GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the coil right next to the ferrite, press n hold the quick-trak and immediately go over the ferrite a few times. Sometimes doesn't completely track out but should almost be ignored.

Mines the same it won't always track out the ferrite.

I assume that we are meant to be doing the ground balance procedure while in the sensitivity setting that we intend to try to use ?

Or should we be dropping the sens back down to about factory setting of 9 then ground balance?

My thoughts are you would need to ground balance in the settings you intend using. If you change the sensitivity, particularly increase, then ground balance will most likely need redoing anyway.
Rightly or wrongly I've stopped using the ferrite lately. I'm finding that I can get an adequate balance by just using the walk & sweep method. In saying that I haven't been in any consistently very iron mineralised/noisy ground either but it seems to handle variations well enough in auto tracking. I don't know if it's coincidental or just getting more time up but I'm finding gold more consistently too?
I haven't tested it with/without the ferrite to check any differences as you'd pretty much have to dump all your ground data to do that properly. IMO if your getting a good balance, running smoothly enough & finding gold then the ferrite is only needed in higher iron content ground where you are having problems with ground balancing adequately. From all reports either method of ground balancing is still viable.

My question is if you are running your Z in auto ground balance why is there a need to do any ground balancing at all. I turn my machine on and swing and the auto tracking does its thing. When I am in manual yeah then you need to ground balance but other than that I dont see the need for us as operators to touch the quick track button at all while running in auto. Even when changing modes the auto balance does its thing and you can hear it doing it. Like if you get a signal that the auto takes out after a couple of swipes then you swing away from the ground noise signal and come back its there again for a couple of swipes then gone.

I agree. The only ground balance I do is if changing location I'll do a quick walk & sweep to get a sample of the ground then just let the auto tracking do its thing. If I return to the same spot I'll leave the tracking alone & if anything might do an auto tune if EMI/spherics seem to be present.
I've very rarely used the green button at all during a session & even then I was advised afterwards that due to that particular area being fairly mineralised in patches + very rocky/uneven under the coil that going into manual tracking may have been a better option? Haven't had a chance to get back to try it yet?

Yeah manual is great for doing rocky creeks when the ground under your coil doesnt really change but lots of rocks make keeping your coil the same distance from the ground. Same on rocky ridges when your coil can vary in distance from ground with each swing stops the little warbles you get when you lift away and push towards the ground when going over obsticals.

While I agree with your logic, I am not sure thats the full story. My understanding is that when in auto, the gb is updated constantly.

Its a FIFO storage system which means as the data buffer fills, new data replaces the oldest data. For example if you happen to walk over a large patch of hot ground (ie damp clay/ironstone) that data stored now over-writes/updates the original gb data.

Now if you happen to turn off, come back next time and the ground isnt as hot, it will take a bit of time before the new gb data is correct for the ground you are now in. If you happen to walk over targets in this period you may miss them. I am not sure how long this takes but I do remember reading something about 1/2 hr or so.

If you happen to do a new gb when you turn on the machine, it erases all the old data and new accurate data is stored straight away. Then as you detect, the new data is fine tuned by the auto process.

From what I've read when you "dump" your old data & basically start again then there is a time period in auto where the machine will gather information & optimise to suit anyway. If you're detecting the same or very similar ground this shouldn't be a big issue as the time frame to optimise would be the same on the old or new data? Maybe even less on the old if nothings changed?
Certainly if changing areas (even just on the same goldfield) or there are obvious condition changes like wet ground has dried out or dry ground is now wet then I would still do a walk & sweep balance or ferrite balance if iron rich. I would also do it if the balance didn't sound right which IMO you should pick up on pretty quickly especially where you had previously been running smoothly.

True but I would assume that the time to optimise the new gb would be less than that of trying to optimise old data. The other thing is that old data could be corrupt and what if the data stored is now too 'strong' for the new day? We all know that GB can change throughout the day. It could be masking faint signals. For the sake of a cpl of minutes to perform a new gb, I am not willing to take the chance of missing a good target down deep.

