older analogue detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Okay, so I've watched some youtube videos of older analogue detectors, you know the ones that take a trolley load of batteries. One thing generally in common across a range of models is how sweetly they hit on a coin or ring. Also of note was how cleanly they blank out Iron. The modern digital machines have certainly added a pile of features, are a lot lighter and much more economical to run, but they seem to have gone backwards in term of their smoothness in signal and discrimination. My X-Terra 70 and CTX3030 are sort of a good blend of the old and new, but my Tesoro Bandido II umax is like a raging bull. Old school in appearance but as aggressive and chirpy as they come. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, I guess Im just thinking about detectors and it seems everyone (users & manufacturers) is chasing sensitivity and target separation, at a major detriment to the stability.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

I agree, have you tried using a Fisher Gold Bug, geez they make a racket - T2 and F75 too, hot as. I think using those helped me with the GPX though, being able to listen 'through' the noise to hear the target....

I think as good quality targets dry up though, the chirpy hot machines with super fast recovery are going to be the way of the future. Think of the old Sovereigns and compare to your umax for example!

Latest posts