. Are you running the 19" in Normal or difficult? If you can run it in Normal try to - difficult knocks out quite a few targets but it makes it bearable with hot rocks, red clay, tree roots, etc.

If you were finding bits with the SDC you should find them with the Z. I have compared the 2 on several occasions and the Z has won easily every time.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have been running in difficult for high yield and deep. TBH, coming from the 2300 I didn't have to contend with any of that and I'm not sure what is and what is not considered hot ground, if it warbles too much, just like the 2300 I turn the sensitivity down, not sure if that is related to the other settings, it's a lot more involved compared to the 2300, so I've been experimenting.

Lots of warbling - noise cancel, turn down sensitivity, turn down volume.

Hot rocks, sounding off on red clay, tree stumps - change from normal to difficult - it cuts out all that stuff but you will also miss some targets.

If you have found a few small targets in an old timers wash up mound (in normal) and you reckon there might be some more then turn the sensitivity right up even if it's noisy - the targets might come through the chatter. And try difficult with max sensitivity too.
I've done that a few times (on a little specie patch too) and found a few more small bits on each occasion.

Not wanting to promote another forum but if you have a squiz on detectorprospector.com Jonathon Porter and Steve Hersbach have but some very detailed posts on there about the Z, different settings for different reasons and lots of little snippets that all add up yo understanding things better.

And the minelab.com Knowledge Base articles are pretty good too :Y:

The new update is up but does not work with exchange2 so have to transfer the downloaded update direct to GPZ. Looks good I like the look of find patch mode.

goldwright said:
The new update is up but does not work with exchange2 so have to transfer the downloaded update direct to GPZ. Looks good I like the look of find patch mode.

GPZ 7000 Software Update 2 (03-Jul-2017):
http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=313853

"Get increased performance from your GPZ detector.
This FREE update incorporates a new Ground Smoothing function, a Semi-Auto ground balance setting and Chinese/Mongolian language options.*
"

* Perhaps the Chinese/Mongolian language options are intended for use with those REALLY deep holes? :lol:

Does it have to be connected through a USB cable or the update file can be transferred wireless by WiFi or Bluetooth??Never done it before.Thanks

As far as I can tell you have to connect with the USB cable to you PC/laptop. My GPZ had the first software update on it when I purchased it & due to selling I haven't uploaded the second one but that's how I understand it's done.

Latest posts