What’s it worth (Minelab Musketeer Advantage)?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I have an old but hardly used Minelab TS 800 which I’d cosidering selling. The batteries corroded so it may need a new battery pack. I purchased it to find cast iron valve and sewer covers. Hasn’t been used for well over a decade and prior to that was only used a few times. I would love to hear from those in the know. What’s it worth and what’s it good for?

Attachments

• IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6902.jpeg
    IMG_6902.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6903.jpeg
    IMG_6903.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6904.jpeg
    IMG_6904.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Battery pack just needs a clean, cover with baking soda and then use a cotton bud soaked in vinegar or lemon juice. Or take it to JAYCAR and ask for the suitable spray that will do the job. Should clean up ok. Musketeer Advantage runs at 5 khz, TS800 coil is excellent. Manual is available for download online. This machine is good for coins and relics. Poor balance so most owners moved the housing under the arm cuff. Use mine on open areas and the dry beach sand. Tested and working in very good condition, no less than $300 in my opinion.

Attachments

• musky2.jpg
    musky2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0
G'day Scott.

Those contacts in the battery pack look stuffed. If the cleaning doesn't work you might be able to replace them depending on how they are inserted.

If you have any old battery operated toys that aren't being used anymore, and don't have corroded contacts, you should be able to remove them and replace them in your battery pack. The dual contacts are normally push in. They might even be available individually at Jaycar. The contact will have the "positive" spring on one side and the "negative" bump on the other.

The only issue you might have is you have to solder the wires back onto the first and last contacts. If you're still plumbing then I'm sure you will know an electrician that can do that for you.
You will need 4 sets of contacts. 3 should just push in and the other one (for the soldered ends) you can cut with your tin snips and prune it to have a little tab to solder on to.

Regards Axtyr.

Scott, do a Google search for: Mecion AA contact plates positive to negative.

It will show you exactly what you need. It is a 30 pack but cheaper than a trip to Ballarat where I couldn't find the same thing at Jaycar.

NOW FOR THE CAVEAT. For you to be able to replace the contact plates in your battery case, you MUST be able to lift the plates out with a screwdriver. You pry the old one out and you push the new one in.

If you look at the battery holders at Jaycar you will see that they all appear to be crimped in. You cannot replace the contact plates in this type of battery holder without drilling out the old one, and even then there is no slot to hold the replacement plate in.

Clean the existing battery springs and contacts, then look at the contact for the POSITIVE end of the battery. If there is a hole through it then it is crimped and can't be replaced with those plates. Check out the battery holders at Jaycar and you will see what I mean. Their battery holders have the POSITIVE contact crimped in and the spring for the NEGATIVE is connected to it via a single wire which also makes the spring.

If you need any help I can probably drop in on my way out to Talbot or Maryborough. You won't be able to PM me until you have 10 posts.

Regards Axtyr.

Maybe $100 if you can find a Newby
*************************no joke, it’s very deep and very fast winging detector, put the 15” Coiltek DD on it and you can’t find a better “analog” metal detector.

[Mod edit: Please refrain from criticism of other members when expressing your personal views]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts