GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see more info being added great work.
I haven't been out for the last 4-5 weeks due to a squashed nerve in the lower back(Bloody painful)
Getting cabin fever stuck at home.

I hear ya LC...I to have the same problem with the lower back pain, it comes and goes.
I just hope it holds out for another 10 years or more and im only 41 :(

Great work Tryhard. I've tried these low Volume settings - it definitely smooths out the machine, but makes faint signals whisper quiet.

Managed to get back out detecting thanks to some strong meds.

But wow what a different beast the zed is on soaked ground.
Constant sounding off on clay and charcoal extra noisy.
I'd become too used to hot dry dust.

Trying to figure out how to get it stable on wet mineralised ground.
Sofar I've just knocked back the sensitivity and I've noticed extra deep seems to handle wet ground without as many false targets.

Yeah same here. General, Difficult, Sens 8, Low Smoothing been working for me. Or Extra Deep, Normal, Sens as high as you can get it.

I got a message from E.E Day and Sons saying that the 19" Super coil is due for September release but still no price.

SC75 said:
I got a message from E.E Day and Sons saying that the 19" Super coil is due for September release but still no price.

:/ I spoke to a dealer today regards this and was told no further news or release date ...................... go figure :rolleyes:

yeh i spoke with e e day last week as well, its just an update from minelab saying it will be available. no explanation why its not been released yet.

Hi all,

I'd just like to thank everyone for their input here as it's truly an invaluable resource. :)

I'm frantically going back through reading and taking notes here and there as I'll be taking the new Zed out for a swing next week. Not sure if I'll be able to add too much that hasn't been covered already, but will certainly do so if I can!

Just thinking out loud here, but while reading the comments made after the software update, I'm keen to see a comparison between ground balance techniques on an un-dug target while running the exact same settings. One done while ground balanced with the Ferrite and one done with the walk and sweep.
Probably a fairly high uncertainty on the variables as far as target size, response and ground mineralisation (particularly when you don't know what the target is?), but I'll definitely give it a go on several targets if I can and see what I can learn.

I'm looking forward to getting out there.
Cheers,
Shauno.

Cheers Shauno,

I've done this a few times in the field. Sometimes there is very little difference, other times it's huge. Basically if you put the ferrite on the ground and sweep over it and you are getting a signal off it, your Zed is working at less than optimal performance.

Look forward to your findings.

Nenad

Sweep over it after ground balancing on it I assume Nenad?
Bit new to all this.

PhaseTech said:
Cheers Shauno,

I've done this a few times in the field. Sometimes there is very little difference, other times it's huge. Basically if you put the ferrite on the ground and sweep over it and you are getting a signal off it, your Zed is working at less than optimal performance.

Nenad

Thanks kindly Nenad!

That makes life easy. Hopefully I can get a few bits and pieces to show here over the next week or so.

*Note to self: keep that Ferrite ring safe. Haha!
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

PhaseTech said:
Cheers Shauno,

Nenad
Yes your right Nenad but if you use the ferrite and swing over it in General you always get a signal, don't know if its the same with you fellas? but in high yield it does work.
I haven't used my ferrite ring for a few months now my Z runs good without it, nor have i had to use the noise cancel.

SC75 said:
PhaseTech said:
Cheers Shauno,

Nenad
Yes your right Nenad but if you use the ferrite and swing over it in General you always get a signal, don't know if its the same with you fellas? but in high yield it does work.
I haven't used my ferrite ring for a few months now my Z runs good without it, nor have i had to use the noise cancel.

I have found doing a ground balance with ferrite in general works a treat. Can't hear the ferrite at all afterwards. My issue with not doing a full ground balance and noise cancel on each trip is that if the machine is remembering settings that may be a bit noisier than you actually need means you may miss faint targets. This may not be the case but I am not prepared to chance it.

Cheers gents!

I'm open to taking any and all tips at this stage. I'll have more than enough time to try a few different things out should the need arise.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Shauno, I run in general/difficult most of the time with smoothing off and use sensitivity between 12-20. Have found General is a little less sensitive to ground noise and I am yet to find a piece in High yield that general has not seen. I do a noise cancel every morning when starting just to be sure its on a clean channel. One thing though my gold fields dont suffer from EMI other than in summer time when storms are about so this allows me to run the Z a little hotter then you folks down south.

Thanks kindly GW. I'll note it down and give it a run.

EMI gets nasty where we swing (central NSW) as most of those areas are right under the main flightpaths. I'll try a few things in different areas. I'll be running headphones, but will ramp it up a little if I can.

I wonder if we'll see an aluminium hard case built for the Zed soon? It's a big investment to simply store in a bag. I have the full size aluminium hard case for the GPX (made by Coiltek if I recall correctly?) and it's a great way to keep things safely protected. Surprised they aren't out there already? I'll be keeping an eye out for one.

Cheers,
Shauno.

goldwright said:
Shauno, I run in general/difficult most of the time with smoothing off and use sensitivity between 12-20. Have found General is a little less sensitive to ground noise and I am yet to find a piece in High yield that general has not seen. I do a noise cancel every morning when starting just to be sure its on a clean channel. One thing though my gold fields dont suffer from EMI other than in summer time when storms are about so this allows me to run the Z a little hotter then you folks down south.
I run my settings pretty much the same GW but i don't get any EMI so there's no need to do a noise cancel and again i did try out the ferrite today on general and the signal doesn't dissipate but in hi yield it does? might be my Z. Don't know what the go is there?

Latest posts