Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stevo - I can almost guess your next question - what setting should I use? There are many post on this an other forums about settings, so have a look. To start with though, try the various factory pre-set settings (FP on the detector - a little box comes up on the digital display). FPs can at times be discounted by some users - all I would say is that the FPs are 'switch on detect' and IMO, Minelab would not be giving dud settings as they want you to find gold with their machines. the manual will have various settings for various conditions. I run a 4500 which does not have the same settings as a 5000 but I am happy with the FPs - I just tweek around the edges with them. As you get used to the detector and the types of ground you will be detecting on, then you can start having a play with the settings. Get some small pieces of lead and use these as your test pieces - set up a little 'test site'. Clear an area of any targets, and set up your lead at differing levels/depths. (We have a test pit dug into the side of a bank but this is to test big coils on deep gold). Then get used to the sounds (or not) and test your swing speed (too fast - no target) and swing height (raising the coil at the end of a sweep can at times cause some ground noise.) Go and find some 'hot rocks' and then get used to the sound they make. They are usually a dark red flattish rocks and the bane of our existence - they can give off a sweet signal, especially on mono coils. You will also get the advice 'dig everything' - well yeah I suppose to start, but eventually you will be confident in ignoring some signals, but it will take time. It will be daunting at first, make no mistake but practice, practice, practice.

loamer said:
Stevo - I can almost guess your next question - what setting should I use? There are many post on this an other forums about settings, so have a look. To start with though, try the various factory pre-set settings (FP on the detector - a little box comes up on the digital display). FPs can at times be discounted by some users - all I would say is that the FPs are 'switch on detect' and IMO, Minelab would not be giving dud settings as they want you to find gold with their machines. the manual will have various settings for various conditions. I run a 4500 which does not have the same settings as a 5000 but I am happy with the FPs - I just tweek around the edges with them. As you get used to the detector and the types of ground you will be detecting on, then you can start having a play with the settings. Get some small pieces of lead and use these as your test pieces - set up a little 'test site'. Clear an area of any targets, and set up your lead at differing levels/depths. (We have a test pit dug into the side of a bank but this is to test big coils on deep gold). Then get used to the sounds (or not) and test your swing speed (too fast - no target) and swing height (raising the coil at the end of a sweep can at times cause some ground noise.) Go and find some 'hot rocks' and then get used to the sound they make. They are usually a dark red flattish rocks and the bane of our existence - they can give off a sweet signal, especially on mono coils. You will also get the advice 'dig everything' - well yeah I suppose to start, but eventually you will be confident in ignoring some signals, but it will take time. It will be daunting at first, make no mistake but practice, practice, practice.

Hi loamer.

You say lead....as in a sinker lead?

Why is this, is it similiar properties to gold?

Cheers
Wayne

Lead is non-ferrous (like gold) and will give you a very similar sound - hence the reason a lot of people dig a lot of lead!! Lead sinkers are fine, or any bits of scrap - not too big - and try and flatten some of them into odd shapes (like nuggets). A mixed range would do you well - even get the little small ones as well. What will amaze you is the amount of small shot gun pallets you will dig. If you can find them - you will find gold. Get the small zip-lock bags so when you bury your test targets you won't lose them.

In a pure sense, we tend to auger into the side of a bank at different levels and place our targets in the small shafts we have created. that way the earth above the target is undisturbed. But, first starting out, small surface tests holes are fine. Even try putting a small piece on the surface and raise the coil to a level you lose the target - that is a sort of air test but will give you a ball-park idea of the depths targets will start to fade in and out.

You will hear/read of 'screaming or screamers' targets - these are either very nice big gold, surface targets or big pieces of rubbish. In reality, you will find a lot of the time gold targets are a small but noticeable break in the 5000s threashold (the manual will explain).

Besides coils is there anything else I can purchase off the shelf to enhance the GPX5000 capabilities besides mods to the actual box.?

5000 doesn't need no enhancing.... You will need a wheelbarrow to bring home all the gold though ;)

I ditched the headphones and got a speaker. Also made a battery from rechargeable cells I got from a battery shop. Hang all this off the detector box and you don't have any cables attached to your body. The other thing I suggest is a small backpack with a 3 lt camel back style water reservoir, pin pointer, nugget jar (plastic) and a gold loupe. I also carry some zip lick bags in case I find some dirt I want to pan and sometimes I even slip a small pan into my back pack. Other musts are a GPS and camera to record locations etc.
I got a sadie with mine and highly recommend it. I found gold on my first outing with the 5000. If you have large flat areas with limited scrub and obstructions a big coil would be better but the sadie is awesome for creeks and crevices etc.

