❗Digging Techniques For Sensitive Areas.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats the vid, where I learnt the slit method. I dont often get, the two sides to join as easily as in the video. I find that tapping the grass, with end if your trowl, on both sides, will help to close the slit.

That is also the video i started with...
And although this vid is like a Hollywood text book scenario , it is a very good guide
In real world Australia ,these conditions are very few and far between.
but it shows what we all should strive to replicate and achieve ;)

PabloP said:
AngerManagement said:
If only I had grass and soil like that...

Agree 100%. If there is grass it is usually struggling, and dirt is like a rock.

Rob.

That's why it is even more important to take care and use methods that minimize the disturbance of grass roots..

The big circle plugs I see some cut; is no good when conditions are not ideal...

A large V or Slit and a screwdriver or like tool to get to the coin/item..

Beach is different and so are most places.

One place I hit on occasions is all sun-bakers or just covered by dust/grass clippings.. For that the Pin pointer is all I need :)

I wouldn't be game to be seen there with a metal detector in the first place. I'd be too busy covering my back to find a target.

Great technique , but don't know how things would turn out tapping the bottom of a couple of these with a screwdriver. First foray at night in a park with ctx3030. Lasted about 2 minutes before I got out of there . Police said they were live.
1465212569_image.jpg

C type plug digging and retrieval.
tools required

1493025287_20170424_175726.jpg

find your target and pinpoint where it is
1493025287_20170424_175635.jpg

dig 3 sides of your plug, out around your target
1493025287_20170424_175748.jpg

1493025334_20170424_175836.jpg

1493025387_20170424_175828.jpg

lift, and fold the plug back over the uncut side (so the grass remains attached)
1493025410_20170424_175853.jpg

place any dirt out of the hole onto a cloth(or anything handy)
1493025411_20170424_175945.jpg

retrieve the target
1493025411_20170424_175956.jpg

ha, a 2c from the silver backyard
1493025478_20170424_180008.jpg

tip the stored soil carefully back into the hole
1493025510_20170424_180036.jpg

and compact it down
1493025510_20170424_180050.jpg

fold the plug back over into the hole and compact that down too
1493025529_20170424_180109.jpg

as you've seen, there should be hardly any way to tell where you have been except under close scrutiny.
The 2c coin was replaced into the hole before I closed it back up, there's no need to keep the targets from my back yard, they are there for practice for when someone decides they want to learn how to detect. :D
I hope this was helpful. ;)

Heatho said:
People such as these are ruining the hobby. :(

"We're gonna keep coming back", what till the whole area looks like a warzone......... :eek: :N:

I totally agree with you mate, what I see is a total lack of regard for anyone else.....I cringed at the thought the large iron piece would be just dumped on the ground like the other trash.....

golddiggerart said:
Heatho said:
People such as these are ruining the hobby. :(

"We're gonna keep coming back", what till the whole area looks like a warzone......... :eek: :N:

I totally agree with you mate, what I see is a total lack of regard for anyone else.....I cringed at the thought the large iron piece would be just dumped on the ground like the other trash.....

A shovel just digging holes in a public park or sports ground is just not right. Throwing the 'found' trash around is also just not right. Their total lack of respect for basic metal detecting tenets is abhorrent.

Councils are going to crack down on everyone if they continue to act like that. All it takes is a few bad eggs to spoil it for everyone.

btw it looks like they are from Brisbane or thereabouts. I may be a metal detectorist but I'd still report them to council if I saw them tearing up and trashing the parks like that.

Rookie butchers :eek: ....And were going to keep coming back and redig all the junk that already dug and left there so we can dig the same junk over and over and over and over again :eek:
That's a shovel for digging trenches :N: :eek:
Edit....Fail :rolleyes: maybe link'll work :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9VQoJv3BMg&t=68s
Here's the Butchers again :eek: 10 seconds in...Too deep....a 2 inch deep key ring :rolleyes: :eek: Think he means he dug a trench too deep :N: :eek: You hacker :mad:
1.03 in..... if it's rubbish again :eek: Give up :eek: ...Smartest thing she ever said her whole life :p
Looks like they made them self a Green Hornet trench digger :N: :rolleyes: .

Ramjet said:
Maybe some positive posts on their channel to alert them to better techniques?
Says I need a channel for that RJ :/ ...Here's a sticker that should be on all Detectors
1500359179_hqdefault.jpg

What ever happened to that campaign :/ ...Does Clean up Australia Day even exist anymore?
Here's the last comment :eek: ...There going deeper yet :eek:
Robert 2 months ago
Why to deep? Dig the deep signals, the best stuff is always deep! Good luck and happy hunting :)
TillyWaterFae
TillyWaterFae2 months ago
Hahahahha i try to tell him!!
Oh no..... :eek:
I've had hacks hit one of my prime spots and they dug up foot deep cans which one of was my marker point where I ground balance next to it :/
I had already cherry picked 3 PD's from above and beside it, they didn't even throw the can in the bin and all the rest of the plugs were turned upside down with the cap on top and squashed back in :mad: ....Funny thing is that spot is Pros only due to the amount of junk there, The place makes your ears bleed :eek:
20 junk targets per swing :eek:
They also hit the most emptiest beach here that's full of foot deep junk that washed in and left craters every where and the junk left on the sand pile that they were too lazy to kick back in :rolleyes: ...Think I got approached by the wife one night and she asked what I was doing...Told her I collect ring pulls and bottle caps as that is the only stuff on that beach :lol: :lol: ..Think that upset her a bit as that's all they probably got :lol: :p
Hopefully they chucked their Tector in the bin at the end of their holiday, shame they couldn't do that with the junk :/