Blackwood-Trentham area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SC75 said:
Im a bit late for this post but i went out today detecting in Blackwood for the 1st time and it was snowing, no bullshit it was snowing. Was a long day.
To bloody cold and a lot of nails.Lucky i brought my waders with me.
Will be sticking to Daylesford and Hepbern area.
I was also out there, snowed a few times today while I out

I only get one day to detect. I will go if its minus 10 and freeze my balls off or if its 40 plus, its the only way to go mate.
Hard work dedication. :D

I'm a recent return to prospecting (used to pan with family when I was a kid)... my family and I are in the process of moving up to Ballarat so I've been scouring the forums and such for good places to go and pan (debating whether/how to get/afford a detector). We are currently living in Hoppers Crossing but my wife and I alternate driving the kids up to their new school in Sebastopol so most days I do that I go on a little expedition to test some of the areas. The only trouble I have is with vehicle access... I've driven from one end to the other of both Creswick Regional Park (no water in the creek but I found a spot of water in a digging and panned a few loads) and Enfield State Park... both have "roads" that I wasn't too comfortable taking my car on (it's a 1999 Holden Commodore VT sedan). Am I worrying too much about what those tracks might do to my car (I know stuff all about cars) or are there some other more accessible places I can look at. After reading this post I'm quite keen to go and have a look at Blackwood (even without a detector I enjoy walking around and looking at the old historic sites)... but a bit nervy at the prospect of breaking my car.

Thanks everyone for your advice and Detrack for your research (I'm having a bit of fun with that myself though not nearly as skilled... I have my folder on the computer for "prospecting").

(sorry if this double posted)

Try Yanky rd Barry's reef just out of Blackwood mate. It's a good gravel rd keep driving along for about 2 km not even and you will come across a small BBQ on the left, there you will be in between Long gully and Blue gully. When it rains 10 mil or more it's starts flowing, it's good for panning and detecting.

SC75, that's very kind of you to share this information.

I may check out the area at some stage.

I have a standard sedan but I have two good legs and a lot of determination. I only pan this stage and I don't mind putting in the hard yards with a little help in the right direction, which you have graciously provided.

If you ever want a mate to help you shovel I'm your guy.

For now I will keep on dragging dirt back from my little spot which has just yeilded a few pickers today. Happy times!

Malcolm

Blennus,

If you ever want a hand let me know. I'm happy to help out as I am just learning the ropes myself and I relish the chance to extend my experience while helping out others on the way. I seem to have a knack for finding gold BTW ;)

Malcolm

If you're not doing nothing this Sunday Malcolm head down to Blackwood reserve, there having the Australian gold panning championships. If you're keen just check out the info on internet.

Thanks SC75... much appreciated. Next time I am taking the children to school, I'll head out and have a look.

Malcolm might take you up on that in the future... I'm ok with a pan (used to do family trips to Beechworth and Castlemaine area as a child)... curious to give detecting a go but might be a while before I can save up to buy one... will likely get a subscription to gold and gemstone magazine... never know might win one through that ;)

Well this post it is simply fascinating ...... I`m amazed for the hard work and amazed how helpful are some posts ..... now back to my research to find beginner tools :(

Yes master duck I will be a very good student and post more :lol:

I'm glad you all like and putting it together was not a waste of time,I for one is waiting for the rains to come. 8.(

With all this hype about Blackwood-trentham I had to get out there to have a swing.
1459329683_image.jpeg
parked up at this smiley face tree on Albion track.

1459329749_image.jpeg
I found some interesting wash type gravel that stood at least 6ft tall on the surrounds of the main diggings.

1459329837_image.jpeg
I found an adit. I didn't want to go into it looked like it was collapsing and I'm sure I heard something down that hole.

1459329982_image.jpeg
It's amazing how hard they worked back then. A lot of earth was shifted.

1459330060_image.jpeg
My finds for the day.

1459330178_image.jpeg
:)

Latest posts