2013 finds - Pete_the_Prospector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep its an earring CW but I dont think its silver. Havent cleaned it up yet :/
Coyote said:
That's Awesome Pete,
Makes My best day of $4.55 look pathetic. Good to here there are some good places still about. Just need to get out there and find one myself now. Is that feather looking thing a silver ear ring?

Anyway well done mate,

CW

Still Looking said:
Brilliant haul Pete...was there much junk mixed with it.?

Thats the thing SL, the only junk was 2 bottle caps and 2 ring pulls which were on the surface anyway. There were only two 5 cent coins and about five 10 cent coins out of the whole lot. The rest was larger denominations. The place was very clean also.
:D

great work mate, makes my $12.36 for about an hours work at the caravan park i was stopping at look pretty poor compared to 67bucks. Were you using the ace250 for this session....... :)

Nice haul. I made the mistake of doing the right thing and sent a formal letter to shoalhaven council for permission to detect in the local parks and was told no because they did not want their public areas dug up. How do you come back on that.

Good work Pete. There's always little pockets of gold around town waiting to be discovered. Hope to catch up with you for a detect one day.

Nope was using the AT Pro ;)
Bren996 said:
great work mate, makes my $12.36 for about an hours work at the caravan park i was stopping at look pretty poor compared to 67bucks. Were you using the ace250 for this session....... :)

Hi kleinman,

Regardless of what council you ask in writing, the answer will always be no. :rolleyes: This decision is made by some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk who has probably never been to any of the parks anyway, so why ask? I have never been challenged by any council workers or rangers as to what I am doing in a park. I have however been approached by said workers and rangers and asked how its going, having any luck, what are you looking for type of questions. I dont dig holes or leave a mess, and this keeps them happy, one of the parks I detect has full time greenkeepers. Most of the workers now know me and they now let me drive my vehicle threw this park to get to where I want to hunt on the other side so to speak, and they leave the padlock unlocked for me so I can get out after they have gone home for the day if I ask. As for this particular coin haul, it all come from a tot lot which was full of wood chips. I didnt leave any holes, it was a rainy day and there was no one around. Perfect weather and situation for detecting. I went back to this park today with my youngest and the missus for lunch, and there was no way that you could tell that I had been there in the first place. Leave no mess, and no one complains. ;) One more thing, there are some parks in Newcastle that I just will not detect in. Common sense plays a big role in where we all detect, parks in historical areas and such, are out of bounds, and so they should be. Only an idiot would detect in places like these, unfortunately there are some out there. And if it keeps going the way it has been lately, it wont be long before we start seeing little stickers of stick figures detecting with a red circle and a line threw them on all the signage you now see around parks and at the entrances to the beaches, then where do we go?

kleinman98 said:
Nice haul. I made the mistake of doing the right thing and sent a formal letter to shoalhaven council for permission to detect in the local parks and was told no because they did not want their public areas dug up. How do you come back on that.

Thanks Pete. I always do the right thing and that is why I sought permission but like you said what they dont know doesnt matter. I will be discreet and they should not bail me up.

Spot on there Pete. I decided to call one of the major council offices down here a few weeks back, just to see what their attitude was towards detecting on the beaches and parks. The customer service lady never had a clue and asked me to hang on while she went and spoke with the senior ranger.

She came back and advised that it was good to go as long as I obey any directions from lifeguards or rangers and not to inconvenience any member of the public.

She then wished me luck and told me to watch out for any needles. Leaves a good taste in the mouth when they are happy to accommodate you provided you play by the rules and use common sense :D

Well looks like someone in shoalhaven council might have been watching that stupid show "American Digger". Watch out here come some detectorists to wreak havoc and mayhem in our parks. Shows like that should be banned.

Nice one Pete!!! I went out on Bulli Beach at Woonona end - felt too conspicuous to go to where all the people hang out - took the new GPX1000 - it's started to pay for itself "a whole $2.00 coin" along with junk ha ha ha
When I get over feeling like the target, I'll move on to those populated areas.

Lifeguards are always cool, beach detecting is no worries if you fill your holes in, can make some pretty deep ones with the 5000 on the beach. :)

I have always found the life guards are cool with detecting and at one beach I visit I have got to know a few by name, often drop them a can of coke as I pass and have a bit of a chat.

Have found local councils a pain until I got to know the manager through some charity work then all was cool, he has even come along once to "have a go" his young son found a $2 coin, he found some junk :p

Bob.

I must say that the beach is the best but I go early in the morning so its just people walking there dogs. Been going to a few parks and I find people will look at you to see what your doing then loose interest. I just block them out :)