Teething problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well im more or less settled in my new place now , however there have been a couple of minor issues that have caused me great frustration :8
The main one being the television .. When i arrived there were 2 antennas on the mast (barely attached to the gable)with a single cable into the house but no signal at the tv. I've climed up on the roof , and with my limited knowledge established that the cables were intact with good continuity so thought maybe the control box (?) that houses the connection of both antenna cables to the single one into the house may be the problem.
$1.85 for an f-type conector at Jaycar confirmed it. I also learned that the 2 antennas were 1 VHF(no longer required for digital tv in the area) and the other UHF which i joined with the $1.85 connector. YIPEE ...i finally had tv after 4 days without( ive realised how much i rely on it for solace)
Well my comfort was short lived... 2 days.
Since the antenna was sure to come crashing down in the next stiff breeze , i decided to future proof my solace. I made up a good sturdy mouting bracket and bolted it to the external beam. Then carefully removed and lowered the antenna mast , removed the no longer required VHF antenna , raised it back up and fitted it into my new mounting bracket, joined the cables , climbed down ,packed everything away came in , sat down .... NO RECEPTION :mad:
Ive since been up and down that ladder and roof too many times to count 8.(
I checked , checked and double checked the cables and connections at least a dozen times . I actually broke one of the crimped connectors and had to change connectors again . Ive checked continuity again and again but still cant get signal.
Ive been at it all weekend
I think the antenna must have to point millimetre perfect to the right direction to work :rolleyes:
So im back to square one with the tv.
The other issue has been the washing machine....
Since im on tank water i think some fine debris has buggered up the solenoid valve severely restricting water flow. So in between climbing up and down the roof ive had to swap over the hot and cold solenoids to get the washing done. Not a big deal really but was not something i had anticipated.
I will get a couple of new solenoids and a filter this week and try to figure out what to do about the antenna.

Good luck Sandta, from my experience there's always something unexpected when you move digs.

I used to be a tv antenna technician. (Fancy job title for the guy that fixes ya reception) I can tell you the number 1 reason for your problem is a short at the join. The fine sheilding outer wires if even 1 of them is touching or wrapped around the centre core wire it is short circuited. That sheilding needs to be all pulled back over the outer black plastic coating, making sure none of it is touching the centre earth return. Number 2 reason was amplifier power supplies being taken by previous tenant. A problem we get a lot of down here is birds chewing on the outer coating puting holes in it, then when it rains water gets inside the cable which acts like a hose and you wind up with water logged cable and water coming out of the inside end of the connection. This can happen with bad connections and connections that havent been sealed with tape. Sealing bitumised tape is best, then go over it with normal elec tape. Hopefully this might help you down the right track Sandta, let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I'd swing past and take a look for ya but I think there's a bit of a drive involved.lol :)

Good onya Chewy ... Thanks
Its really been frustrating :( had a crystal clear picture then back to nothing
Ive got the cables in the car (final antenna mounted box with lead and the one through to the house). Gonna get new f-style fittings crimped onto ends. Not quite sure yet where to go ... but google should help.
Cheers thanks again

Cheapest place would be electrical wholesalers, buy a set of crimps that fit RG6 cable. A sparky, or tv guy will charge you more as they usually have a minimum call out fee. Plus then ya have them for future use.

Like Chewy says, if you are in an area that is a bit remote, you may need a masthead amplifier. With digital the difference between working signal strength and not working, is small and the conditions may have changed a bit. Get someone to help you getting the orientation right as well.

Regarding the washing machine, did you check if the mesh inlet filters on the washer water inlets are blocked, as may have been some rubbish sitting in the pipes that got flushed in on start-up, as I have seen this happen a few times. Also as you are on tank water is there a pressure pump, or are you relying on gravity feed from a tank?

Rob.

Not worth the pain Man, bite the bullet and get an expert / professional.
I did that recently at out country place and got a new aerial [pointed in the right direction] fitted, point to point coax.
All for $180 with a warranty.
Result perfect picture.

Put the other aerial back up as well, we still have only the old type aerial and still get digital reception on it, it may have been the one you were getting the reception on. ;)

Thanks guys ...
Being the tight arse that i am ... Im gonna try chewys posibility first . Ive borowed a set of crimpers so will try the cable repair again first.
If that doesnt work , ill call the 'cable guy' as Redfin suggested
Cheers

Latest posts