under the surface - scuba diving finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could only dream of something like that down here in VIC. I think a few years ago they emptied Albert Park lake & it was a short lived bonanza for the quick.

Did you find the wallets on land or in the water?

Robert Le Mal said:
I could only dream of something like that down here in VIC. I think a few years ago they emptied Albert Park lake & it was a short lived bonanza for the quick.

Did you find the wallets on land or in the water?

on the side of the road mostly

two were recovered after being stolen > dumped but the owners are still grateful to get their ID and cards back

also returned a few mobile phones too .

one female owner was very relieved to get her phone back with its memory card intact . i didnt look on it to see if there was funny photos on there . not my business.

that is good to see. there are rediculous amounts of old bottles out there, did you find them on the surface of the sand, half buried?

most bottles have been sitting partially buried in sand, a few wedged under large rocks and only a couple buried under sand.
The ones that are mostly buried come out the best since they aren't covered in barnacles & sea smeg.

Beer bottles were black I thought(I'm not that old to know though).
Police have an amazing ability to contact people, when all our resources would have been tried and failed, they are able to make contact with people within the minute(I've seen it done with these here eyes of mine),..totally amazing super ability they have.

When finished cleaning bottles wipe them down with baby oil they come up great but it does make them slippery so be careful, they were beer, or types of beer on the goldfields they had all sorts of concoctions
IF the have writing on them or a black horse they are worth more and your right about albert park lake and around luna park i still have my bottle collection hasnt seen the light of day for 20 years and all my bottle books are in there as well

Hi Robert, there is another fellow on the forum(newbie) into scuba ( avatar 300) . he,s in QLD. (for those of us interested in underwater detecting).

thanks Silver, I also have been in touch with Andrew (I think his tag is Mcurbin) who has been trying snorkelling and fanning to find targets and who's done a lot better than I did.
When the Excal is repaired it will be a case of "Thunderbirds are GO!"

Looks like you enjoyed yourself there.
I haven't touch my Excal for about 3 yrs now and need to get out and do a bit but I am tied to the house atm
Well done
Cheers
Brad.....

Got washed out yesterday, only 2.5 hrs into the dig and a massive storm moved us out of there.
Did get some more rocks for the rock wall and 3 bkts of dirt, the gullies are really ripped up from previous flooding.
Will get out there again soon.
Cheers
Brad...

If my health improves i would like to meet up out there soon for a cuppla days-with my dog Nelson and woops my wife Carolyn-she loves camping and i do have a few spare detectors.
Hope to meet.
Jaros. :p

Cool pics Robert. I used to do a bit of U/W detecting with a minelab...1500 I think ? Jettys around Adelaide were a treasure trove. Lots a old n new coins and lead ! So much lead ! Which was ok cause I used to melt it down and make my own dive weights.

thanks Rumble, I reckon I'll find sinkers (already finding lots just by sight).
Hopefully find some more valuable metal too.

crap diving conditions yesterday, visibility as low as 1 meter some times, but at least the sand is moving around on the bottom.
So now I have 3 old 1 pint milk bottles at home and I found a 1/4 pint.... now I need a half pint to make the set :)
Small pill or chemistry bottles were all close together, I found the stoppers rolling around on the bottom (they're rubber so I thought they should be floating...but anyway) wasn't sure that's what they were but stuck one in a bottle underwater and they fit. One of the small bottles still has a cork inside it.
Jacobson bottle would have been fantastic if it wasn't broken - the glass is heavy but seems fragile.
Rawlands bottle is apparently a 5 ounce lemonade bottle (made in Ballarat).

Lots of wooden on the bottom so I suspect there's more stuff down there - well I "hope" there's more because I might go back tomorrow.

1422781933_williamstown_31jan2015.jpg

That's a good hunt Robert,.. not to mention that you seem to be getting a reserve diving setup together. I have a few square milk bottles lying around in the shed, I think it must have been an experiment to se how they packed in together and travelled without breakage,.. not to many of them in my booty so it seems the round ones must have been stronger over all. Hopefully some of the deeper ones will be even older and in perfect condition for you(fingers crossed).

thanks Silver - I reckon I'll have a dozen pint bottles before too long.
And yes I have spare masks & snorkels that the kids can use so it works out.

If I find any really cool bottles I'll definitely post them up here.

BTW what dates did they make the square milk bottles? I've never seen those.

Robert

not sure Robert, I'll head out and get a photo up in a few minutes,... I'm not a bottle expert, but there may be some amongst us that will know/find out the answer for us.
Robert Le Mal said:
thanks Silver - I reckon I'll have a dozen pint bottles before too long.
And yes I have spare masks & snorkels that the kids can use so it works out.

If I find any really cool bottles I'll definitely post them up here.

BTW what dates did they make the square milk bottles? I've never seen those.

Robert

Ok, here we go,.... rare as Square milk Bottles "as the new saying goes",.. that's right you've now seen it all here on the forum, the elusive Square Milk Bottle in both One Imperial pint and Half imperial Pint examples(Florin for sizing).
1422790445_sam_8790.jpg

1422790476_sam_8793.jpg

The Imperial Measures.
1422790580_sam_8791.jpg

1422790580_sam_8792.jpg

Base of the bottles.
One Pint
1422790602_sam_8794.jpg

Half Pint
1422790602_sam_8795.jpg

Any takers on Age and use info ?

Latest posts