New to Campaspe/Bendigo region and new to Prospecting :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm Millee and am relatively new to the Bendigo region. Having been here a few months almost every second person mentions gold and that its everywhere up here - almost like they are sick of it haha (never say exactly where it is though - can't blame them).

Anyway we finally caved and thought we would give prospecting a go, seems like a great day outdoors in nature, learn a skill or two and get to see new places and meet new people along the way. And if find any gold, a bonus!

This forum has been amazing in trying to understand and navigate this whole new world, which has been a bit overwhelming, so a massive thanks in advance.
We are keeping it pretty simple while we get up to speed, brought a basic pan kit as a start and will more than likely hit the national parks (Bendigo and Heathcote/Greytown)

Any and all tips are welcome!!!

See you around the forums

Cheers,
Millee

Firstly welcome, may all answers to your questions put you on the road to success.

Secondly, minor issue, prospecting in "most" national parks is prohibited in Victoria (although some areas within a few are OK), make sure you check your miners right, this will also give you a list of rivers/creeks where prospecting is a no no. Parks Vic have some (ordinary) maps of where prospecting is allowed.

With a lack of water in most creeks it may be an idea to get hold of a concentrator ... minimal water and you can pan off your cons at home.

Good luck.

Hi Millee. A belated welcome and hope you have some success and enjoyment in your first outings prospecting.
You have chosen well in starting out modestly with a gold pan. Learning that skill is something almost all of us have had to master. As a kid I always marveled at how such a simple process could unmask something of value be it gold, or even gemstones likes garnets.
As we approach late autumn water should become more abundant in the gullies of our goldfields and give better panning opportunities among our better known goldfields. Panning off the tops of mullock heaps or crevices in bedrock in a known diggings area will almost always give a show of gold even if small at first.
Finding gold is one way to develop a life long interest and a way to keep some of us going (well me I mean) well past the use by date.
Good Luck.

Hi All,

I'm Millee and am relatively new to the Bendigo region. Having been here a few months almost every second person mentions gold and that its everywhere up here - almost like they are sick of it haha (never say exactly where it is though - can't blame them).

Anyway we finally caved and thought we would give prospecting a go, seems like a great day outdoors in nature, learn a skill or two and get to see new places and meet new people along the way. And if find any gold, a bonus!

This forum has been amazing in trying to understand and navigate this whole new world, which has been a bit overwhelming, so a massive thanks in advance.
We are keeping it pretty simple while we get up to speed, brought a basic pan kit as a start and will more than likely hit the national parks (Bendigo and Heathcote/Greytown)

Any and all tips are welcome!!!

See you around the forums

Cheers,
Millee
Hi Millie,
As another newbie in bendigo area welcome :)

I know the rushy heathcote area pretty good but more so state forest side do hunting over there haven’t been prospecting over there yet but gonna give detecting a go there either wensday or the weekend, it pretty dry in the creeks over at rushy graytown heathcote area only water there is dams or afew water holes which protected so maybe bring some drums of water if your panning
Just double check were u can and cant prospect before u head out
Good luck

Latest posts