Silver rocks in quarts vein

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came across a purple looking rock little bigger than a golf ball and inside was full of silver rocks any ideas?
It's fairly heavy and can be crumbled into quite fine when crushed ill pic some pis up
1423041653_image.jpg

G'day BIGRED, I have no idea really what that is, 2nd pic is great, any chance you can do a bigger one of the Purple rock? Cool find, there are some Geologists here who will more than likely know.

Wash your hands after playing with it too until it's identified too mate, can be some poisonous minerals.

Thanks heatho haha great just before I read your post I thought it would be a good idea to bit it and tast to see if would help identify it.

Ok thanks heaps golddigg@ there is still some there my mallet broke and it was too hard to get the rest out so someone will find it

Cool... i think galena is sulphide compound of lead vs pyrite beingn sulphide compound iron. I reckon PabloP is probably right mate.

I was gonna guess Arsenopyrite but it just did not look quite right to me, probably is though. Any Garlic type smell when you scratch it with a metal object?

G0lddigg@ said:
is that iron arsenic sulphide morph?

Sulphur oxide yeh GD.......most likely arsenic and antimony contained in mineral matrix.

It just looked like the quartz has that classic arsenic staining to me!

OP said it had some weight about it which would also make sense with a SG of around 6.2 (actually contains 0.3 - 0.4% gold ususally)

Classic gold bearing indicator, might pay to further follow and sample that vein it was found in.

If you cant scratch it with a mild steel nail, its most likely Arsenopyrite!

Latest posts