RACER Rampage and Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could not wait to get out to our spot at Hill End to go over the area thats been giving it up for the Fors Gold.
Well the RACER didn't disappoint me in performance. It was right up their with the FG and then some.
Here's a few bits from day one, the local boys took us out to a spot they said had a bit of junk. The top half of the pic is a button fest. Not a bad spot.
The bottom half of the pic was from our usual spot at Hill End today.

Click each image for a better look

Ok after a slow start this morning, due to NOT wanting to part with my pillow, we coffee-ed up and hit the road to Hill End to try a few new spots.....ok so they didn't pan out to well, and by lunch we hit the old spot.
Me on the RACER and my other half on the Fors Gold.....first to come up with a goodie was me with this broken badge/hair clip/Broach call it what you like, a good find using Two Tone, gain 85 and ID mask 25 which is a good call in this area.

The RACER exhibits a little front end weight compared to the FG, and i must admit as soon as i held a RACER i knew there was going to be an issue after working the Fors Gold. Not so much an issue, probably more an adjustment im going to have to get use to after being spoiled with the FGs ergonomic splendor. Beach goers will love the weight and neutral buoyancy of the RACERS coil.

The big in your face screen of the RACER is perfection, no issues with the menu system and a speedy on the fly switch from 2tone to 3tone with no lose or pause in the swing. Big sound emanates from under the arm housing even with the protection cover installed, no issue with sound and today was a good day for this as it was relatively windy. The RACERs ground balance feature is simple and fast just like that of the Fors models, and the pie chart updates as you swing giving an easy view of the ground mineralization reading. Iv never seen one update in real time like the pie chart on the RACER, however iv never really payed much attention to the other detectors that have a similar feature. This just happen to catch my eye when checking out the speed in which the numbering system fluctuates from a low iron grunt to a hi-tone within an inch of coil swing. Truly an amazing machine when it comes to unmasking in hi iron infestations. If your not into visual display units...simply get a Fors Gold/Core.....yet both the visual and audio line up well on the RACER and you soon learn with this model, you can hunt with much more reliability using both visual and audio reference. Like the Fors models, if its out of range of the visual reference, the audio reference is still hot and strong.

The pic below was a stunner, sitting alongside a rusty nail and a button to boot, yet the flickering readings kept my interest up as i played with the coil over the target trying to decipher what was taking place beneath the coil. 2x hi tones could be heard along with the unmistakable grunt from a rusty nail. Thinking large bullet shell, you could imagine the shock i got when this came up, then to spot a brass button still sitting in the lose dirt in the middle of the hole. Lucky dig.??...maybe.?

Being selective on what we dig, i decided late in the day to start sifting through some of the smaller hi tones, which we have been ignoring till the lager stuff has been sorted. One dig in particular pulled my up. When i finally got it out of the hole i got this warm fuzzy feeling come over me looking back at the size of the hole, than marveling at my finds smallish size.
I can only guess its the chain of a fob watch.??...If so, looking back at the other pics and finds with the FG, iv almost got the whole watch from this area now. lrh

Another good dig, not sure what it is. Could be the badge of a buckle.???

The Chinese coin was found in this same area, the missus got that today with the Fors Gold. That gave her a much needed boost and she was on fire after finding it......the Fors Gold is new to her, yet she is finding it a lot easier to use than the units she has been using over the last few weeks....Fisher F19 ..MXT.

Next outing, we will be giving the small DD coils a run, as this area i feel is starting to run short on rewards....not!!

Hi JeffP,
Yeah got to home rule the first day....thats where the button fest happened. :lol:

Cool .
From what you saw ., do you reckon this place would be worth detecting for Gold ?

Gold was found there by one of the gents using an SDC. Small as it was...its was gold.

Narrawa, thanks for your thoughts on the Racer, any chance of doing some coin shooting with the Racer to see how it compares to some other popular detectors? Seems to offer good unmasking properties with very fast recovery time. :)

Goldpick,
The RACER offers the coin shooter a three tone option to add another tone. Much the same as the Fors models, yet they tricked the 3 tone a tad more to give it back a little lost depth/sensitivity. This comes into play at about 90-99 on the gain. The std 70 gain setting from factory is ample from what iv seen so far. Iv pushed it to its limits with little in the way of any real benefits, however im doing this on undug targets...not air testing.

As a coin hunter the recovery speed is pretty much unaffected by actual swing speed. The V3I is certainly not in that category, and there is no hit and miss per swing.....it does not false like the v3i, if there is something in its reach, there is either a visual display, audio report or both. It does however survive on a proper ground balance, which is simply and fast to accomplish.

