Fears going into the field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my take on this. :) :)
Having a weapon on yourself and then used to defend can be declared intent to cause harm.
It is a fine line.
Mind you, If some one is coming at you with a weapon, They are not there to peel oranges.
IF you got the whole scenario on film, You would be decreed to be defending your self.
Rocks make good weapons if used correctly and so does a shovel.

Nice Swords you have there. I use to have some great ones when I lived in Cairns but they were stolen :(

But Gary is right, I think it's best if I just don't go out alone :)

i am lucky enough to deal with a heap of really cool people at work one of these really cool people tried to stab me with a sword not too long ago, unfortunately things can go from worrying to bad really fast, i am alot more comfortable spending time in the bush on my own then in a built up city/town, you just need to keep your wits about you and having something between you and a person that worries you is generally enough to make them keep distance, in my case it was a baseball bat, but could be your pick, shovel etc, but your best bet is just having another person with you when possible, dont let things that may not happen stop you from doing what you want to do

ps.. the really cool people i refer to are not really cool, i just cant show sarcasm well in writing lol

Yep, interesting thread but not so sure about assembling recurves or pulling out swords when getting attacked. My wife won't go out prospecting by herself through the day because unfortunately there are some freaks out there, but then again, i don't like her being out at night by herself in some parts of Ballarat! I think women (unfortunately) are safest when in the company of others as gary o says. I always feel safe out in the scrub and i am carrying a pick, but in the end if a crazy attacks me from behind when i have ear phones on and a detector in other hand i'm more likely to come of second best.
Safety in numbers guys.

i think Scrounger is right unfortunately, seems like safety in numbers is the best bet, i miss the old days where people cared for others and are not just out to get what they want no matter the cost to others

Edit for spelling

jamie said:
K-Dizzle im a pawnbroker

Well that explains it then! After watching shows like Hardcore Pawn, I would be so scared working in a Pawn shop, especially around Wollongong. All the junkies that hand around near Picadilly.

Of course being sensible is the best option and distancing yourself from those you have a bad feeling about is always the right way to go. A big part of personal safety is to not put yourself in the unsafe position in the first place, in other words, remove yourself from danger. Unfortunately there are whack jobs out there and the old saying goes" Safety in numbers". Its not new, there have been whack jobs around since the beginning of man kind, when you hang out in numbers it keeps said whack jobs at bay.

k-Dizzle, sounds like Big Red is handy for protection :D keep her with you and you'll be right

Big Red is a boss! I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. I know she has my back too, I've seen her fire up when a group of girls tried to start a fight with me out at a club once. She is only skinny but she just looks bad ass :)

A personal body guard (and a hole digger, not mentioned in the job offer) when out detecting. Now, if i could only find enough gold to pay for that!! :lol: :lol:

Never been a fan of the weapons theory, it's not a do unto others vibe, more a do unto me vibe if they happen to get a hold of it. I've always loved my dogs for that, a good dog that loves you and is devoted to you will literally be your best mate in any situation. But again that loyalty doesn't come for free, it's built on trust, understanding, and respect. When the dog does not recognize this in someone they quickly begin to engage their defensive instinct.
My couch buddy despite her easy living still has this behavior set.

GaryO said:
Come on guys .. forget all the hero tactics and weapons . Anyone out alone encounters risks , snakes , holes etc . The weirdo factor is low but for a female its HIGH , there is unfortunately only one way to go and that is with more than one , and preferably with a male or two in the group.

Tell that to the bloke whose burnt skeleton was found down a shaft in WA!

GaryO said:
so a weapon isnt going to stop a creep with intent

Send one my way Gary, I will demonstrate how they do!

;)

dwt said:
Not to mention another thread but I did previously mention about a drone with a pop out long slide .45, I'm getting the feeling it's going to fit in well here ;)
Then again, I did also mention a zombie apocalypse................... Perhaps that's where I lost everyone before? :/

Baahaawhaaha ;)

Phew!!.....Well i aint gonna say boo about my 'poison frog' tipped darts in the blow gun then, or my lovely wife :p

"BACK OFF PAL, IM PROSPECTING"

34oqzv5.jpg

Classic Meta, and he looks so happy for a bloke ready to commit mayhem if called upon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts