"Prospecting" North Queensland.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rc62burke said:
Hey Colmaca
Best to give all these spots a call before hand, if you send me your email I can send you some info like GPS
cheers
Lee
looks like I may be at Western Creek Station tomorrow Lee PM sent

Anyone heading to Western Creek next month? Hopefully I should be up there about the 15th July. It would be good to catch up with some other forum members.

gcause said:
Hey Brother,

Is it still open to prospecting?

When I was up in Cairns I heard it had sold and the new owners shut the gate on prospectors. Any updates on that?

It was one spot I wanted to get to but never did because of that. I went out to the Tyrconnel gold mine a couple of times instead which is on part of Mount Mulligan station.

I heard that Tyrconnel had changed hands also just before I left Cairns at the end of December. Any updates on that?

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Grant.

Just to clarify some facts, Tyrconnel Gold Mine http://www.tyrconnell.com.au is not part of Mount Mulligan Station, they are both separate entities.
Mount Mulligan Station is however currently closed and the link posted earlier is no longer working. See this link for more information: http://mountmulligan.com/

An update on Mt Mulligan and Tryconnel,
as of a month or so ago the Tryconnel Gold Mine has new caretakers and is re-open to the public for fossicking.

Mt Mulligan and Tryconnel were purchased by the same developer, Mt Mulligan remains closed at present as I understand the new owner is in the early stages of converting part of the property to a resort / farm stay type business with the view to eventually re-opening the popular Mt Mulligan campground.
Kingsborough is also still open to visitors just over the hill from Tryconnel.

Cheers,
TGW.

I'm amazed at how generous you all are with information on this forum. I am more amazed at the number of people who don't seem to do any research and just draw on those who have been there before them. For me - half the fun has been doing all the investigations necessary. I'm off to Georgetown area in three days .. here's hoping!!!!

mcgram said:
I'm amazed at how generous you all are with information on this forum. I am more amazed at the number of people who don't seem to do any research and just draw on those who have been there before them. For me - half the fun has been doing all the investigations necessary. I'm off to Georgetown area in three days .. here's hoping!!!!

Hi mcgram,

Could you please let us know how you went in the Georgetown area. I'm thinking of heading that way in a month or so.

Cheers mate :)

Mr Tee .. just back from Flat Creek Station. Enormous! But it's a long way from home to travel. Peter and family make you feel very welcome. Campground is basic but provides showers and FLUSH toilets. Not too shabby for the remoteness. It's $10 per person per night - 7 nights for $60. Many had bikes and/or quads. You look around at the number of others vying for the good stuff (about 20 when I was there) and wonder about the chances. BUT it's sooo BIG. First night - full moon over the camp. That's what it's about. Called into Western Creek Stn Campground on the way out. Saved for another time .. but looks as good. Most left with some colour!!! But that's only part of it .. eh! Enjoy the experience if you go. Georgetowns great.

rc62burke said:
Hi All
For those members interested in "Prospecting for Gold" in North Queensland, here is some information that may make planning any trip a little easier.
Located around Georegtown "Etheridge Shire" there are a number of properties that members of the public can access for the purposes of metal detecting & camping.

Access to these properties is by pay to detect, contact the owners for current pricing.

those are as follows,

"Western Creek Station" - Which is located about 20 km South of Georgetown, operated by Shirley Young & Geoff Brown, this is a working cattle property & has only been open to the detecting public since May 2014 so it is relatively untouched, there was some good finds here since opening.
There is a designated camping area which is huge & has toilets & hot showers for campers.

"Flat Creek Station" - Is located a further 13km South West of Western Creek on the same road, this is also a working cattle property run by Peter Henry, it has been open for quite some time but still produce good gold, there are toilets & hot showers at the designated camping area.

"Dells Hole Station" - Is located South West of Forsayth & is run by Kevin Young, this is also an operating cattle property, this property has been open to the public since 2011, there are no facilities at the camp, so you need to take in all water.

I will continue to add information here in the next week.
cheers
Lee

Hi Lee,

any new areas that have opened up lately?

Also, do you know any areas that are accessible in the wet season also or is it all just dry season detecting?

Cheers,
Martina

Hi Martina,

The information in the original post is still accurate. Western Creek, Flat Creek and Dells Hole are the main pay to play properties in the Georgetown area. I go to them all regularly and always find gold with my SDC2300.

They are open all year round, and if you have a 4WD then wet season is not a problem

Cheers,

Steve

I was up that way again just before summer 2019 and everything is still current from this last posting. Flat Creek was $10 per night or $60 for 7 nights. Western Creek has a great grassed camping area with quite modern facilities. Top spot.

Hi and thanks for all of the info on this thread.
I'm headed for Clermont and then north to the Georgetown area in the next 2 weeks so will check out Western Creek Station while there and leave feedback here.
I'm not confident though, all I have is a Minelab Gold Monster 1000 which I am about to try outside of my backyard. Very keen though.
I hope Western Creek Station allows generators on the property.
Once again thanks for the info, especially Lee who started it all.
Bob

Hey Bob,
Welcome to PA buddy.
Inverter gennies are fine on ECO and just running the fridge, charger and lights..

Mate, the monster is ok... think out out of the square, go really slow and listen....
You would be surprised! Think about moving rocks, branches etc..

I got a 3 grammer in the campground near the shower block... didn't even have a pick!! Beer in one hand, detector in the other!!
Gold is where you find it!

Latest posts