Testing it up against the F19 saw the F19 struggle to keep a solid hit on targets i thought were easy finds using the RACER, this was carried out on many occasions....same thing we did when using the Fors gold vs the F19. Nothing wrong with the F19 but its certainly no match for either Fors models or RACER when it comes to relic hunting mineralized grounds. It cant match either models for depth which is understandable given it freq and coil....not in our ground anyway.

If your into cherry picking for coins, speed counts and stuffing around in menus looking for v=breaks or disc options is none existent on the RACER. You'll soon learn where our currency falls....and like most other makes and models, you'll not escape ring pulls, bottle caps or twist tops. Yet i put up a quick readout of those items when doing simple air tests. What i didn't put up was that if you run a little more disc than the factory setting, you'll get a stuttering over rusty twist tops. Circle the target while waving across it and pay attention to both visual and audible reports for a better dig or not confirmation. Small coil movements over the target helps identify long rusty items as in one direction the stutter may disappear leaving only the hi tone.The 11x7" coil is very tight when it comes to unmasking.
In the picture below, you'll see the broken bit of a silver chain from a fob watch.....this was found after digging up the larger piece. Isolated thinking it to be much larger than it was. Very small swings made isolating it very easy. Silver items ring out nice and clear. VCO audio is employed on the 2tone program, not that you would know after using it a while...a quick flick to 3tone over your target will highlight just how little VCO audio is added to 2tone....nicely done as im not a big fan of VCO audio...but i prefer the 2tone program when relic hunting.

The RACER is as its name says...built for speed strait out of the box. The only time i read the instructions was to learn how to turn the torch on, and the back light. It almost feels like you've been using it forever since there is no real need to study the manual. Try that with a v3i or 3030. :mad:

Here's a list of things i have a gripe with.
'S" bend shafts are old hat.
The coil is a little too weighty....(neutral buoyancy for use in water)
Some color in the screen would have been nice, but not essential.
The toggle switch placement tends to be a little too far back when accessing the forward position (GB).....my finger keeps slipping off. :lol:
The color of the detector and shape of the rear control box reminds me of a collectable pushbike from the 60s-70s. :|

Thanks for the reports... I'm very interested in this unit for myself. I'm waiting for the anticipated release of the impact and the new Tesoro machine before making a decision.

I wouldn't wait for the Impact...its a mythical detector thats just an idea at the moment. I cant comment on the Tesoro machine, but i did have the Cortes some time ago and it was good detector.

Got out to Hill End as we do most weekends and turned up a couple of nice keepers using the RACER with the RC26 DD coil.

First one weighing in at 2.9g and the other one coming home at 3.2g....the bigger one gave no TID at about 6" ..yet a slight chirp from the audio is all that was needed to spark my interest.
Went looking for relics...not gold, however im not tossing them back. :lol:

windows 7 screen shot

capture screen

upload pic

adult photo hosting

No not on privet land.......no wait a minute now!...yes...yes it was on private land come to think of it.....my new patch!!! :lol: :lol:

Nah just on the common.

Good to hear there is still nice nugs coming off the common, I'm yet to get onto any out there- about 40 hours spent on the common for zilch 8.(
Well done.
Reeko

mbasko,
I could probably use the 4500 in this spot...tedious, but doable . However it wouldn't be as much fun as pulling sizable slugs from this spot using VLFs in amongst the trash. :lol:

That bigger slug come from under a largish rock....kinda blew me away that it actually detected it. 8) No TID...just a repeatable hi-tone that blended with low-tone which these detectors are very good at. Upping the ID mask to much when in mineralization above 80 on the GB, or 3/4 on the pie chart tends to tighten the hi-tone... ringing its neck to much and the deeper hi tones tend to go low if the mineralization is high enough and the target soft enough. Having the live pie chart gives you a look at how fast the mineralization changes. This also helps you decide if the ID mask needs altering at all.?
Bring on the VLF/PI combo's.

Reeks, 40hrs is just getting started out there, don't let it put you off mate, there is plenty of gold still out there....much of it has no rhyme or reason for where its found neither. Iv done ok out there over the years and i know others who did even better.

Well done Owen , I am spewing I couldnt get out there , seems it isnt just the clutch like I thought , the gear box is stuffed ! :mad:

Well done Narrawa, that's bloody excellent, hmmm I'm interested, just been reading up on the Racer and it looks very interesting, looks like a very good coin, jewellery and relic detector. I've been tossing up between a Deus and 3030, now the Racer is a serious contender too, the price is especially nice and I like the mineralisation chart.

I've probably had one beer to many to think straight but what's TID?

Latest posts