how to identify a fake Garrett

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I might try the new Whites pinpointer next, surely they wouldn't have already copied that, or maybe not?? :/

i saw this video when i had just got my pin pointer so rushed to my detecting gear grabbed my pin pointer was panicking a bit because i hadn't used it yet but then found out it was not a fake so let out a large sigh of relief and all was good :)

If you buy your Garrett from eBay make sure you pay via paypal. That way your covered. Also just buy from someone with 100+ feedback and someone who's been around 1-2 years or longer.

With that said...buying from a shop is the preferred way as you have rights and can always go back. Most shops will always try and sort you out.

OH OH OH, shout out to my peeps who've got a pro-pointer aswell. does yours false signal when u press it hard against a non metalic object?
Hold it as u normally would, now, press it firmly against your free hand on an angle so its getting a side load. Does it signal? cause mine does.

trenchfighter said:
OH OH OH, shout out to my peeps who've got a pro-pointer aswell. does yours false signal when u press it hard against a non metalic object?
Hold it as u normally would, now, press it firmly against your free hand on an angle so its getting a side load. Does it signal? cause mine does.

Not a Garrett, but my Pro-find does that on occasions in hard ground, it will be going back for replacement soon due to other issues.

I just got my "Garrett" Pro Pointer today! It's a fake! I'm just a little pissed at that... I would definitely like to use some more colourful words and phrases too!

If you want one of these baby's don't buy off Ebay unless they perform a demonstration over the phone or something

It's supposed to be a proximity detector NOT a motion detector with a 5mm range!

Better off buying from a dealer as I will be doing now.

James

Don't want to name names, but he has been reported to Ebay by me after he told me he wasn't aware it was a fake and was very sorry and then proceeded to sell another (this is the item that was reported). I've also gave him negative feedback which I only do in extreme cases. I gave him the benefit of doubt and he proved beyond doubt that he is unscrupulous.

Hopefully I can get some money back from Paypal

This was only $120 and I'm pissed, if the same thing happened with a GPX5000 for $1000's of dollars I'd be looking for a deep mine shaft...

This is the description (can't post links yet) to a shorter video that shows the difference between a genuine Garrett and the one I bought, it is by Harpo Marx on youtube

"How to spot a fake Garrett Pro Pointer - Dont get fooled by copies"

James

Got my money back from the seller so all good, turns out he purchased a bulk lot. Some were fakes and some genuine. I know it sounds like a crock but I believe he's telling the truth.

Just be wary of anything you buy off of online sites as everything is getting ripped off these days.

Latest posts