Fears going into the field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K-Dizzle said:
My dog is a bit special, he thinks he is a cat :( He would probably lick them to death.

haha classis
Even a special dog will bark first when they notice something in the bush

K-Dizzle said:
I have a dog, a knife, tattoos and piercings, but i'm only 5'4 and 50kgs. I'm thinking of doing a self defense course of sorts because when it comes down to it, I've got nothing :(

thats a great idea
There is some very basic things you can learn to protect yourself easily
my wife is tiny like you and she runs all the time she did a coarse and it made her feel alot better as she often has blokes giving her unwanted attention she also takes the neighbors dog now which has helped massively keeping people away.

True, I might bring the little s*** head with me next time :)

I think it's needed for little people like me and your wife, not just for going out looking for pretties, just for life itself.

Plus it would be pretty bad ass.

Yep my wife is literally under half the size of me and she scares the crap out of me
She often uses her newly learnt skills to make me behave
Best thing is be proactive not reactive and a course and dog are good proactive steps

Ive started to think twice while alone after reading the events of the missing WA fossickers.
Usually when I find a bit of gold I forget about everything else tho and concentrate on the good things :)

K-Dizzle said:
I have a dog, a knife, tattoos and piercings, but i'm only 5'4 and 50kgs. I'm thinking of doing a self defense course of sorts because when it comes down to it, I've got nothing :(

Take care out there K , try always take a freind if u can.

gedanate said:
Friends are good. Dogs make good friends, too... and they don't ever covet your gold!

My Step mum and I always share our finds, they are our preciouses, not her's or mine...That's why I probably couldn't take anyone else. I'm like Gollum when I find stuff. My preciousssssssss.

K-Dizzle said:

Hey K-Dizzle
Your "Pick & Shovel" are great tools to keep someone at a distance & then there are rocks to chuck it does not matter what it takes to keep someone at a distance that they can't harm you just do it!!!!
I am a 2nd Dan Black Belt in "Karate" & when I was training we did a lot of self defence stuff, it is surprisingly easy to get out of someone's grasp if you have been shown.
The only problem I have is the self defence stuff you occasionally see only TV, it appears they are not training right, throwing punches to the side of the head or above it, there is no consequence if you don't block it or get out of the way, also I see the techniques to free yourself from a, wrist grab or bear hug, choke etc they don't appear to make you work for your freedom, what I mean here is when the person goes through the motion the offender lets go without a real fight, this WILL NOT happen in the real world, train hard or don't bother.
By all means go & check out some training but take what I said above with you & assess what is going on.

There is no clean fight when you fight for your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Oh I totally agree with you, I'm not above going for a swift kick to the family jewels or attacking the throat and eye balls if my life was in danger, If I'm going down, I'll be going down causing as much damage as I can on the way. I didn't even think of my pick, It would cause some damage to someone if need be.

A little can of Impulse deodorant or the likes to keep in your pocket to spray to the eyes works a treat, also comes in handy after you have just worked up a sweat kicking the s#*t out of someone. Or you could blend up some chillis (like the ones the guys on here grow) and simmer them in oil and mix it up in a little spray bottle. Very hard to chase someone when you cant see them. However, whatever you use can also be taken from you and used against you.

Cracka.

Being prepared for any event is key out in the bush!

Al Pacino said:
Want to play rough?

Okay, say hello to my little friend

THE JAGUAR - TAKE-DOWN RECURVE (Survival) BOW from Martin Archery!

18j12a.jpg
359zlw0.jpg
alney0.jpg

Take Down meaning, it easily comes apart in 3 pieces to pack into your bug-out, prospecting kit!

The ultimate in silent hunting, archery target shooting back at camp, a bush survival tool and self-defense weaponry!

Some pieces of a Take Down Recurve Bow Kit can be Multi-Use items this is always a plus.

I like for everything I pack to have at least 2-3 other uses.
The first and most obvious is the Bow String. Bow strings range in length from 4 feet to 6 feet and are incredibly strong. You could use a bow string in a variety of ways.

