Fears going into the field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roscoe said:
Grizzly place a few of these stickers on your van or car mate. They think your a full blown redneck mate, I don't know about you fellows but i wont be visiting this camp at night. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1615/1428277339_gun_sticker_1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1615/1428277437_gun_sticker_2.png

LOL Roscoe......, I see a sign on a shed near Gaffneys Creek / Woods Point that makes me smile every time i drive past it and it reads "Smith and Wesson protect this property" it sure gets the message across :D

https://www.google.com.au/search?bi...0.0.msedr...0...1c..64.img..0.0.0.yttjI14vBNA

casper

Apart from the "Oallen Panty thief" haven't had any issues so far. My wife is a set of cossies down....lesson learned don't hang ur privates in public!

Twapster said:
Apart from the "Oallen Panty thief" haven't had any issues so far. My wife is a set of cossies down....lesson learned don't hang ur privates in public!
Probably the same low life that borrowed my mineralogy book and map. :mad:

Zuke_Lynzy said:
If anyone is dirty enough to sneek up on you I call it fair game for a decent boot in the nuts! Followed by a hand full of sand in the eyes.
I hope you checked that handful of sand before you threw it, don't want any pickers getting away in the eyeball of your attacker,
Then I suppose you would have enough time while the other guy is busy coughing up his aggots!! :lol:

When camping out in the bush, especially the more remote spots, I will often pack the 12 gauge and take the dog for company. Probably unnecessary, but I have always figured it is better to have and not need, rather than need and not have, and you never know when dinner might stroll out of the scrub :)
I seldom happen upon other people when out swinging anyway.
As others have mentioned, it is usually the places where people are in abundance that tend to be more dangerous. It is the psychologically unbalanced and the drug affected miscreants wandering the cities and suburbs that are more worrisome.
A concealed carry handgun permit would have come in handy a few times over the years!

Maybe I am a pig wimp but if I am remote I carry a pig sticker knife for safety which gives me a sense of protection and doubles as a useful tool, or is it the other way around :lol: If you are concerned about self preservation I put communications, water, and more water on top of my prep list.
Jon.

Yes,
The fight or flight syndrome can get you into more trouble than you think.
Always being on edge clouds your judgement and lends you to make rash decisions.

Easier said than done, Jaros. I have heard it said that the unthinkable usually happens when you're already feeling sick or tired. Don't expect it to occur when you're primed and ready for it.

However, I agree, your chances of being a victim out in the bush are very remote, unless you have been down to pub, bought a few rounds of drinks for everyone and told them that you just struck it rich! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The shark attack situation seems to coincide with the wolf creek scenario. Every day life events like getting behind the wheel of a car are far more life threatening but it's hard to accept the ultra rare occurance of an outback murder or being chomped on. If you can take onboard the stats and exercise reasonable caution such as avoiding the pub brag as gedanate mentions then you're highly likely to be just fine for a long life tromping alone in the bush.

Being a girl, a small one at that, I often worry about going out fossicking and prospecting on my own. There are some real weirdos out there and knowing my luck, I would end up choosing a location near the next Ivan Milat. I always carry my survival knife with me, but it wouldn't take much to over power me. That's why I don't usually go alone, if I do, I got to parks and creeks near me.

I'm not a small bloke at all people tend to keep there distance just because i have tattoos which can be a good thing and a bad thing at times but i always have my skinning knife on my belt not really for protection but for its handiness surprisingly how many people notice the knife first and comment on it.
Can't beat a Dog and a Knife
They're the best mates you can have.

I have a dog, a knife, tattoos and piercings, but i'm only 5'4 and 50kgs. I'm thinking of doing a self defense course of sorts because when it comes down to it, I've got nothing :(

Latest posts