Sapphire

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.
We found this sapphire on a fossicking trip to Oberon. It was my first 'proper' find and I'd like to get something made from it if possible
Can anyone tell me
a) if its worth anything? You can see it has one large inclusion (is that the right word? like a crack inside?) but I think its quite a large stone??
b) What do I do about getting someone to cut it for me if that is possible?

DSCF1642_zpsa5d44345.jpg

This shows the size in comparison to my finger

sapphire2_zpsb4e57929.jpg

DSCF1647_zps4ec7256c.jpg

This shows the dark blue colour under natural light

Hunting the yellow said:
i can't see any links or images humm maybie there microscopeick on the page somewhere lol :D :p

Really? I can see them fine, maybe try refreshing the page.

Wow!! really?? 3 carat?? so I could definitely get a cut stone from it? Thats very exciting! Would you consider this a nice colour for a sapphire or a nice stone? Its really hard to know.

Naynay said:
Wow!! really?? 3 carat?? so I could definitely get a cut stone from it? Thats very exciting! Would you consider this a nice colour for a sapphire or a nice stone? Its really hard to know.

Hi Naynay,

The stone looks clear enough to cut from the pic. ;) Hard to advise without checking under a loupe as to which type of cut would be suitable. An "Oval" or "brilliant" is possible, as there seems to be enough depth in the stone. You will have to try and avoid the inclusion if possible, as a smaller stone without inclusions is worth more than a larger included stone.

My advice would be check out the nearest Lapidary club to your area as most have dedicated "Faceters" within their ranks. They might even cut the stone for you if the quality is there...Best of luck ...Cheers Wal. :)

Fantastic. :) There is actually a club about one street away from here in the mountains. I've been thinking of dropping by one one of the nights to check it out, as I am sure it is a hobby I would like too.
Thanks for the advice. It's a really nice feeling to think that I found the stone and could get it cut for jewellery. I thought finding it was the exciting bit!

Agree with you Naynay...can't get a better feeling than seeing those sapphires in the sieves....almost as good as digging up those gold nuggets....only more consistent. good luck with it. Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts