GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres a pic of my collection so far GPZ vs SDC

GPZ on the left SDC on the right.
Biggest for the GPZ 7.96g and smallest is .02g
Biggest for the SDC is 2.21g smallest ? scales wont say
I love both machines.
Just thought it was interesting seeing the types of gold both will find in flogged ground.

I have run Bogenes setting with the GPZ with some good results. Sensitivity 20, HY, difficult, Smoothing off or low if too noisy and threshold not completely off but at about 10 (this seemed to be the optimum for hearing those little warbles of those really sub grammers) run side by side with the SDC the Z saw every piece the SDC did other than the ones in the rocks where the 14 inch coil could not get. This nugget was at about 4-5 inches and the SDC just did not see it, but a sharp warble on the Z. Haven't really tried these settings with bigger deeper targets yet but can't see why it would not work the same. This 14 inch coil is just ridiculous.
1460851214_20160417_094833.jpg

G R well done and you must be a happy chap ?
When you say "This 14 inch coil is just ridiculous" you mean this as in good - great or a bigger coil still on the Z would be better ?
I ask as so close to buying a Z but with the new additions on the horizon a little hesitant to do so right at this moment.
Also good to see the side by side comparison with the SDC and have found most that have the SDC would not part with it no matter what they purchased ?
:)

Bogger said:
G R well done and you must be a happy chap ?
When you say "This 14 inch coil is just ridiculous" you mean this as in good - great or a bigger coil still on the Z would be better ?
I ask as so close to buying a Z but with the new additions on the horizon a little hesitant to do so right at this moment.
Also good to see the side by side comparison with the SDC and have found most that have the SDC would not part with it no matter what they purchased ?
:)

Yeah by ridiculous, I mean really good, it is a 14 inch coil picking up pieces a 8 inch coil is getting on the SDC. I am only new to the Z maybe 50 hours so far, but I have seen it get pieces up around the 5 gram beyond the foot mark that the 5000 did not see, even with 16 inch coils and the new 14 coiltek Mono Elite did not try the 18 inch coiltek elite.

If all you have used is a SDC, the GPZ will be a machine easy to get used too, if coming from the PI's the learning curve is a little harder as ground balancing the Z is nothing like the PI's and you can really mess the Z up with habit balancing ie Quick track button and pumping coil up and down.

I will be getting the 19 inch coil for sure, but I was lucky I had my old boys Z to play with before buying one and was going to stick with the 5000 until I was convinced the Z was a better machine, basically in my opinion the Z has combined the GPX 5000 and the SDC 2300 in one unit with one coil doing it all ( I understand the Z is different tech to the PI's). And to be honest the Z is really easy machine to use, quite possibly only second to the SDC. Turn on, do the quick start follow directions on screen and detect that easy.

G R thanks for the info .................. always great to hear the users perspective on a unit.

Goldwright - what setting do you have your volume set to? I use very similar settings and also get all the real small bits so am curious to see if others have all the same settings. I also vary my threshold anywhere between 5 and 15 depending on conditions and always try to run on smoothing off.

SteelPat said:
Goldwright - what setting do you have your volume set to? I use very similar settings and also get all the real small bits so am curious to see if others have all the same settings. I also vary my threshold anywhere between 5 and 15 depending on conditions and always try to run on smoothing off.

I always run headphones so my volume is between 7-10 depending on the conditions. Yeah I run smoothing off, I will lower sensitivity before turn smoothing on. They are pretty spot on with their instruction manual, High Yield is best on the small bits with general not seeing those sub grammers as sharp. Target responce is quite defferent on the Z compared to other machines and don't feel threshold is as important but more time on the machine may prove that to be wrong don't know yet. Reverse signals seem to go right down to 4-5 grams where as with the 5000 that would be more in the 12grams and up kind of nuggets and reverse signals are not a variation in threshold as much as a normal faint signal and a sub grammer is more of a warble than a sharp high-low signal and a different pitch to the threshold in factory threshold pitch. I am loving getting to know this machine and the season up here hasn't even really started yet.

I wonder how much depth difference there is between HY and General. I normally run in HY as I dont want to miss any small bits but am I perhaps I am missing bigger bits deeper down?

