2013 Finds - Nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah mate its fantastic. You definitely have to drill holes in yours, it makes a huge difference.

sure will ... are you gunna trim the front edge ... they did it with the guys on youtube

I didn't think of that but yeah I might give it a go, I also just noticed he put little groves across the top for grip, not a bad idea.

Full of something Baaahahaha Only kidding.
Went for a swing last night, counted 7 detectorist's on 2 beach's :mad:
And none of them were locals.

Wow, there was a husband / wife team on Newcastle beach last night but they werent there very long.

Today while out detecting with a couple of the PA guys I found a medallion. Its a religious medal of somesort and after much reasearching online I magaged to find some info about it. Below are some pics of the exact same medal, I'll put a pic up of the one I found shortly.

2qw0r2q.jpg
34e3wc2.jpg

Summary:
Australia New South Wales Sydney
29th International Eucharistic Congress 1928 (AD)
Mint: Amor
Other Details: This medal was issued in 1928 to commemorate the 29th International Eucharistic Congress, held in Sydney. The Eucharist is considered be the source and pinnacle of all evangelization and the centre of the whole life of the Church. The Congress is an expression of the Church's world-wide prayer for unity and peace. The first International Eucharistic Congress was held in Lille in northern France in 1881. The Congresses were then held intermittently, interrupted by events such as World War I. From 1922 they were held every second year. Between 1922 and the eve of the Second World War in 1938, nine congresses were held in different countries across the five continents, including the 29th Congress, held in Australia. The medal features an image of Pope Pius XI. Pius's pontificate, during the inter-war period, was marked by considerable diplomatic activity. Pius spoke out against nationalism, racism, anti-Semitism and totalitarianism, and in favour of human dignity. He also had little regard for laissez-faire capitalism, and urged social reform in the 1931 encyclical Quadragesimo anno. Pius argued that it was not possible to be both Fascist and Catholic, and relations between Mussolini and the Holy See deteriorated. However, he was presiding over the Church when it signed a concordat with Hitler in 1933. The Nazis continually meddled with Church activities, persecuted clergy and tried to convert German Christians to the new faith in Nazism, and Pius finally denounced the government and Nazi theory in Mit brennender Sorge in 1937. Soon after he issued the analysis On Atheistic Communism, denounced persecutions in Russia, Mexico, and Spain. To protect Eastern rites Catholics from Latin influence he augmented their congregation, established a commission to study their canon law and asked Western Catholics to embrace their brothers of the various Eastern rites.

Acquisition Information:
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976

Discipline: Numismatics
Dimensions: 40 mm (Diameter)
Weight: 29.65 g (Weight)

Primary Classification: MEDALS
Secondary Classification: Commemorative
Tertiary Classification: religions
Series: Australian Commemorative Medals
DateEra: 1928 AD
Obverse Description: Bust of Pope Pius XI facing left, under shoulder truncation W.J.A.; around, PIVS XI. PONT. MAX.
Reverse Description: Mary's Cathedral, Sydney; in field left, 29TH / INTERNATIONAL / EUCHARISTIC / CONGRESS / SYDNEY / SEPT 1928
in the exergue: AMOR
Edge Description: Plain
Inscriptions: Plain (edge)
PIVS XI. PONT. MAX. around bust of Pope Pius XI facing left, under shoulder truncation W.J.A. (obverse)
29TH/INTERNATIONAL/EUCHARISTIC/CONGRESS/SYDNEY/SEPT 1928 ST Mary's Cathedral, Sydney; in the exergue: AMOR (reverse)
Shape: Round with loop
Material: Bronze silvered
Issued By: Eucharistic Congress, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Mint: Amor (Mint)
Artist: W. Amor, 1928

Initials appear incuse on truncation of Popes's bust.
Person Depicted: Pope Pius XI - Roman Catholic Church, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1928
References: Car 1928/3
Source: http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...ongress-sydney-new-south-wales-australia-1928

There doesnt seem to be much information online about that medallion, from what I did find it seems to be one of the rarer ones to come across, Pope Pius XI was a bad boy by the looks of things.

Tonight finds on Terrigal Beach include $7.15 in moderns, a small cross (not sure on the metal) and a very small name tag off a bracelet (possibly silver). My nephew found 5 cents, just needs a little more practice I think.

Does the cross have any numbers or stamps on it anywhere? Tell your nephew to hang in there, I didnt find anything for weeks with my Ace250 at first, and then it just happened and started to find heaps. I done alright tonight, will post a pic later. Its 1:20am and I'm knackered :rolleyes:

Wooster you pointer out about front of plastic shovel been cut. I am not sure this is the case as they are always dragging it around so they know where they've been. Hence gridding in a way. Dragging it through sand constantly would be like sand paper. just a thought.

Another $7 in moderns and a gold coloured ring from the beach last night, I thought it was solid gold until I had a good look at it :(

Thats a bummer, I never got to go out last night as you know :( It seems that everyone is not having much luck on the beach's around here. I wonder if there is a detecting god that is punishing us all for something O:) Looks like its back to the bush then 8o

Another great day out detecting with Pete and Wooster, nothing special to show but fun was had by all.

Latest posts