Portable camping generators and fridges..which one?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i have a dead 12 volt battry applying direct 12 volts from the genny 12 it will charge the battry from 1 volt up to 12 being fully charged, then maybe the charger will get a little hot if left to long. When it come to cycles they are dependant on load, the more you use the more the charger has to work to keep the battry at certain percentage, now if i do not have a automatic charger and decide to run it down to empty that is called a cycle, but if trickling the power into the battry at the end of the week you are still cycling the same amount, thus , gas mate

This stuff is available on the web;
The 3 main types of deep cycle batteries are wet cell, gel cell and AGM.
FACT - If you use a wet or gel cell until it is flat, kiss it goodbye.
FACT - If you use an AGM to empty a small number of times, it will recover on charge, to a reasonable extent, but its life will be drastically reduced.

This next bit applies to all 3 types, but the AGM will last longer;

FACT - When my caravan is in the driveway, it is on power all the time so that the smart charger is keeping the battery topped up. If I turn on the LED lights or other devices that the total current draw is less than what the charger is putting out, then I am NOT cycling the battery.

FACT - A deep cycle battery's life is governed by how many times it is cycled. So assume it's night time, no solar input and assume you are out bush and the genny is off. If you use power from the battery until the next day before the sun operates the solar or you start the genny, then that is a cycle. The following rule of thumb applies to how much is used vs how many cycles you will get. I'll use a 100AH as the example, but the % applies regardless of the battery or ganged battery total AH.

0 draw - on charge = no cycle
0 draw - not on charge = a slow discharge over time and is not good
10 to 20% draw - not charging = a cycle life of 1,000 approx.
50% draw - not charging = a cycle life of 300 approx.

5% approx. draw - not charging = there is a low cycle detrimental effect on deep cycle batteries that can shorten a battery life to the same extent as a 50% draw. So if you are using power, make sure you use more than too little before charging.

> 50% draw - no charge = My advice would be to buy some shares in a battery dealership, because you'll be buying a lot of batteries.

The obvious conclusion is, that the most economical battery system needs monitoring properly. You need to know what you are using and what and when you recharge. ie an Ammeter.

ie this kind of device below, I use one in the 4x4 and another in the van.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6170&CATID=83&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1003#3

1397482867_powertech.jpg

Going on your figures of only discharging 20% I would need a 500ah battery bank just to run the tv and fridge in my van, as I already said above that the fridge uses 64amp a day on its own in summer. This might be ok for you but I certainly don't have the room or weight allowance to carry 150kg of batteries. And running the gennie for 1.5hrs is fine if you only use 20a a day but I don't know anyone else that has such small usage.
I am very aware of all of the FACTS you found on the net, I too an quite a good reader. But there's nothing like hearing peoples real life experiences.
My caravan doesn't sit in the driveway plugged in, I live in it and it's used everyday. It regularly goes under 50% (as low as 11.7v) and I got 2.5yrs out of my last one, closer to 800 cycles then 300 cycles. So these internet facts don't always workout in the real world.

DD

My "low usage" is probably the norm rather than the exception, to explain:

My van fridge is a 3 way,(the biggest difference to you) so on power its on 240 v, when driving it's through the hitch on 12V and out bush it's on gas.
All of my lights are down light type and were QH globes, I replaced them with LED, there are 10 of them. Their total current draw, all on is a little more than 1AH. My DVD is 12volt and so is my TV, they pull less than 2AH. In this van I use a 150W inverter to charge my phone and tablet, they use "bugger all".

After tomorrow my usage will increase by probably 10AH as I'm having a diesel heater installed.

My previous van had a 12 volt only compressor fridge and 2 x 100AH batteries, it used 29AH on a 40 deg day and 19 AH on a 22 deg day.

I realise everybody's needs, equipment and use differ, so does their knowledge of this topic. My whole point writing here is to give a start point of knowledge to the less experienced and to THINK about what they want, what they need to do that and above all as you, by what I read, do as so do I and that is manage what you have.

Stevo, We use a 80lt Trailblazer fridge freezer, 3 inch insulation & 2 mm checker plate casing, tough as old boots & made in Qld for Aussie conditions. It is a fridge you can leave in the open & doesn`t need a rug or cover to insulate it.
In the Tvan camper we have a Bushman fridge freezer which can be adjusted to go from 35lts to 52 lts with 2 different lids & a collar, it is also an australian company & runs ever so quite using around 16amp hrs per day @ 25 degree ambient.
Had a 40 llt Engel & it rattled all night , bugger all insulation in its casing & used more power than todays technology fridges, the engel design was for Europe & if left in the open in northern Aust just won`t cope. I know that there will be a kick back on this but trust me we have lived in the bush for 48 years & know what suits us in high temps , not just camping out for a few weeks. Got a mate out near OOdnadatta who has finally got rid of his Engels in the stock camp van & upgraded to Trailblazers.
We run 180 watt solar & also have a honda 2kva if we need to kick the 200amh batts in the van & have duel 100 amp in the tug patrol ute. Hope this gives you more choices in the hunt for something to suit your needs. Insulation is the big factor. National Luna is another good outfit. :)

In my opinion all fridges should have a Beer rating e.g 1 bottle = you'll be drinking slighly coolish beer through to 5 bottles = nice super chilled beer with slight frosty ice layer on the bottle ie: the perfect beer.
It would make it all nice and simple :cool:

Thanks for the insight troops, went and bought the Kulkyne 2.0 KVa Inverter Generator. In regards to the fridge Im leaning towards the Waeco in regards to link Ben78 supplied, thanks mate.

Latest posts