You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

jml
13 May 2013 08:26 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to hear feedback on what others are using as classifiers for a high-banker.
Many seem to use the punch plate (electrical cable tray) style but does anyone use say the woven mesh as it has far more 'open' area compared to the standard punch plate style?
JML
Jeff

goldbug
13 May 2013 11:43 pm

Hey Jeff

A buddy and I were tossing ideas around on this very subject today.  Personally I think the 1/4" grille style is ideal.. from what  have seen the expanded mesh and drilled hole or slot types seem to have a few disadvantages, like clogging and flow restriction.

The grille style is basically rows of steel rods 1/4" apart..that sort of thing. I took a photo of a grille I saw at the carpark at work today, thought it would make an ideal highbanker grate.. Pity it was welded down smile

Cheers James

1368448621_image.jpg

Canberra based - GP Extreme, X-terra 705, GB2, McKirk sluice

WalnLiz
13 May 2013 11:50 pm

Best of luck guys...Look forward to the results...Cheers Wal smile

Last edited by WalnLiz (14 May 2013 12:05 am)

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

Dogmatic
14 May 2013 06:07 am

I wonder if using a grate like that would make it more difficult to slide your material over as there is not a smooth surface?

Whites TDI Pro OZ series, Whites SPP, MinelabSovereign GT, Minelab Pro-Find, SYM 12x45 Half n Half sluice.

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 09:07 am

They're ok as a grizly, but no good as a forward classifier....If you use them as a grizly and the bars aren't close enough, larger "flat" stones fall through, and the suction created by larger flat stones drags fine gold down the mat....Cheers Wal. wink

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

goldbug
14 May 2013 09:38 am

Dogmatic wrote:

I wonder if using a grate like that would make it more difficult to slide your material over as there is not a smooth surface?

As Wal was saying in his post as a Grizzly should be OK, with gravity and liquidfication it should slide down pretty easily..

jml
14 May 2013 05:58 pm

I came across this material which I think would make as a good classifier on a high-banker and as a forward classifier on WalnLiz's design. It is stainless steel woven mesh, size 5 with an open aperture of 3.83mm and a wire thickness of 1.25mm. Reasonably stiff but would probably need some support over a width of 300mm. Not able to load up a photo (too big).
JML
Jeff

Nugget
14 May 2013 06:24 pm

Hey jml, please see the link in my signature "Optimising images".

Cheers,
Nugget

Whites TDI Pro (OZ Series) with NF 6x8 Sadie Advantage.. Nuggies can hide but they can't run.

goldbug
14 May 2013 07:30 pm

Making a highbanker at the moment and for the grizzly have settled on an old oven grille a mate picked up at the tip. Fits like a glove.  I think the fun part of making a highbanker or any other prospecting gizmo is the give-it-a-go aspect, try one thing...doesn't work, no worries, try another.. 

BTW: If anyone is after a petrol pump for their highbanker these are great little unit and very cheap at only $167 delivered smile

http://www.megamachinewarehouse.com.au/ … ater-pump/

water-pump-300x300.jpg

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 08:19 pm

jml wrote:

I came across this material which I think would make as a good classifier on a high-banker and as a forward classifier on WalnLiz's design. It is stainless steel woven mesh, size 5 with an open aperture of 3.83mm and a wire thickness of 1.25mm. Reasonably stiff but would probably need some support over a width of 300mm. Not able to load up a photo (too big).
JML
Jeff

Please note that in no way would I recommend this mesh be used with my hi-banker design. Any forward classifying screen should allow material smaller than 8mm to pass through the screen. This includes all nuggets from 1gm to 4gm, and a grid of 3.8mm would see most of these remaining on the classifier, and be too small to be easily seen. Same goes for Sapphires. No probs with using on your design Jeff, but just expressing opinion for use on my banker. I'm sure that with your banker this mesh will be quite fine...

Very interested in checking out that pump Goldbug....looks like great value .....Cheers Wal, smile

Last edited by WalnLiz (14 May 2013 08:43 pm)

jml
14 May 2013 09:35 pm

Thanks Wal,
In the very short time I've been panning and rooting around for gold the biggest 'spec' of gold I recovered has been 2mm... at best. In terms of the places I've been, such as Majors Creek, Bombay Crossing and from the feedback on the Shoalhaven further down, is that it is all flour gold. Maybe the best option is two classifiers, one the smaller woven mesh I've come across and the other, the electrical cable tray which you recommend for different locations.
Everywhere I've been reading, particularly Canada and US seems to indicate the the smaller the classified material you can put through your machine the better.
Obviously I don't want to miss out on that "nugget" of a life-time. What is the average size you have recovered from say the Tuena over recent years Wal?

The Steeltec pump looks a nice unit but it is only putting out 1100L/H. I would have thought this is way too small for say a high-banker of Wal's proportions.
Wal, question, can the suggested min. flow rate of 240L/H for your high-banker drop if you use a narrower sluice?
JML
Jeff

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 10:28 pm

G'day Jeff,

Don't want to be too specific about nugget sizes...But lets say you used that grid where i go.. "in the Tuena region"..you would have thrown out at least 20 nuggets, and I would have put all your tailings back through my banker, wink

What you have to remember Jeff, is you have to move "Volume" ,and to classify less than 8mm in a hi-banker will not get you the volume at the end of the day. 4mm screens are great for river sluices and for cleanups. You will trap 99% of the Oallen flour gold with 8mm classification and you will get "ALL" the 1gm to 4gm nuggets from other locations. Just my view, but, experimenting can be a lot of fun and you get to learn quite a lot...The pump hasn't got the flow needed for volume work.

