minelab SE Pro vs E-trac

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know the SE Pro is discontinued, however it seems to be very much like the e-trac? Thinking of a secondhand purchase of either later this year. The SE Pro will be more affordable, but does the e-trac offer much more?
Thanks

THey are different, whilst the Etrac is newer the iron and ground nulling software is different. Minelab actually went back to the Explorer software for nulling in the 3030 as it was better. Etrac has more precise Conductivity ID, but on the other hand the Fe ID is more precise on the explorer (Etrac tends towards '12' for all 'good' targets whereas Explorer used the full range 0-32)

If I was buying a FBS detector today it would either be a Explorer or a 3030. But, YMMV.

It is and it isn't, depends what you are looking for though. If you are looking for coins then the Conductivity is the more important reading. An item might read low conductivity but also low iron - dig it up because it could be a very deep threepence! The iron numbers don't read out nearly like you would expect in a typical single frequency VLF. Although a '32 32' reading on the explorer is 100% of the time a piece of iron. You might sometimes get a 15 30 for example that could well be a deep threepence. I nearly always just used the tones on mine and rarely the numbers, the graph gave a great indication if you are used to a screen but really in most situations a target that sounded nice on the explorer probably was nice.

rocketaroo said:
Thanks, the Fe ID feels more important to me.

Hi RR
Just my opinion but do not fall into the trap of buying a screened ID machine and expect the numbers displayed to tell you what it is under the coil. You will get yourself very confused and disappointed and quite frankly walk away from good targets. The numbers bounce around for a whole range of reasons and are not reliable except for shallow targets. If you get yourself fixated on the numbers you can forget finding coin spills, you'll walk away from them because the numbers will be different to what a single coin will be. My Explorer is a good machine but when i purchased it I nearly wrapped it around a tree many times. I thought I'd buy a good quality ID machine and my junk digging days were over. To some extent that was true, but my coin digging days were over as well. The ID simply doesn't mean alot, its a good guide as to what may be under the coil. 11.02 = 5c, 10.07 = 10c, 08.12 = 20c, 08.20 = 50c, 05.26 = $1, 07.27 = $2, anywhere from 03.26 to 10.29 =pre decs.
But guess what? Pull tabs = 11.02, 10.07 and the ones off cans of tuna = 08.20. Bottle tops of energy drinks and bundy bottles = 07.27. These numbers I know by heart and are relevant to my area and soil. If i drive 2 hours west they will be different.
On the beach my explorer finds coins at over a foot in depth. In fact, everytime I dig a low conducive 5c from a foot in wet sand a smile runs across my face but guess what, the numbers will show iron when first detected of around 25.17. Its only when you remove the top 6-8 inches that the numbers start to "become"more accurate.
The Explorer is a fantastic machine but don't buy it for the numbers. Buy it for the Smartfind screen and use the numbers as a rough guide or only relay on the numbers for coin shooting recent drops.
I get my best results using the Explorer in the complete opposite reason I purchased it for. I don't use the numbers at all, I use smartfind and look for locked on crosshairs. For parks,I only use discrimination in clean areas and in trashy I run wide open and hunt by tone. As crazy as this sounds you get around the famous explorer iron nulling problem. On the beach, wide open only otherwise I miss deep targets.
these are just my opinions and others may have a different point of view. Would I recommend an Explorer,,,,, absolutely! Would I recommend people use the number Id,,,,, absolutely not! I think the metal detector developers have a lot more work to do before they can confidently sell a machine on the accuracy of their digital readouts.
It's a shame you don't live closer, you could borrow mine and see if you like it.

towelly said:
Just my opinion but do not fall into the trap of buying a screened ID machine and expect the numbers displayed to tell you what it is under the coil... etc, etc, etc

Excellent comment, Towelly - thank you for sharing so much hard-won personal knowledge. I learnt from it and I'm sure others will too. :)

grubstake said:
towelly said:
Just my opinion but do not fall into the trap of buying a screened ID machine and expect the numbers displayed to tell you what it is under the coil... etc, etc, etc

Excellent comment, Towelly - thank you for sharing so much hard-won personal knowledge. I learnt from it and I'm sure others will too. :)

Totally Agree.

In my opinion ID screens work to a point depending on a few things.
Depth may also give you a different target reading as well.

The other thing to consider is the recovery speed.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thankyou, for the great reply :) The smartfind screen draws me to this detector. The numbers...,well I thougjt they would be a great help, shame they are not.

towelly said:
rocketaroo said:
Thanks, the Fe ID feels more important to me.