Yeah tracking by pure definition is just that tracking. While in auto the machine is tracking the whole time the machine is on, and like mbasko said you will know when it is out by what the machine is telling you. Since using the Z by pressing the quick track button in and walking is no different then turning the machine on and walking while sweeping the coil. One way you can really test this is locate a small target that starts as a clear signal then becomes a warbler, switch into manual do a ground balance and then sweep over the target and its response will not change. This shows you just how quick the auto is, as most of the gold we find comes out of the hottest patches of ground in the area.

The reality of it for me is I rarely detect the same spot 2 days in row anyway so a startup ground balance procedure is pretty much the norm anyway.
I can appreciate what goldwright is saying though but also understand what your saying too SteelPat. At the end of the day if your finding gold with whatever preferred method you use then that's the key to your own enjoyment + success.
To be honest I am still learning everytime I go out with this machine, as I was with any others I've owned.

I haven't ground balanced in a few months, just turn on and go.
The only thing I adjust is the sensitivity up or down depending on the ground.
I don't think we have missed many targets.

I don't think we have missed many targets.

I try not to think about these ones :| I often reflect on the story about the Heron Nugget (Fryers Creek) that when found in an old pre worked hole had pick marks in it from the previous digger :eek: So close and yet so far and I'm sure the culprit wouldn't want to know how close he was as after all it was only 1008 oz :rolleyes:
Yes I digress from topic but then again it's all about finding the same thing regardless of the means ;) I'd love to find a nugget I needed a wheel barrow to get it back to camp :D
I wonder what the Zee would sound like with this under it's coil :p I'm off to Bunnings to buy a wheel barrow at worst I can use it to move the Zee around when they bring out the 24" coil ;)

1471900499_halterman_1.jpg

Back on topic ................... yes bring on the 19" as eagerly await to see what it will produce as I'm sure are so many others.

Bogger, you hit the nail on the head - I know for a fact I have missed gold. A good example is a local patch that was smashed with GPXs and thought there's no gold left, then SDC's came out got more gold (in my early videos) then surely no gold left? Then the Zed came out, got plenty of bits but then surely no gold left now?? The GPXs with Elite and later Evo coils, more gold but now there must be no gold left? Then 4500 with 15" detech pings a 3grammer!

I recently went again with the Zed with some slightly different settings and got 3 bits for 2g. This patch has produced over 3 ozs now (of what I know) and continues to give up the odd bit. What is the 19" Zed coil going to pull?

Moral of the story is, if you think you haven't missed much, I bet you have. You just don't know it yet. Now don't take that as a negative, it's a positive because just think how much we've all left behind and all those spots begging for a closer look :p

I`ve got to agree with that moral, spend the majority of my time hunting new patches, when I`m frustrated with that I return to an old patch and with renewed vigor almost always get more (or perhaps should say desperation). It would be yonks since I`ve pressed the green button, find it is only necessary when I use manual GB to hunt out those elusive deep pieces.

Hi guys I am Graeme live at Budgewoi I will buy all gold nuggets, scrap and silver I am just starting refining metals but cant source enough quantity to make it worth while so if you guys want to sell any of your stuff please respond to me and I will pay you a fair Price and quick settlement o.k. look forward to hearing from you

Hi Graeme,
Mod Edit. :)
Just letting you know that we have a for sale or swap section that will go active after you have reached 10 post's.
If you are a commercial entity, We only allow advertising for our site sponsor's.
If you are a retail buyer or seller, Please consider becoming a site sponsor.
Please finally take a little time to read or forum rules. :)
Kind Thanks,
The Mod Team.

Budgewoiguy said:
Hi guys I am Graeme live at Budgewoi I will buy all gold nuggets, scrap and silver I am just starting refining metals but cant source enough quantity to make it worth while so if you guys want to sell any of your stuff please respond to me and I will pay you a fair Price and quick settlement o.k. look forward to hearing from you

ok .... 8)

Latest posts