Difference between highbanker and sluice box?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to purchase the one where you have a pump and water comes down..

Anyone recommend a website I can have a look at or a company that is highly regarded?

Thanks

Many sponsored shops on this site sell highbankers, mostly just the banker it's self, will need to buy pump and hoses separately, check eBay as a lot of people sell full kits with everything needed, but please make sure you check your states regulations on high banking, if you get caught operating with the wrong gear you can face very heavy fines with gear and vehicle seizer... Check out the walbanker, if you are handy with tools it will cost you next to nothing the wack together.

Mate just research how a sluice works then build your own, can make one out of just about anything and there's a lot of info out there, that way you can custom build it to suit your chosen area or style some guys dig faster than others and fun more material it all depends how hard you plan on working.
For me it was great just building a highbanker and I also learnt a lot during the research stage and then even more when testing it out, eg different types of riffles, amount of water flow, angle and so on.. Got heaps of info off the net mostly here but the best info is what you get from getting out and trying it.

I think if you start down the diy path you end up learning alot more about how they work, and what works. It kind of makes you do your research. Some of the guys here have done sluice to highbanker conversions, I have used an Angus McKirk boss conversion that works great. All good advice above though, try starting with the site sponsors.

I'm 'time poor' and therefore look at the quicker option of buying ready made, also wonder how much gold is lost by DIY efforts, those in the know have tried many variations before they have come up with something successful, maybe buy a ready made unit to start off and once you fully understand it go DYI.
A successful DIY seems to the Wal's unit .... Just don't have the time to put one together.
AsBalx says heaps of info on that most popular of forums,
Good luck out there Tom

Balx said:
Check out a site called Prospecting Australia it has all the info you would need on both ;)

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

@ lshallperish, are you after suggestions regarding trusted manufacturers or brands of Highbankers, OR are you wanting more info on how they actually work?

Nugget said:
Balx said:
Check out a site called Prospecting Australia it has all the info you would need on both ;)

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

@ lshallperish, are you after suggestions regarding trusted manufacturers or brands of Highbankers, OR are you wanting more info on how they actually work?

Well I guess I am asking for both.. difference between a highbanker and a sluice box and a trusted manufacturers.. unless a highbanker is the same as a sluice box :/

Think of it like this, a highbanker is essentially a modified sluice that's powered by a water pump rather than the river / creeks natural flow.

In terms of manufactures of highbankers, there are many to choose from and you'll need to make your own judgment on what constitutes good value. Prices range between $500-$3000 or so, but I think your best bet is to Google search "buy highbankers in australia" or something similar and check out the various local offerings.

Once you've found something you like feel free to post it up for some feedback from members.

Teemore said:
I'm 'time poor' and therefore look at the quicker option of buying ready made, also wonder how much gold is lost by DIY efforts, those in the know have tried many variations before they have come up with something successful, maybe buy a ready made unit to start off and once you fully understand it go DYI.
A successful DIY seems to the Wal's unit .... Just don't have the time to put one together.
AsBalx says heaps of info on that most popular of forums,
Good luck out there Tom

Makes sense, just wonder how much also gets lost by poor manufactured off the shelf items, or uneducated operators too. Worked side by side with a guy not to long ago that had payed $350 for a second hand banker (no pump) and it was this tiny little thing that clogged up, looked like it was about to fall over with every half shovel full, and was running so steep he was getting more in his collection bucket than the banker mats. My less than $100 diy version processed double and would stand up in a hurricane. As pointed out couldn't really be more comprehensive to build a walbanker, designed by a serious prospector with step by step instructions, and why it is the way it is.

Hey ishallperish

It looks like you've already got your head around the difference between a sluice and a highbanker. Building your own and testing/modifying in the field can be just as rewarding as getting more gold from an already built and tested unit.

There are so many variations out there it's a good idea if you can to have a crack at a few of other peoples units to see what style or features you want in a highbanker.
For example some people enjoy processing the material by hand on a flat classifier and some would rather shovel like a demon and have the larger material fall freely from the hopper.

Some highbankers have spray bars that will clean the mud from your material and some will blast the clay apart.

Good luck and welcome to the highbanker club :p

G0lddigg@ said:
Hey ishallperish

It looks like you've already got your head around the difference between a sluice and a highbanker. Building your own and testing/modifying in the field can be just as rewarding as getting more gold from an already built and tested unit.

There are so many variations out there it's a good idea if you can to have a crack at a few of other peoples units to see what style or features you want in a highbanker.
For example some people enjoy processing the material by hand on a flat classifier and some would rather shovel like a demon and have the larger material fall freely from the hopper.

Some highbankers have spray bars that will clean the mud from your material and some will blast the clay apart.

Good luck and welcome to the highbanker club :p

Thank you brother =)

Build your own mate
I am up to 5
And they all have shown me the money
Just start simple
And let the ideas flow
Good luck :D

Latest posts