At the end of the day we all have to use what suits us best...good luck with your build... Cheers Wal. smile

Last edited by WalnLiz (15 May 2013 09:04 am)

jml
14 May 2013 10:45 pm

Yes, that makes a lot of sense and after all I don't want you following me all around the place re-processing my tailings tongue
Regards
JML
Jeff

1 user likes this post: WalnLiz

Jed
14 May 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Wal & Jeff
If the above Big River Water Pump is rated at 1100L/H & Wal's hi-banker design needs a min. flow rate of 240L/H then am I correct in assuming the pump would be a good buy/well suited for a high-banker of Wal's proportions?
If my assumption is incorrect then please explain why since 240L/H << 1100L/H smile
Reason I ask is that I plan to pick one up while in Vic/Melb.
Cheers Jed

Adventure before dementia!

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 11:01 pm

I promise I won't Jeff.. You have my word, wink ...Cheers Wal. smile

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 11:11 pm

Jed wrote:

Hi Wal & Jeff
If the above Big River Water Pump is rated at 1100L/H & Wal's hi-banker design needs a min. flow rate of 240L/H then am I correct in assuming the pump would be a good buy/well suited for a high-banker of Wal's proportions?
If my assumption is incorrect then please explain why since 240L/H << 1100L/H smile
Cheers Jed

G'day Jed,

The wx15 runs at 240Lper min ...14,400L per hour. The above runs 1100L per hour. ...Cheers Wal. smile

Last edited by WalnLiz (14 May 2013 11:26 pm)

Jed
14 May 2013 11:18 pm

Many thanks Wal for clarifying the typo. OK I will stay with the WX15 water pump. cheers Jed  smile

Adventure before dementia!

WalnLiz
14 May 2013 11:24 pm

Jed wrote:

Hi Wal & Jeff
Cheers Jed

G'day Jed,

The WX15 runs at 240 L /min ...14,400L /H....the above is only a transfer pump...1100L / H......Cheers Wal smile

Sorry Jed, I seem to have somehow repeated myself....

Last edited by WalnLiz (14 May 2013 11:28 pm)

the duck
14 May 2013 11:34 pm

If you want a cheap alternative try these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Water-Pump-1 … a2c&_uhb=1

Detectors owned and used Compass,Ace 250, Ace 350, AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro lobo, Fischer Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cortes Minelab GPX 4000

jml
14 May 2013 11:35 pm

Sorry, I caused that confusion with the typo.... litres per hour (L/H) instead of litres per minute (L/M).
JML ops

Ag Man
15 May 2013 12:41 am

For a regular design highbanker I don't think you can go past straight bars...
Easy to clean out/unclog(if they do). Depending on sluice size between 8-10mm would be my aim for the bar gap.

for pumps, I got a small Mitsubishi 2stroke 1" pump.

My little Highbanker was only 8-9" wide from memory that little pump was ample to run it at about 1/4 throttle.  115LPM max

Most medium bought highbankers are around 10" wide. Several blokes I know run them on similar pumps to mine at around 1/3rd throttle.

2Strokes are noisy(ear plugs...), but they are light. Mine is 5.5kgs I recal...

Figure out if you're going to need to carry the unit any distance as this will be a key factor on the size unit you build & size/type engine you use.

GS10 Highbanker, McKirk sluice, Garret pans, yabby pump etc., Whites Coinmaster 6000D

1 user likes this post: WalnLiz

WalnLiz
15 May 2013 09:20 am

the duck wrote:

If you want a cheap alternative try these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Water-Pump-1 … a2c&_uhb=1

That's exceptional value for a pump with that output. It would certainly run all hi-bankers. Would be great for all the guys who set up close to where their working. At 18kg probably a tad heavy for an "Old" bloke like me to carry into my fav locations....but like i said...exceptional value. Thanks for posting Duck, ..Cheers Wal. smile

goldbug
15 May 2013 10:23 am

I think the little Steeltec is a great little pump for small to medium sized higbankers/sluices, and at 6.5 Kilos (dry weight) its easy on the back.  I haven't had mine up and running as yet, but a buddy has one and had it going at Tuena a few weeks ago. He was stoked, it had plenty of output for his highbanker, much more than what he really needed even at idle. It was very quiet, that is compared to other pumps he heard going at the time. I guess it comes down to the style of highbanker one has and what sort of volume and velocity is required to get the riffles working properly..

I'm not sure if the stated flow rate of the steeltec is actually correct, I'll have to investigate that, I suspect it may be under stated, which is unusual as most pumps tend to overstate the max flow rate.  I think the steeltec would be marginal for the larger width highbankers with hungarian riffles. A few of the forum members saw the Steeltec running at Tuena and were quite impressed with it. Its Chinese and cheap but seems to do the job for my mates highbanker which is a hungarian riffle style at around 8 inches wide.

Last edited by goldbug (15 May 2013 12:57 pm)

goldbug
15 May 2013 12:56 pm

Some good news for the members in Canberra and Queanbeyan.. I was out and about in Fyshwick this morning (no Fyshwick jokes please smile) and found a new metal shop, oddly enough the shop is called  “the metal shop” smile

Inside was a display board of the types of grates/grilles and screens they have.. some were ideal for use in highbankers! The grilles come in large sheets, around 1.2 x 1.8 metres, but was told they would cut to size!

The Metal Shop
5 Collie St
Fyshwick (02) 6162 0237

1368582877_photo9.jpg

Last edited by goldbug (15 May 2013 12:56 pm)

aushunter
15 May 2013 01:37 pm

Man I need a shop like that here, and Wal spot on with the WX15 cant go wrong with that little pump.
The last trip we used a wal reproduction banker and used the WX15 and handled it with no problems and could of even run 2 smaller bankers.
Cheers
Brad....

35yrs digging and I aint rich yet.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site