GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you get the issue sorted mate. A friend of mine upgraded to the 7000 from his 4500. I was out with him last weekend and he picked up 5 pieces ranging from .3 to a gram roughly. All found in very very hot ground. He did mention he was running in difficult. I was unable to run the 4500 in sens smooth with the 8" without digging ground noise and red pockets. That's with the gain and stab backed off with audio in quiet as well. I'm sure this would be fine with a bigger coil but I'm just trying to give you an idea of how hot the ground was.
He says the 7000 is a great machine however he said he thinks it only has a minor advantage over his 4500. He is of the opinion that all the gold found with his 7000 would have been picked by the 4500. That Doesnt mean the 7 Doesnt have an edge in certain situations and what not.
He said to me the gains really aren't worth the amount of money he spent. However he rates the 7 highly and thinks its a great machine.

I understand it Matt but it just makes me wonder why a Ferrite core would be better than the actual ground, especially since it has new improved ground tracking.

On the other forum it seems people are already waiting for a software upgrade or new added features with an upgrade. Makes me wonder if there even will be one, I bought some very expensive AD/DA converters for my studio years ago and there was meant to be an upgrade for them but...... it never came, before an upgrade came out they were superseded....... They were excellent AD/DA as is the 7000 a great detector but these are niggling questions in the back of my mind.

Anyway hopefully we'll all learn a bit more about the 7000 in due time.

Heatho said:
You'd think the ground you're detecting would be best for ummm errr ground balancing.......... Sounds like a few bugs need sorting before the 7500 or 8000 is released.
after talking to minelab techinal staff, who gave me some tests to try, ,the 7000 failed ,minelab said to return detector to them which i did wednesday,they said it seems like a faulty coil,HERES hoping

Early adoptees of the 7000 are clearly doing Minelab's beta testing of the GPZ systems for them! This 'solution' to the GPZ's ground balancing problems is what is technically known as a "kludge". (From the Free Dictionary: Kludge = A clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem.)

My mate got the update for ground balancing the 7000 today. He said it made no difference to the way he normally balances. He picked up 2 pieces for .9 of a gram today.

Gold trooper said:
Has anyone heard any success stories of the gpz7000 in South East Qld or central Qld

Plenty of nuggets being pulled out of Wawrick. Haven't heard much from Clermont, but JP finding gold up there all the time.

PhaseTech said:
Gold trooper said:
Has anyone heard any success stories of the gpz7000 in South East Qld or central Qld

Plenty of nuggets being pulled out of Wawrick. Haven't heard much from Clermont, but JP finding gold up there all the time.

Hi nenad,

I have family around the darling downs but they don't detect. I'm planning on taking the zed for a swing up that way soon.

Cheers

GPZ 7000 Ground Balance / Start up simplified in 5 steps.

1. Select your Gold Mode and Ground Type. If you're not sure, leave it on the factory settings, High Yield / Difficult

2. Do an Auto Noise Cancel

3. Scan a 5m stretch of ground to make sure there are no targets present

4. Hold in quick track and swing the coil and walk forwards faster than you normally would (keep coil an inch or two above ground)

5. Release quick track button and pump coil like you would any other gold detector

You're good to go!

Repeat the above whenever you change Gold Mode / Ground Type settings, or when starting off in a new spot.

Hope this helps some users.

Nenad

PhaseTech said:
Repeat the above whenever you change Gold Mode / Ground Type settings, or when starting off in a new spot.
Nenad

Hey Nenad, you can actually ground balance on the different Gold Modes one after another on initial setup, then you can switch between modes whilst out in the field.

Redfin said:
PhaseTech said:
Nenad

Hey Nenad, you can actually ground balance on the different Gold Modes one after another on initial setup, then you can switch between modes whilst out in the field.

Yes of course, but you won't have the optimum Noise Cancel channel.

Hi Bob, probalbly the problem is that you consider yourself to be an experienced operator, because you didn't even consider that the problem could be on wrong settings or in your part, I am not an experienced operator, even if I am detecting for more than 10 years, my GPZ7000 is my forth detector and works like a treat, I had a training day with Nenad in Victoria, he is a very good teacher and he, very patiently taught me how to operate this perfect machine, now if I find something or not is entirely my fault.
I noticed that the best solution for me was to completely forget what I've learned with other metal detectors and start over with the 7000, because it has nothing in common with previous detector.

patchfinder said:
Hi Bob, probalbly the problem is that you consider yourself to be an experienced operator, because you didn't even consider that the problem could be on wrong settings or in your part, I am not an experienced operator, even if I am detecting for more than 10 years, my GPZ7000 is my forth detector and works like a treat, I had a training day with Nenad in Victoria, he is a very good teacher and he, very patiently taught me how to operate this perfect machine, now if I find something or not is entirely my fault.
I noticed that the best solution for me was to completely forget what I've learned with other metal detectors and start over with the 7000, because it has nothing in common with previous detector.

This is exactly the message that was getting around the Nth Queensland gold fields. The 7000 is a great machine but you have to know how to drive it and many shops selling them are not passing this knowledge on effectively.

patchfinder said:
minelab replaced the gpz7000 being a faulty unit,thank you minelab,us old blokes do know something,after fourty years we do get the drift,anyhow thanks for the info. will consider any information that will help,thank you and regards bob hillier.ps off today to check replacment gpz7000, three of us with a total of 130 years of detecting...bh.

Latest posts