Bow Drill for Fire
Snares/Traps
Cordage for Shelter Building
Trot Line Fishing

Silent, affordable ($299 on e-Bay), no license required, Multi-Use, re-use your arrows (carbon fibre arrows are best for a Recurve Bow), make you own arrows out bush if the need ever arises.

If it was foul play in the recent WA prospectors demise, they are still out there......if they try any funny stuff with me, they are in for a pointy awakening!

Its the kind of protection you hope you never need, and most likely you never will.

Staying safe means staying prepared ;)

Meta

Our word of warning, we now are very cautious when in WA as we had 2 differnt persons come to our camp on seperate occasions when we were camped alone in an isolated area. One area was 50kms from cue, the other area 100kms from leinster. Both locations were kms from nearest track. We now make sure we have another vehicle / prospecter with us and have set up hidden / camouflaged cameras around our camp.
One of the uninvited persons was apparently wanted by police and he came into our camp in daylight hours then day later in middle of night and was armed. Will not say what happened but scared the shit out of us and we packed up in dark and made way to nearest police.
the other incident was a couple and they made it known to us that 'some people could dissapear down a mineshaft' if they did not cooperate and let them work the patch we had found, this patch was only a house block large and they wanted to detect 5 mts away from us. We reported them to with rego details ect. Police would not do anything as no crime was commited. Threats are not a crime?
when you are in middle of nowhere and somebody comes along and is threatning is not a good feeling.. travelergold

Metamorphic said:
Being prepared for any event is key out in the bush!

Al Pacino said:
Want to play rough?

Okay, say hello to my little friend

THE JAGUAR - TAKE-DOWN RECURVE (Survival) BOW from Martin Archery!

Take Down meaning, it easily comes apart in 3 pieces to pack into your bug-out, prospecting kit!

The ultimate in silent hunting, archery target shooting back at camp, a bush survival tool and self-defense weaponry!

Some pieces of a Take Down Recurve Bow Kit can be Multi-Use items this is always a plus.

I like for everything I pack to have at least 2-3 other uses.
The first and most obvious is the Bow String. Bow strings range in length from 4 feet to 6 feet and are incredible strong. You could use a bow string in a variety of ways.

Bow Drill for Fire
Snares/Traps
Cordage for Shelter Building
Trot Line Fishing

Silent, affordable ($299 on e-Bay), no license required, Multi-Use, re-use your arrows (carbon fibre arrows are best for a Recurve Bow), make you own arrows out bush if the need ever arises.

If it was foul play in the recent WA prospectors demise, they are still out there......if they try any funny stuff with me, they are in for a pointy awakening!

Its the kind of protection you hope you never need, and most likely you never will.

Staying safe means staying prepared ;)

Meta

OMG!! I WANT ONE!!!!

Cracka: That is a good idea :) I have access to Chilies :)

Yeh, is a great piece of kit to have with you K.

Im not a hunter, Im a prospector with a love for the bush, bush craft, camping and bush survival.

Archery is a hobby (because i suck at golf) and I prefer target shooting back at camp or down the range.

I would never hurt an animal unless it was a survival situation and i needed meat to build protein, nor would i hurt anyone else unless my life is threatened.

Used responsibly, they are heaps of fun! ;)

I love weapons, but I am the same. I don't think I could kill a living thing, especially not an animal, unless it was for eating and my life depended on it. It would be easier for me to kill another human, but again only if they were trying to take my life or the life of someone I loved.

When I was in Vegas I got to shoot a AK47 and a 9mm handgun, was thrilling :) I've always wanted to shoot a bow.

Come on guys .. forget all the hero tactics and weapons . Anyone out alone encounters risks , snakes , holes etc . The weirdo factor is low but for a female its HIGH , there is unfortunately only one way to go and that is with more than one , and preferably with a male or two in the group.
How many armed security gaurds prevent a robbery ? Bugger all! The criminal ends up with his hand gun , so a weapon isnt going to stop a creep with intent, but a scenario he doesn't want to indulge in may.

Rant over :cool:

Latest posts