new find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all will this arvo i packed the ute and took off for a drive out to Ophir on the way i stopped at a lookout near mt vic no coins only ringpulls then u got a great signal at the base of a big stone and dug out this at 8"down under some stone rubble it's around 6 1/2 "long and in excellent condition but the thing was it didn't give a iron signal on the eurotek pro
1428755976_2015-04-11_22.38.22.jpg

That's because you found a square copper nail(possibly, or most probably) I find them all the time, from boat building in the old days, to anything that broke down over the years that was built with whatever was at hand at the time(including copper square nails),... the old boys weren't fussy, they would hammer anything in if it was going to do the job(except for boats,... they were always copper nails).

Well its been a while been bizi at work and with this rain so haven't been out much finally got away to the farm and hit the old homestead again with the usual bits of junk axe heads bits of chain and horse shoes again found a 1941 roo penny 1913 com half penny a 1903 brit half penny and my FIRST EVER SILVER yeaaaa 1943 sixpence :D :D :D
1429965288_2015-04-25_22.31.46.jpg
1429965310_2015-04-25_22.33.13.jpg

By the shape, it could be the to part of an old hair/clothes brush

I think the Chineese used a lot of 90% silver, usually marked with a '90' and a makers mark. Not sure how it weathers but it would be nice if it is. They also used silver plate but don't know much about their underlying alloys.

Great find, great talking piece. :cool: