Magnet Fishing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came across a magnet fishing vid on youtube, and watched a few more. Seems relaxing, and fun, they use a rope, and a strong magnet. Very interesting the finds, guns, bikes, signs etc. You never know whats in a creek, or river.

Lots of that stuff seems to go on in Europe by the vids I've seen(I watched few in the past),.. I like the wells and the stuff they retrieve from them from WW2, and the canals where they troll for goodies.

only just seen it sorry RKT, was a good look though. :p

This one should do the job! I wonder how small they make electromagnets. ;)

Edit: maybe not such a good idea around water. :D

1467120171_images-2.jpg

No joke guys, the magnet needs to be a tough one, but you'd need to be prepared to retrieve it if stuck to a car or very heavy object like a bridge..
But, I gave it a go with my girls a while back in local busy rivers but the $60 magnet I bought was weaker than a fridge magnet once you try to drag the target back to yourself. Definately go neodymium magnet but I'd suggest to coat it with an epoxy or resin to prevent it cracking the coating exposing its toxins. Snagging supprisingly wasn't an issue with all the rocks and logs and branches, I was using a strong rope, not stringline too.

My magnet is 4"x4" and 80lb lift force which I thought would be enough..honestly its no where near enough. 'Targets' simply fall off as you pull it along the rocks etc.

Either much bigger magnet or neodymiums.

These little beauties showed up in the mail today. Cheers to AMF Magnetics. Ordered Monday night and arrived Wednesday morning.
https://magnet.com.au/?gclid=CIm-tcjczM0CFUoJvAod4x0EZw It was about $60 for the 3 delivered.

The smaller one, 42mm, has a pull force of 68 kilo and the 2 larger, 48mm ones allegedly pull 81 kilo each. I thought we can use them individually or in multiples. I made up a couple of wooden blocks for using them together. It should do for a test run. I stuck the small one to the side of a wagon at work. Man is it hard to pull off in a direct pull. Definitely need a rope and not thinner material. I guess I will coat them in resin as suggested by AR

1467185758_aa.jpg

1467185758_ab.jpg

1467185758_ae.jpg

1467186232_ad.jpg

They wont want to travel to far from the shore if they keep pulling a rope over the inflatable like that lol. Just hope the magnet doesn't pull up a knife or barbed wire

It could be the next greatest golfing tool invented, used to retrieve your club from the water after a big dummy spit :lol:

AtomRat said:
Definately go neodymium magnet but I'd suggest to coat it with an epoxy or resin to prevent it cracking the coating exposing its toxins.

Any suggestions for what type of resin to use? Throwing my smaller magnet at things at work and it's cracked already. I tried arildite but it wasn't much good so I cleaned it off.

1467335399_img_2016070121394.jpg

Maybe something like solvent based stone guard should work, not underbody sealer it stays sticky.
Only other thing that might work would be a gelcoat for boats.

Latest posts