Gemmasta quill very tight to turn (help please)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozjono

jonathon
Reaction score
Hello I bought a gemmasta 2 faceting machine today, I have never used a gemmasta but i think the quill is very tight to rotate, I have taken it off and cleaned it. I haven't used any lube on it ,should I ?. This machine has only cut 1 or 2 stones apparently so maybe there tight from new. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Bought mine second hand, it had a very light buildup of rust but a good dose of machine oil freed it up.

I'm learning to cut on a Gemmasta and I've noticed the same, it's very tight to rotate. I chose a huge piece of smokey as my first stone, if the stone I had chosen were closer to the size range of your typical faceted stone it wouldn't have worn my hand out so much I think :) This machine has been well used so I think it might be a feature of the machine.

There are three adjusting screws on the quill losen a little. Lube with sewing machine oil. Its tight from the lube drying out from lack of use.It will losen with time.
First you get my dream machine now you want me to help you with it . lolololol you did so well.

Thanks for replying guys, bit of sewing machine oil has helped a little

rough2cut said:
There are three adjusting screws on the quill losen a little. Lube with sewing machine oil. Its tight from the lube drying out from lack of use.It will losen with time.
First you get my dream machine now you want me to help you with it . lolololol you did so well.
yer thanks heaps for your advice ;)

Latest posts