Best faceting machine for a serious hobbyist starting out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanting to buy my first faceting machine, was looking at a Graves 5XL it being both modern and affordable.

Can anyone offer any advice, alternatives etc?

Cheers :)

For $2300 odd you are getting an affordable machine with the Graves - others to consider in the cheaper price range is the Tom Thumb @ $2750 also made by septics and imported by Gemcuts of Ballina.

Gemcuts also bring in the Patriot machine @ $3600 with a digital readout and dial indicators. The head & Patriot was designed by Laurie Hall of Cairns who also designed the Hall Extra $3300 (delivered) and now made & sold by Unamit.

All can cut good stones. The current Australian faceting champion won the title using a Hall Extra but you will be able to cut good stones on any of these machines. The Patriot & Tom Thumb machines had initially issues that Brian Boyle from Gemcuts has raised with the manufacturer. Also look at some of the other Aussie machines Gemmasta & the VJ from Sapphire Engineering: more expensive but good machines all the same.

Would recommend you join a local gem club and see what machines the Club and it's members use then look at what suits you both in price & design. (the Graves also make a Left Hand version).

I have 3 machines all from different manufacturers and each has plusses and minuses when compared to each other.

No matter what you decide on just do it and I hope all your meets meet.

:/

Cheers Dug.

I've been a member of the local lapidary club for about a year, machine I am currently learning on is a Gemmasta. Just chasing a variety of opinions before making a decision. :)