Gold Coast detecting/panning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

So I took my GT16000 out on Sunday around the Southport area on the Gold Coast, heard rumours there was an old gold mine around there, western side of the M1, went into a dry creek, looks like it was flooded in the last bout of heavy rain down here as some of the trash washed up in the shrubs up higher looked fairly fresh. Anyway, swung my detector around (had a very impatient and very fast walking companion with me who would do 2 or 3 swings over a patch if it made a sound, if he couldn't find it just charged on) found some sandy soil that was giving off a signal so I shovelled up some into a bucket for panning later. after chasing my co-detector up this dry creek, my partner decided to go try detecting in the adjoining park when there was a wall of shrubs blocking the way, didn't want to fight through it.... So after much persistance from my companion, wanting to try higher ground, up in the hills to try and find a washed out gully, we found a spot a little higher up, he found quartz and wanted to swing his way down this gully, as I fully expected, we found nothing, not even a sound, my partner was absolutely shocked we didn't find anything there...

I was somewhat frustrated as I told my companion that there was specks of gold found in the original spot I chose for us, this is coming from a close person who was with the guy when he panned, saw it himself in the guys pan, I just hope the few hours wasted I will have something to show for with my bucket of river sand, I dug the sandy soil from where I got a little bit of an exciting sound and from in between rocks and tree root systems, anyway, if I have anything to show after panning, I will be sure to share. Next time I go, it will either be on my own or with someone that has more patience and isn't trying to break the 100m sprint record expecting ot pull up an 80+ ounce nugget 3mm from the surface.....

Apart from the frustration, it was an absolutely beautiful morning in the hinterland, listening to the birds singing away, the wind through the trees and no bloody traffic noises, was just amazing.

Good luck to you all out there in the field, may you find plenty of yellow, or even a little just to keep you ticking over!

Cheers

HH

Hey hunter Harvey,

If you head out that way again I would love to come with you. I live on the GC and being new to all this it would be great to follow someone.

I would love to know where you went also so I could try my luck.

:)

Hi Hunter Harvey,
I am new to the Gold Coast region (20+ years in Cairns) and have had some success in the Hodgkinson River. I would be interested to hear from you the whereabouts of this old mine. I sold my detector some years back and now just enjoy panning as I find it most relaxing, especially on a hot day with a cold beer while swishing around a bit of dirt. My son is approaching the age where he would like to come and try it too.
Cheers,
Justin

I will put up a map I have of the old Gold mines around the GC, as soon as my net stops stuffing around.... More chance of finding Quartz Crystals (Amethyst and Clear) and Thunder Eggs..

Most of Northern NSW and SE Qld has not being searched by Mining Companies over the years due to the amount of National Parks and sensitive Areas and un-cooperative Land owners.... So not much info available....

I have dug Crystals from some areas that are very close to the coast and miles away from Mountains... I can't give you exact locations as I will be shot if I tell...
There is a good Fakebook page titled SE QLD and NTH NSW Fossicking Group, or along those lines anyhow....

LW....

Here is a map with Gold locations.... Most were only a showing of Gold, some were worked years ago.... Most are well and truly built over and Private Property now...
Yellow dots are Gold Locations...
1566625158_screenshot_6.jpg

LW....

Im keen to tag along and look for gold or gems around Gold Coast. I know of few areas but still testing different areas close by

Most of the old mines are well built over now...
If you venture just over the Border or there abouts, you can find Amethyst and Clear Crystals and Thunder-eggs...

Just be aware of where you are.. Lots of Private Property, National Parks and Army Land... all no-go areas...

In QLD, you also require a Prospecting Permit to Prospect or Fossick anywhere in the State...

In NSW, you only require a permit if you are in a State Forrest...

LW....

Still heaps of old gold mines around here but most of them are in national parks.

I have a permit for qld. I did find some gold out at Warwick few weeks ago but ideally looking for closest to home on Gold Coast thats why I have been doing tests of different spots

Im very keen to meet up with other panners Im in Jimboomba but willing to travel to the coast :D

Gympie isn't too far away if you want to try panning at deep creek. Few pages on facebook to get the latest.

I am now at the Gold Coast having lived in the Gympie Cooloola Coast area and panned there for several years.
I am really keen to find somewhere closer to the Gold Coast...there must be gold in some creeks somewhere close to the Coast ??

MikeB05 said:
I am now at the Gold Coast having lived in the Gympie Cooloola Coast area and panned there for several years.
I am really keen to find somewhere closer to the Gold Coast...there must be gold in some creeks somewhere close to the Coast ??
Gday MikeB05. Hint Try old newspapers in Trove , about areas you want to look for them Just south east from Warwick is something, Very good reading

MikeB05 said:

Im keen to go for an explore and see what we can find, I know of one spot so far. Send me a pm and will try organise somthing

MikeB05 said:

I cant see the pm you sent me, it says I dont have access.

Spacepig3000 said:
MikeB05 said:

I cant see the pm you sent me, it says I dont have access.

You need 10 post's to activate the pm function, add comment or ask questions in any thread that you want to, you'll reach the magic number in no time :Y: but the original pm won't be there I'd imagine but you will be able to pm MikeB05 at a minimum :beer:

Latest posts