GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally cracked my first ounce today.

After playing around with different settings and not really getting consistent results I'v gone and reread Nenads and JP's and Utbn's advice and put into practice what they have all said.
And now having much better luck,so thanks guys for the help.

LC76 said:
Finally cracked my first ounce today.

After playing around with different settings and not really getting consistent results I'v gone and reread Nenads and JP's and Utbn's advice and put into practice what they have all said.
And now having much better luck,so thanks guys for the help.

So what settings did you settle on?

Got this one today at 28cm / 11 inches deep
With same settings i posted the other day

Sense 12
HY/GEN
Difficult
Volume 10 with headphones
Smoothing off
Threshold 24
Pitch 28
Volume Limit 3

I was using High Yield this time and it made a very subtle downward sweeping woooo noise that seemed to move a few times until i got right down to it then it screamed........and i smiled :D

LC76 showing us how its done! Bamm!

After reading about all the sub grammars...and all the sub 0.10's folks seem to be able to find i thought i'd play with some settings at a spot i know is full of sub 0.15grammers - i know this because when i dig some dirt there for panning i regularly find good pickers and a couple of times have spotted them fall from where my pick had hit! Its close to a well worked source.

So i tried most settings i've read on this thread (headphones yep)...incl the v low to no threshold etc. I did find a 0.38gm on HY, Diff, Sens 15, thresh 10. It was all ok with a higher threshold but less clear - this ck has a lot of hot rocks/noises - v hard to maintain a smooth threshold. A setting i have read about with smoothing on high (to make the signal crisp?) i couldn't hear it. I use no smoothing.

As far as the real small stuff - nothing with the 7000 and sure enough i did dig up from the same spots a 0.12, 0.10 and a 0.08....

Not too fazed to not find the 0.10's..good on you to all who do - i surmise perhaps you are on different ground. I had a mates deus there too...not too familiar with it except a bit of park detecting but it wasn't handling the ground in gm power or gold mode and hence missed these small ones as well.

Mostly i run the machine hot. Yep this will lose me the tiny stuff....might switch to low threshold on long days when the noise becomes too much!!!

On another note, i will contact minelab again because several times now when turning the machine on you get NO threshold sound. You get the sound from the buttons etc but no threshold. No matter what you do have to turn the machine off and start again. I raised this with them when i was getting a screen repair...they tested it and all good - as it is with me MOST of the time....its a machine i want to have 100% confidence in and with this recurring issue thats hard....

1461752697_bling.jpg
just realised my computer spell checks minelab to minicab!

Nice work Stru
Yeah I'm still experiencing the no threshold sounds at random times... Usually seems to happen to me when changing from General to High Yield.... The threshold goes silent except for the button press noises.
And needs a power off and on to fix it temporarily.
Bugs me after paying so bloody much.

Hey LC76, I am experiencing the identical issue to you where as I loose threshold when changing either Gold or Ground Type and the only way to fix is to power cycle. I expect that this is a firmware bug that Minelab is aware of and will be fixed when the next up[grade comes out. I will call Minelab next week and have a chat if I can get anyone to actually answer the phone or return my emails.

Hi tryhard, i visited minelab in jan and showed them footage of the problem. At the time they said it was new for them though i knew of at least one other on this forum having the same issue. They fixed my screen and tested the machine - apparently all good - and thats the hard part for them in its very hard to replicate. I am not confident a software upgrade will fix this issue, the last one didn't. An email has been sent, will see where it leads.

Well really starting to get to know the Z now and loving it.
1461978921_20160426_163741.jpg

This piece was just past the top of the lower shaft cam lock with coil flat and measured 650mm. Running General, Difficult, smoothing off, threshold 10 and sensitivity 20. Was very faint reverse signal in General but in High Yield was not really there and maybe just but only as I knew it was there. I lowered sensitivity to 10 and put audio smoothing to low and threshold back to 27 and it disappeared. In General, difficult, smoothing off, threshold 10 it still got the target down to about sensitivity 15 but after that nothing. This piece was on it's edge and we saw it in the bottom of the hole so if it was flat I reckon 3 foot plus. We had someone with a 5000 and the 18 coiltek elite and it did not see it no matter what settings we tried.

nice find, and i bet very satisfying, when you learn to understand the machine, wonder how many more big bits are there, just out of range of the 4500,s and 5000,s?

mbasko said:
Nice find goldwright. The mind boggles at what might be achievable when the GPZ19 coil becomes available.

I can't wait for the GPZ19. Dispite some of the negative feedback on the Z, I have witnessed it do things that no GPX has ever done. And on the last day, I hooked up my charger but one did not flip the switch to power the outlet as a few drinks were had that afternoon and my battery lasted about 1 hour the next day came back to camp hooked up my CTX battery and got a full 5 hours out of it while my main charged up small wins.

What a stunner GW!

There's no doubting the Zed for sure. Mbasko took the words right out of my mouth about the 19" that's coming. I thought the exact same thing when reading your comment under the nugget pic. It's got me really curious at just how much depth we are going to see them obtain over time.

I guess the old Jaws phrase comes to mind; "We're going to need a bigger boat." -only replace boat with Pick or Crowbar. Haha! :D

Great to see these bigger pieces that the Zed is unearthing. Always a real treat.

Keep up the great work all!
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Gorgeous nugget there Goldwright well done.

With some of the ground I'v had to dig down into lately im seriously considering a much more heavy duty pick or crowbar.

LC76 said:

With some of the ground I'v had to dig down into lately im seriously considering a much more heavy duty pick or crowbar.
I had my fencing bar in the ute but it was a pain being too long & getting in the way whenever I wanted to load something else in the back. I ended up getting rid of it back to the shed & have now packed a Cyclone camp/4wd shovel that fits into my ute drawers. Has already come in handy to cut through some roots in a deep hole I couldn't get a good swing with the pick on. I don't think it'll have too much trouble even breaking shale/slate type country rock if required & will make easier work of the hard compacted clay/gravel soils. Also got one of the Fast Recovery 900mm picks off Ron on eBay for $90. Still thinking of cutting the fencing bar down a bit to fit in the back better just in case but think the pick & shovel might do the job?
P.s new bigger pick & the shovel was $140 all up. Some of the big "shop" picks were over $200 on their own.

LC76 said:

Maybe small jackhammer?

I always carry a modified crowbar around with me in the ute. It's about 1400mm long, I shortened a full size one and welded a big rounded off nut on the top. When I am on a patch that has depth I carry it in with me and leave on a tree until I need it. I have a piece of a old high vis shirt tied to it so I don't lose it. When you get to about the 1 and 1/2 foot mark in my country the hole would have to be 3 times that in diametre to able to dig with a pick and getting the bedrock out when they are football sized with a pick just ends up in a broken pick.

Latest posts