NSW State Forests Permit information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also checked that SSL certificate out also as I noticed my browser wasn't showing the normal green lock symbol indicating a secure site. The SSL certificate is owned by the government but it's another branch of the same departments. Cost cutting I think. The actual payment is handled by the commonwealth bank and it's SSL certificate so I went ahead with my payment.

gcause said:
I also checked that SSL certificate out also as I noticed my browser wasn't showing the normal green lock symbol indicating a secure site. The SSL certificate is owned by the government but it's another branch of the same departments. Cost cutting I think. The actual payment is handled by the commonwealth bank and it's SSL certificate so I went ahead with my payment.

Yes, from what could determine, they are using their firewood certificate to process fossicking licences. :D

Gail said:
I cant get statewide only sections to pick. So what am I doing wrong :/

Hi Gail, it is a statewide licence, they just want to know where you are most likely to be fossicking but whatever you choose does not restrict you to that location. Guess so they can determine resource spend etc....

Has anyone else got
"THIS PERMIT HAS NOT BEEN PAID YET." on the bottom of their permit?

I put in my card details and stuff and seemed to have worked but it has that.

Ok...I figured it out.

You need to go back to the homepage and click the visiting tab...then you go via the firewood cert.

I thing I googled the direct page and got the bad cert.

All good now...I'm legal.

Something I don't understand about the maps:

In the icons at the bottom of a map where it says "National Park" and "Other State Forest", are you allowed to fossick in those areas of the map or not (as it doesn't say whether or not fossicking is permitted, like it does with the other icons in the legend

You can't fossick in NSW National Parks! NSW State Forests have no jurisdiction over them anyway so even if you could they wouldn't be able to make maps showing areas anyway. I assume they do show the National Parks so people can see where the State Forest ends & the National Park begins when in close proximity.
For the "other state forests" go to that forest map to check the areas out I.e. for Sunny Corner it shows Turon & Ben Bullen State Forests as "other state forests". You would need to check out the individual map for each of these.

NoPreyNoPay said:
Has anyone else got
"THIS PERMIT HAS NOT BEEN PAID YET." on the bottom of their permit?

I put in my card details and stuff and seemed to have worked but it has that.

Once your payment clears you can go back online & retrieve your updated permit. Once updated your copy should read:
THIS PERMIT HAS BEEN PAID. CONFIRMATION NUMBER : ############ (confirmation number here)

https://firewood.sf.nsw.gov.au/RetrievePermitCopy.aspx

Had the same come up on mine but went online a couple of days later, link above, & the updated permit was emailed all good.

mbasko said:
You can't fossick in NSW National Parks! NSW State Forests have no jurisdiction over them anyway so even if you could they wouldn't be able to make maps showing areas anyway. I assume they do show the National Parks so people can see where the State Forest ends & the National Park begins when in close proximity.
For the "other state forests" go to that forest map to check the areas out I.e. for Sunny Corner it shows Turon & Ben Bullen State Forests as "other state forests". You would need to check out the individual map for each of these.

How come on this map, there's a large portion of the area where it says Barrington Tops National Park available to fossick:

http://www.forestrycorporation.com....ing-area-map-barrington-tops-state-forest.pdf

That writing is a little off skew by the looks. The green area would be state forest which borders the National Park & also State Conservation Area (the grey areas). A good example of why you need to make sure you know where you are & what you are doing is legal I.e. legal to fossick in the State Forest but not in the National Park or SCA unless they have designated areas & as far as I'm aware they don't yet although there has been some push to get fossicking allowed in the SCA I believe.

Hi Undertaker & Mbasko,
NAPFA is currently having on-going dialog with NSW NPWS and other NSW government departments to open up Copeland Tops SCA for amateur prospecting along with other SCA's with historic gold and gem fields within their boundaries
These discussions have been taking place for over twelve months and to say it's slow going is a huge understatement, though we, NAPFA are confident that progress is being made, see the NAPFA website for progress and up-dates.
Cheers, SinHof.

Hang on folks. That's not a NSW statewide fossicking permit. It's merely an annual permit to fossick in State Forests.

It does not provide permission to fossick in National Parks, Crown or other public lands.

Yep that's pretty much the sum of it - it surely is an annual permit to fossick in NSW State Forests.
In NSW you can't fossick at all or use a metal detector in National Parks/SCA's etc. unless there's a designated area - few & far between. There definitely is no permit system for these areas.
You do not need a permit for crown land, public land or any other areas in NSW. You do need to have the relevant permission of any governing bodies, land managers, landholders etc. though.

Looking at getting a permit to fossick in state forests around Bathurst but not sure of the boundaries on the map at the NSW forestry website, would Bathurst be in "Heart of the Country" or "Sydney and Surrounds" hard to tell on their map, I'm thinking the ...first one ?????

When you look at the maps just we aware that only the forest you open will show as available. this is a quirk in the way they have set it up. when you see an adjoining forest that has been hatched out (not availalbe) it probably is available but you need to go back into the forest menu and select that forest. Then it will be available and the other one will be unavailable. To my knowledge you cant selct mutiple forests.

Latest posts