i don't know dwt.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the heading States, I have no idea, so I'd thought I'd throw it out to the guys & gals of the gemstone section,
Caught in A pan, recovered from the top of a clay line which is under some 4-5 feet of mixed sized gravels, which is under 20 foot of top soil from the side of a hill, my first thought was glass, but impossible from where it was found, it's longest point is 20mm, width 15mm, it appears to have something in it, when rolling it around in the sunlight colours of blue, green, red, orange and silver are visible, that's about as descriptive as I can be in the one hit, it dose mark glass enough to catch your finger nail on, but I've been able to do that with Quartz before.
?????
1423374946_image.jpg

1423375056_image.jpg

1423375154_image.jpg

WOW, mrs dwt really should go get a manicure :lol:

Topaz comes to mind straight up, but has the colours of jelly opal, whatever it is, i'd love to facet it!!

Mate that is a quartz crystal tip. I can tell by the rainbow effect in the stone an can see the water worn tip shape of the crystal when it was formed.

I have pulled a million of them from the creeks around Glenn Innes.

Others may have differing opinions.

Cheers

Retirement Stone said:
Mate that is a quartz crystal tip. I can tell by the rainbow effect in the stone an can see the water worn tip shape of the crystal when it was formed.

I have pulled a million of them from the creeks around Glenn Innes.

Others may have differing opinions.

Cheers
Riteo, do the ones you've found RS look as though they have an object in them?
When you look into this one the object inside appears to have sides/edges to it!
Really didn't come out well in the photo, I was going to take a ball peen hammer to it but mrs dwt suggested I put the question out first, just in case :D

facet is another way of saying cutting it or making it into sparkly jewellery to me it looks like quartz as R S said its got a crystal structure of a quartz crystal and nothing like topaz topaz is much more brighter and looks almost like a raw diamond

dwt said:
Zuke_Lynzy said:
I found mine at rushworth....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1377/1423378565_image.jpg
And I thought my what a lovely stone'
Yeah, they look pretty similar, and geographically not that far apart :cool:
Nice ring dude :D

I should head back there and try to find a few more... They would look nice cut into jewellery.

LOL the rings a matching pair from Ireland, that's my second one as you can see I'm a bit rough on bling! Also I had to squish it in the vise to get it back on after breaking that didget, it might have to be cut off next round.

It looks like its got six sides dose that make it quarts ? Topaz has eight sides( I think)

Even diamonds smash under the hammer(Ive had too much wine now to know any better dwt, wishing it was diamond, but I think they only have four sides to the point.

Went back and found another rock this one was up on the bank not in the creek'
1425174518_image.jpg

Are they anything special? I'm sure I can find more...

1600817101_img_20200922_042526933.jpg
1600817118_img_20200922_042142154.jpg

I found this buried halfway into the ground on the top of a filled in ditch I noticed it because it was sparkling can anyone tell me what it is please thank you

I'd say it's quartz with internal fractures which creates those colors when the sun hits it at the right angle, they pop up occasionally at stannifer. good find :Y:

Latest posts