Hi RR
Just my opinion but do not fall into the trap of buying a screened ID machine and expect the numbers displayed to tell you what it is under the coil. You will get yourself very confused and disappointed and quite frankly walk away from good targets. The numbers bounce around for a whole range of reasons and are not reliable except for shallow targets. If you get yourself fixated on the numbers you can forget finding coin spills, you'll walk away from them because the numbers will be different to what a single coin will be. My Explorer is a good machine but when i purchased it I nearly wrapped it around a tree many times. I thought I'd buy a good quality ID machine and my junk digging days were over. To some extent that was true, but my coin digging days were over as well. The ID simply doesn't mean alot, its a good guide as to what may be under the coil. 11.02 = 5c, 10.07 = 10c, 08.12 = 20c, 08.20 = 50c, 05.26 = $1, 07.27 = $2, anywhere from 03.26 to 10.29 =pre decs.
But guess what? Pull tabs = 11.02, 10.07 and the ones off cans of tuna = 08.20. Bottle tops of energy drinks and bundy bottles = 07.27. These numbers I know by heart and are relevant to my area and soil. If i drive 2 hours west they will be different.
On the beach my explorer finds coins at over a foot in depth. In fact, everytime I dig a low conducive 5c from a foot in wet sand a smile runs across my face but guess what, the numbers will show iron when first detected of around 25.17. Its only when you remove the top 6-8 inches that the numbers start to "become"more accurate.
The Explorer is a fantastic machine but don't buy it for the numbers. Buy it for the Smartfind screen and use the numbers as a rough guide or only relay on the numbers for coin shooting recent drops.
I get my best results using the Explorer in the complete opposite reason I purchased it for. I don't use the numbers at all, I use smartfind and look for locked on crosshairs. For parks,I only use discrimination in clean areas and in trashy I run wide open and hunt by tone. As crazy as this sounds you get around the famous explorer iron nulling problem. On the beach, wide open only otherwise I miss deep targets.
these are just my opinions and others may have a different point of view. Would I recommend an Explorer,,,,, absolutely! Would I recommend people use the number Id,,,,, absolutely not! I think the metal detector developers have a lot more work to do before they can confidently sell a machine on the accuracy of their digital readouts.
It's a shame you don't live closer, you could borrow mine and see if you like it.

The ID numbers are a great tool Rocketaroo, but they are just that, a tool to use in combination with other features on the Explorer. You just have to come to the realisation that ID numbers on air tests don't always equal the same in the ground, especially if you use the Explorer's learn function to ID various targets (setup via air testing various coins etc).

Everyone has personal preferences on how they setup and use their detectors, personally I find the ID numbers a very useful guide. You can take snippets of info from those numbers to give you some sort of idea of what you are looking at, sure it isn't always accurate due to various factors, but it is still useful all the same. As with most detectors with ID screens, there is a limit on how deep the ID's are effective to, and that is where you start relying more on the tones to pick out prospective deep targets.

I pretty much never use the cursor display, and run with an open screen with little or no discrimination. I find this is the most efficient way to run the Explorer where is has the best response time on targets without excessive nulling from using too much discrimination. It's just a matter of training your ears to listen for the relevant tones for whatever you are targetting. This is the sort of detector where you can either make things overly complicated as you like, with various discrimination patterns and settings, or you can have it set up as pretty much a turn on and go detector.

The issue of ID accuracy I don't think will ever have a perfect solution, at least not in the short term. There are simply too many factors to take into account that will influence the numbers, like target orientation in the ground, depth, mineralisation, other close by junk/good targets, iron halos etc etc. Yes there are faster detectors on the market that can work more effectively in iron/junk laden areas, but the ID's will ultimately still be affected, and you don't get the advantage of having two sets of ID numbers to work with.

It is also not the sort of detector you go swinging like the Ace or some of the single frequency detectors with ultra fast repsonse times. Running with an open screen in the more junky areas requires a relatively slow swing speed to cope with the sheer amount of target info feeding back through to the detector, though this can be made easier using a smaller coil for better target separation.

Like Towelly mentioned, you will always dig some junk, there is simply no avoiding it. The threshold between digging a good target and a junk target at depth somtimes is simply a too finer line, and to not dig those targets risks the possbility of leaving something good in the ground.

I can't sing the praises the Explorer without pointing out some of the negatives. Firstly is the weight, or moreso the weight distribution, especially if the shaft set up is wrong. It can lead to a lot of weight and stress onto your hand, especially the lower two fingers. Add a large coil and it is about time to think about owning a sling or harness. This was remedied on the Etrac with a different angled handle design to distribute the weight more effectively, making it lighter to handle despite actually weighing more than the explorer. A common fix for this is to run the bottom shaft shorter, and have the coil swinging closer to your feet, the longer the shaft is set, the heavier the detector becomes.

Another issue is in areas of high EMI, which sometimes leaves the explorer near unusable due to constant chattering, depsite noise cancelling or manually selecting frequency. This is reasonably rare, but I do have a couple of spots that can only be detected with a single freqency detector.

The other main beef I had was regarding the nulling when using discrimination, this can lead to masking of targets if used in very junky ground, and should avoided if searching for deeper targets, or just avoided altogether.

Out of all the detectors I have used so far, the Explorer is still my favourite as a multi purposed detector, aside from gold prospecting. I have tried quite a few detectors in the past, but prefer to grab this one everytime I go out.
It solved the issue of having a seperate park detector, and also a very accomplished beach/wet sand detector, with both rolled into one. :)

Latest posts