I have been meaning to try it one day but once I am out in the field I just want to get into it and not play around lol.

I've been wondering the same SP. Spent the first 15-20 hours of use switching between HY & General + playing around with other settings. Last couple of outings I've just stuck to HY & it's in the these last 2 outings I've managed to pick up my first 2 x bits (speccis). In hindsight I should have switched into General & went nice & slow back over the general area but just stuck in what worked & kept going. As I get more hours up hopefully switching things up becomes second nature - it's very easy to do but it's also easy to just stick to one thing with the Zed too. When your finding very minute wire/bird shot & also digging deep holes with the one lot of settings & one coil you tend to become a bit too complacent about changing things?

For me it depends on what i think the ground is doing.
If its obvious the ground is shallow or im on and around diggings then i will usually just stick to HY.
When im exploring up slope or slightly away from the diggings ill change into General.

And when im out in open ground with no diggings and just exploring ill usually change to Deep.

Still experimenting with settings though.
And right now i like Nenads and JPs advice for settings the most.

Also General and Deep both pick up sub gramers iv noticed just,make sure your going nice and slow with that swing.

Yeah I think HY will be my running setting as others have said. But if cleaning up a patch I will go through all the settings just to make sure I have not missed anything. The best thing about this machine is there is just less settings to concern yourself with and yet it does the job with ease.

I have my user button set to sensitivity as I tweak with that quite a bit when detecting especially if I get one of those iffy signals crank the sensitivity, or hit some really hot ground and lower it a bit with the touch of a button without scrolling through the screen and do the exact same with my CTX.

Just wondering people's thoughts on using the iron ferrite when ground balancing the Z. The reason I ask is that I have just completed my training with Coiltek and they advised against using it and they gave a very damning demo showing the issue with its use. At the Coiltek test patch they showed the difference on target repsonse using and not using the ferrite and the contrast was amazing. They beleive that the ferrite sets the initial GB to aggressively and targets can be missed for the first 20 minutes of detecting while the GB adjusts to the actual ground mineralisation. AS you can imagine I am now really confused should I use the ferrite or not is its use valid for some ground types and not others. Any way I would be interested in hearing from you on your thoughts about the use of the ferrite.

RGds

Tryhard.

tryhard1968 said:
Just wondering people's thoughts on using the iron ferrite when ground balancing the Z. The reason I ask is that I have just completed my training with Coiltek and they advised against using it and they gave a very damning demo showing the issue with its use. At the Coiltek test patch they showed the difference on target repsonse using and not using the ferrite and the contrast was amazing. They beleive that the ferrite sets the initial GB to aggressively and targets can be missed for the first 20 minutes of detecting while the GB adjusts to the actual ground mineralisation. AS you can imagine I am now really confused should I use the ferrite or not is its use valid for some ground types and not others. Any way I would be interested in hearing from you on your thoughts about the use of the ferrite.

RGds

Tryhard.

Mate I am yet to use the ferrite ring while groud balancing, as I have not needed to. I think in cetain grounds it may be necessary and it would pay to carry it with you and if you have troubles use it if not dont. You will learn the Z with use and you will know if you need it.

Personally I don't bother using the ferrite. I just use the walk and quick trak method. Always have.

Thanks guy's, I have only used the Ferrite once, have decided to place in bottom of pack just in case and do the quick walk gig. Hey Utbn can't beleive the bad luck you are having, atleast you have had all 3 up front, so the rest of the season should be a dream for you, atleast I hope it does and look forward to the results. I am heading over for 10 weeks in June so I hope my run goes better then yours.

All the best

tryhard1968 said:
Thanks guy's, I have only used the Ferrite once, have decided to place in bottom of pack just in case and do the quick walk gig. Hey Utbn can't beleive the bad luck you are having, atleast you have had all 3 up front, so the rest of the season should be a dream for you, atleast I hope it does and look forward to the results. I am heading over for 10 weeks in June so I hope my run goes better then yours.

All the best
Gday mate yeah bit of a surprise with the vehicle playing up but gotta be the last of the probs I hope. Mate you been over here before?
You pretty competent on the 45?
If you need any help with running 45 let us know and will help you out.

Latest posts