Tyre Time Again

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote either maxxis bravos $257 each or the set I ran before that we're bfg km2s they were awesome lasting for a mud tyre but quite noisy once they wore to about 30% tread left. I think from memory they were $320 ish both run on a vdj79 v8 landcruiser ute . :)

The old girl got her new shoes yesterday , ended up going the BFG's , in reality with the planned trip being more 80/20 than 50/50 road to track probably the sensible way to go than the full muddy
1422944033_image.jpg
, cheers for all the feedback

I have been running BFG AT's after only getting 70k out of the original Dunlops on my Prado. So far I have done 100k/km and it looks like I will get another 15-20 from them before needing a change, and have yet to have a puncture. Many kms done while caretaking a big station up in the West Pilbara, with lots of loose sand, fence wire and rough rubbish, so not all easy highway travel. They cost a bit more than some of the others, but being so trouble free and for so many kms, has got to be worth something.

Rob.

Bacchus said:
The old girl got her new shoes yesterday , ended up going the BFG's , in reality with the planned trip being more 80/20 than 50/50 road to track probably the sensible way to go than the full muddy https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4092/1422944033_image.jpg, cheers for all the feedback

I have used BFG's on and off for over 30 years They Must be one of the most tried and trusted tyres ever made to be in production for that long, So that's saying something,

I hope you and the Ole Girl (Truck) have some great Adventures together. WTG

john

I suppose the concern of Bacchus already solved since the thread quite old. Anyway for others who had similar issue, i would recommend the Goodyear Wrangle Duratrac. Below are the following features of this kind of tyre;

• Tractive groove technology[/*]
  • High angled centre tread blocks[/*]
  • Self cleaning tread pattern[/*]
  • Rim flange protector[/*]

Im running BF goodrich KO2,s , they replaced thr BFG KO,s. No punctures with either sets so far, couldnt be happyier with them. Previous tyres had 2 side wall punctures, they looked good, but cost me more after replacing the side wall punctures.

The BFG's are quiet on the road, and as pretty good off road, but they are better than most regarding punctures.
I kept 2 of the BFG KO,s as spares for the KO2,s.

Like you davent I'm running BFG KO2'S mind you I've only put around 20k on them. They are quite and definitely reliable in the off road I have driven to date. I chose them on the strength of your recommendation so I'm looking forward to at least the next 80k of tyre free hassles. Used to run Good Year AT's and could only manage around 50k in the same driving conditions. The best thing I've found with the BFG's is the price I fitted 5for the price of 4 Good Year AT's and should expect at least double the km's :Y: dollars well spent imo.

Forgot to add with the Good Year AT's I managed to stake a side wall with less than 500 km's on it. That hurt the pocket and made me do some research.

Hope they do the right thing for you RM, I have driven through some seriously crappy country, with no (zero) road viability at all, windscreen high long grass, and don't know if I drove anything nasty or not! But after that, Im still very confident in these shoes.

I was running these on my old 80 series cruiser for quite a while. very good puncture resistance. One of the mines in the NT swore by them. 10 ply rating.

Hankook Dynapro AT-m (RF10). :Y: :Y: :Y:

I never had a problem with them. Picked up a tek screw in one but fixed that with a plug.

Cheers

Doug

I fitted a set of Toyo Open Country AT2's to our MUX and am very impressed, they are ten ply with a very high load allowance. Quiet on the road and traction is very impressive on the dirt, I can now climb some hills in 2 wheel drive that required 4 wheel drive with the standard tyres.

Rockhunter62 said:
I was running these on my old 80 series cruiser for quite a while. very good puncture resistance. One of the mines in the NT swore by them. 10 ply rating.

Hankook Dynapro AT-m (RF10). :Y: :Y: :Y:

I never had a problem with them. Picked up a tek screw in one but fixed that with a plug.

Cheers

Doug
I had (well I still have 2 of them!) these on my Ranger, I found in WA they were easy to get 'staked' through the sidewall, as it 'bellies out' quite a lot compared to some other makes, a good tyre otherwise, but I'm looking around for an alternative for my next trip there.

I have just put a set of Kuhmo MT51's on the cruiser ute they are the quietest mud terrain tyre I have ever run. Just came from a set of km2's but they should of stuck to the KM1's as was not impressed. I have never had a set of Kuhmos before but so far so good with 8000 km.

What's a Km1 or Km2 not sure which brand your talking about. How many km's did you get out of the Km1's. What's the dollars and where are they made.

RM Outback said:
What's a Km1 or Km2 not sure which brand your talking about. How many km's did you get out of the Km1's. What's the dollars and where are they made.

BFG KM2 is their mud terrain. I am not concerned with kms more so toughness and ability. Just dont think the new BFG muds are as good as the original. About $300 + each for 285's.

After a change in family vehicle the 80 series only does less than half the Kims she used to, so about 5 years and 86,000 puncture less Klm later its time to load up again. Went straight to line up the current BFG ko2s but see the Goodyear Duratrak Wranglers are heavily discounted to around the same price. Would like to know if anyone has run with the Wranglers ( especially outback WA ) as have read a couple of reviews about side wall issues, or any other new tyres offering outstanding performance.

Cheers
1589155449_51381b10-d858-4663-a4db-2cc253611447.jpg

1589155449_c512eb69-e142-4dc9-8381-ad9117a2366a.jpg

RM Outback said:
Check out this thread particularly Madtuna's first post, if the 80`s doing less than half of what it use to it sounds like MRF are worth considering. Have a good trip when you get it all together :beer:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27267

Probably poor wording on my part RM, I meant that I am only using the Toyota half as much only travelling 20 k a year as compared to the 40 k I used to do and it took me 5 years to rack up 86,000 Kims . Very happy with 86,000 from a set of tyres but will check out Tunas thread as I hear side wall strength is a priority up there .

Cheers

IMO I like the BFG KO2's... Have used them on every 4x4 I have owned.. For 'hard off road use' they are a Tough tyre... Had no punctures as well as you... :Y:
They do get a bit hard after a while and become quite slippery in the Wet on the road tho... :argh: :)

I also have a second set of Rims, and have just fitted them with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for lighter use at $215ea... in 265/70/16 117..

So far, I like them, time will tell... and I Helped a Local Store... :perfect:

Give Tyroola a go. Delivered and fitted at your door for free if you buy 4 ATM... I use them for the BFG's....

https://www.tyroola.com.au

LW...

Latest posts