Just bought a body harness has a pocket at pack for GPX battery pack, water bottle and pick holder on it as well. Also bought a garrett pinpointer set of small scales and small plastic bottles for gold pieces and various other items, now really just need to get the detector which wont be till end of May...Have to sort out and buy some camping gear as well. Might even lash out and get a 4WD for my excursions out into the bush.

Sounds like you're going full on with the hobby Stevo, I found I needed a 4x4 after a few trips, poor XR6 doesn't like prospecting, Prado loves it. :)

I'm going to hopefully make it my full time job, hopefully it pays well. :) , thinking of getting either a patrol or landcrusier.

Took my new 5000 out for a run around some diggings near home that a mate has found a couple of bits (1 a 12 gram bit) and I had the same trouble with the 5000 that he has with his 3500. The hot rocks there are constantly giving sweet signals, how I'm gonna pick a good target amongst the hot rocks I'm not sure........tried fine gold and enhance and both were about the same..........any advice would be appreciated. Still a beginner with this new toy but I know I'll get better but this area is frustrating..... :|

Hows your ground balancing? Are you balancing all the ground noise out & doing it regularly I.e hot ground may require a re balance every few feet? What technique do you use?
The 5000 in enhance should balance well enough to minimise the hot rocks. It should be a bit better on them in enhance than fine gold. If you can get your hands on a copy of JP's Unwrapping the GPX5000 there is some good info on it.
What other settings are you using? Gain could be too high for the area? Swing speed etc. can all play a part so a bit hard to answer fully.
The 5000 should run noticeably smoother than a 3500, or for that matter any other machine, on hot ground.

I borrow a 5000 of a mate a lot I'd have to say it runs very quiet over hot ground and with hot rocks you might find settings and ground balance just needs a little more tinkering.
The smoothest machine I have used today is my whites TDI pro with a mono I still rate it 2nd in performance but very hard to beat as a general purpose machine.

Hi guys,

I'd like to know if someone bought his/her detectors overseas? I m looking to buy one and the packages look way more interesting there than the ones we have in Australia, like at kellyco for example.

I guess the minelab warranty is worldwide ( right?)

Should I be aware of something?

Thanks by advance

Be aware that they cant sell/send you garrett detectors from the states to australia....cause of some garrett BS. But, there is ways around it.

Bendigo Gold would be one of the best places in Oz to buy a GPX5000, aa most other dealers won't budge on price or accessories. One of the guys on here drove all the way to Vic to buy one due to getting raw deal on a trade in from the local dealer, and Bendigo threw in a pinpointer at no extra charge. Although there is no guarantee of getting such a deal, I'm sure they will do the best to get your business.

Pretty sure you won't be able to buy a Minelab new from the US due to their policies, plus since it is over $1000, it will attract a bucket load of import duties and taxes anyway, plus hefty shipping costs, hence probably better of buying locally. Even though Minelab are Australian, they will probably make you send the detector back to the place of purchase for warranty claims, as with most other brands of detectors. :)

Thanks guys, JP's dvd's are on the wishlist. It was ground balancing nice and quiet in fixed and tracking but as soon as I swung over one of these rocks it went crazy......I'll have a bit more of a play around..........lots to learn I think :eek:

I bought my 5000 from Bendigo Gold a couple of months ago with a bonus 15 x 12 commander mono, Tim was great to deal with had the battery charged overnight so I was ready to go and got a half day course thrown in. Couldn't be happier :D

Just an idea...have you got your soil/timings switch on the front panel on General or Special? On the back panel display have you selected fine gold?
It sounds like your machine is still in General soil/timing mode. Make sure the front timings switch is on "Special" and then have "Fine Gold" selected on the back.
If this is ok, put your gain and stabiliser on FP. See how that goes.

Yep brumble, was in special and fine, everything else was on fp, time to experiment a bit. after reading a few posts I'm gonna try dropping the gain and stabiliser down a bit, have a bit of a fiddle today up the bush in the quiet.............it's my last day at home and I'm away at work for 2 weeks so if I don't get out and play today i'll be kicking myself for the next fortnight. But on the bright side when I get back I have a month off..........5 hours to the triangle.......definite chance I think!
Thanks to all for the advice on the forum, priceless info from good people!!

oliver_twist said:
Hi guys,

Should I be aware of something?

Thanks by advance
Import duties
No after sales service or tuition (unless you go to US)
Shipping costs
Insurance - lost/damage in transit
No local/close by return point for issues I.e. purchase here & you can return it to the place of purchase for warranty etc.

If you shop around you can get a great package here with extras too.