Fears going into the field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone , a real newbie here.
I have always loved going bush and when I was younger would love going up to
Sofala, Hill End etc.
Camping and 4wd was always so much fun, however, over the years I have become
soft and whilst still love to travel, I now stay in........."Motels".
About 2 years ago I had a triple heart bypass but have recovered well and now have
more spare time on my hands (sort of retired, but only 58).
Sorry, my question is that I now have the Gold fever and fossicking fever again and would like
to try my luck again (plan on camping rather than motels).............Does anyone have any REAL
fears about going out alone to enjoy their hobby?
I don't have any mates that also enjoy this hobby so will be going it alone. I must say that I
like my peace and quiet and would like to stay away from caravan parks etc.
Times have changed and apart from carrying a gun around (not legal), I feel a little exposed
to some of the weirdo's that appear from time to time.
Or am I just being Paranoid? :rolleyes:

Cheers
Grizzly.

Hi Grizzly, welcome to the forum.
Enjoy your stay with us, but i don't think you're going to get much company carrying a "gun" and an unlicensed one at that around.
Jaros :/

Hi

The world is not as bad as some think/believe...

Your just being a little Paranoid?

That being said, the trick is to just take normal precautions. And remember that the biggest issue in the bush is Drop Bears at mating time.

I mean if you went out to the local and had $10K in your pocket and people knew... Your putting your self in harms way.

Your biggest safety issue is your self. Water / Firs Aid and at least 3 ways to contact people..

I'm not saying weirdo's are not out there, they are. But, like you I go out alone, most of the time.
I live in S.A. and detect in the VIC Golden Triangle, given the relative smallish areas, I would say that pretty well every day I've been out, I've met up with like minded prospectors and met some great people. I've also met up with people in caravan parks and gone out with them as they were happy for the company. Needless to say, if they have found a patch they keep it to themselves, lol. I guess it also depends on how remote you go. I'd be a little hesitant to detect around WOLF CREEK :)
I like most carry a reasonable sized gold pick, I dislike violence, but will use it to defend myself. I try to be very aware of my surroundings, that also helps.

I carry a PLB for emergencies, but most times I'm within 100M of my car anyway. With the numbers of tracks crossing the GT, you're not very far from one in most places.

BEING CAUTIOUS AND AWARE, IS NOT PARANOIA

and, it aint gonna stop me going out.

Given your health issues, tell someone, even the caravan park staff, roughly where you are going and expected return time, carry a 5W UHF CB, carry a PLB, have a decent 1st aid kit in the vehicle, carry a compression bandage with you, take water with you. Most of this has been covered in other threads.

Grizzly, as with you I love being out my own.
My biggest concern was leaving my gear once a fortnight to go shopping but I never had a problem.
Every now and then you may meet someone on your travels who may ask to many questions ie, finding much, can you show me, tell em nothing.
Grab yourself a dog, makes sleeping at night mush easier lol.....
Good luck in your travels

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Yes, I think that common sense is the only way to go.
I did come across as a wimp didn't I? (What would my man crush, Tony Beets say?)
As for those mating drop bears .............well, I'm not a busty Swedish backpacker, so
they should leave me alone. ha ha.
Thanks again (love this site)
See ya out there. :D

Sorry about the avatar Jaros, hope the new one is ok.

If an area is baited it should always be signposted,,,,,,, I just move to a diff area. Am yet to see a dog bait in my travels. Hope to keep it that way

It is always reassuring to know that I have a 6" pick spike in my hand or very close by.
If unsure of somebody approaching just rest the pick head up on your shoulder with spike end up.
Just in case!
I have yet to resort to such measures of swinging the pick most people are friendly and curious how you are going.

If anyone is dirty enough to sneek up on you I call it fair game for a decent boot in the nuts! Followed by a hand full of sand in the eyes.

AngerManagement said:
Your biggest safety issue is your self. Water / First Aid and at least 3 ways to contact people..
How true is that!
How many people do you hear of being attacked by weirdos in the scrub?
How many do you hear of becoming victims of misadventure through poor planning & preparation? The good old Aussie "she'll be right" attitude brings us undone at times.

Something to said that, if alone, be more cautious wearing headphones. Most people are not trained or experienced in moving through the bush with stealth, so you're more likely to hear someone when using a speaker.

I've never spent any time in the VIC bush, I'm told you have to watch your back down there ;) but in most parts of Australia we've only ever stumbled across lovely people in the bush. I think it's because the mindset is a lot different to the speed and stress of the city. People are more relaxed and friendly.

Johnny Appleseed is visiting our event here in Stanthorpe so a PLB is on our shopping list. The old 7" Garmin Street Pilot is sick so I'd really love to have the Hema Navigator 7 as well but we haven't found any gold yet this trip to pay for it 8.(

I used to get worried going solo in the bush for 1-2 weeks at a time 20 odd years ago as I often thought if something happened to me either by accident or foul play nobody would find me for days, I had my old WB panel van break down half way from Eildon to Jamieson years back and had to walk 5 hours into Jamieson to get help (not fun), the RACV mechanic was busy for another 2 hours before he could drive me back up to repair my car.
Now days I don't bother worrying so much, as long as you've taken the usual provisions of first aid kit, comms, food, water etc. then get out and have fun while you can, if we let our fear of "what might be" get in the way of life then we may as well just stay home.
I've come to the conclusion if my life is in the hands of some weirdo that's going to dictate when my time is up then it's not going to matter if it's in the bush or crossing the street at home, I believe my date is on the calendar already (who knows when) so I may as well just enjoy it while I can, life's too short to spend it worrying about the things you have no control over ;)

Your in way more danger crossing the lights at Flinders St Station!

Be prepped, and then go and enjoy!

Maybe the adventure and excitement of exploring has shielded me from the fear of misfortune, as I don't really think about it too much.
I usually leave details of my destination with loved ones, and return home with pictures and stories. I think this has led them to worry a little, as they all chipped in and bought me a PLB for my birthday :)

We came back to the Stanthorpe showgrounds (our geocaching base) early today because Johny Appleseed was here with PLB's and GPS's for sale. We wanted the little pocket sized PLB but he didn't have any small ones. Then I asked for the Hema 7" GPS as the old 7" Gamin Street Pilot is sick. They only brought one along with about 1000 potential GPS customers present. So we walked in prepared to spend $1000 and walked away with nothing :(

Grizzly I agree with the other fellows you have more chance of getting hurt in town then out bush camping alone. I agree with Brutus get your self a little dog that barks they are the best alarms. If you can't own a gun then maybe a bow or good sling shot. I have a much better sleep knowing my 44 mag is under my pillow though. :)

Grizzly place a few of these stickers on your van or car mate. They think your a full blown redneck mate, I don't know about you fellows but i wont be visiting this camp at night. :)

1428277339_gun_sticker_1.jpg

1428277437_gun_sticker_2.png

condor22 said:
Something to said that, if alone, be more cautious wearing headphones. Most people are not trained or experienced in moving through the bush with stealth, so you're more likely to hear someone when using a speaker.

And that's why I'm using earphones in one ear only while detecting in the bush or parks. It maybe just me, but I need to be aware of my surroundings.
Karl

Latest posts