Another possible crinoid stem and a few other marine fossils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all, thought i would throw a few photos up of my other find which i guess could be another crinoid stem maybe elongated due to metamorphism? And a few other marine fossils i found today whilst out looking at the local geology, nothing too special.

First the maybe fossil

Next a big rock that was showing a few fossils near some silt stone, most of the fossils were badly weathered.

Last we found a sandstone rock that was showing many weathered fossils, when we gave it a tap it opened up to show a lot more.

That is very cool!!!! Amazing bit of history there!
Now we wait for someone to tell what it is etc!
Great photos and finds Shivan!! :cool:

Cheers,
Billy.

Looks like the Permian fossils in the Wandrawandian Siltstones around Sussex Inlet, Ulladulla and points south. Worth a visit to the display at Ulladulla, where an informative brochure can be had..

Thanks guys.
I believe you are right DrDuck, either Permian from the Wandrawandian Siltstone or upper Devonian from the Nowra Sandstone. I think most of the fossils are brachiopods and bivalves? Not sure what the snail shell looking one is... maybe a gatsropod?
The first big rock seemed to be sandstone from on top of the silt stone. The rest of the siltstone in the area was very weathered and soft so we did not look very long in that area.
Some of the exposed siltstone

The second spot where i found my rock has had this written about it
"The base of the Conjola Formation is exposed in a small creek bed downstream from the road. The lowermost sandstone has created a waterfall immediately below which are outcrops of basalt of Devonian age. A boulder horizon marks the actual unconformity. Thin papery shale is wrapped around some of the boulders and may contain nonmarine fossils. Brachiopods have been found in the sandstone immediately above the unconformity.
The entire outcrop is duplicated in a tributary coming in on the left a short distance downstream. Fissures in the old basalt surface are still filled with pebbles washed in as the marine subsidence took place. This exposure is 400 feet above sea level and considerably higher than the basement rocks."
A few photos of the walk down

Latest posts