Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some beaches get hit harder than others.

I can find a heap of targets with my 705...but on the closest beach....a distinct lack of signals...good or bad.

So I bury some coins and test....yup I get the signals just fine....sometimes..the ground remains quiet.

Have you buried some coins to test on the wet and dry sand?

You have to go to the beach with a bit of a plan, if you go wandering all over the place, chances are that you will not find much at all, considering the total area of the beach. I tend to re-visit areas that are well populated during daylight hours, hence hopefully replentish the sand with a few dropped coins and other items. I also grid up the beach so I don't miss anything, mainly just in the more busy areas like near jettys and entrances to the beach. If when wondering down less populated areas of the beach, and you come across a coin or two, I will generally stop and grid the area up until I am satisfied that they were just isolated drops, and not because it was a heavily populated area,

Less populated areas are more hit and miss, sometimes you can go there and not find a thing, usually due to recently deposited sand covering up any recent drops. Other times you can go back to the same area, and the beach has been eroded away, exposing patches of coins.

At low tide, also try along the shelly stuff at the bottom of the beach, sometimes coins will pop up between this area of the beach down to the tidal flats. You will know if you are in the right area if you start to pick up a few 5c coins, then move further towards the ocean, and larger more heavy coins will follow. The rise and fall of the tide tends to grade items by their mass or weight, move too high up in the wet sand and you will tend to get lighter items like pull tabs and bottle caps.

You will need to reduce the sensitivity enough to cut excessive chatter and falsing when in wet sand, plus run in basic discrimination mode, notching out iron, this will also help in wet sand. In the dry, just run in all-metal mode and dig everything, as you don't want to miss out on any jewellery. The only downside is digging more foil and aluminium, but those items are really few and far between compared to working places like parks.

Look for areas of recent disturbances like towel marks, kids making sandcastles and digging holes, areas around boat ramps onto the beach - basically anywhere where you may think that there is a possibility of people dropping items. Even at the base of sandhill where you get people snogging each other at night, another good spot for stuff to fall out. Also don't forget grassed areas on the way back to the car, plenty of people drop stuff when cleaning off sand before re-entering their cars.

A VLF detector will always be limited depth wise when it comes to the beach, especially in wet sand, hence why I have a PI detector to get those real deep items that my Ace has no chance of reaching. A larger coil may also be beneficial in this case for the 705, maybe something like the Coiltek WOT coil in the dry sand. :)

the duck said:
Remember people have been doing this hobby for forty years its best to think outside the square when looking for spots and research is the real key sometimes a months research goes into a handful of coins

Very true, Researching places before searching really does help find the treasures :cool:

Got to understand your detectors capabilities. We owned the 705 and found that it was great in parks and dry sand. Wet sand tends to cut the depth and makes the detector "false" or give false signals because of the salt water/high mineralisation.

We swapped technologies and now use detectors that use BBS technology (multi band signals) (hope I said that right and correct me if I am wrong) that is not adversely affected by wet sand or water.

But the 705 is a coin magnet and does well in soil and dry sand.

Thanks guys, I have balanced, worked soft sand, wet sand was a bit of a problem but worked out around 4 was falsing. Following gutters and so on. I was working the beach at a sailing club near the mouth of the torrens (i thinks it is) but hardly found a thing. $2, a washer from a trailer some foil. But I feel that I may be doing soming wrong, may be just unlucky.

I work along the beach dry then move down to the wet )( not dry to wet, dry wet) changing the sensitivity, balance. One sinker in the wet stuff.
I did get heap of hits back up near the car park but didnt want to dig the grass up.

May be I need some guidance to make sure I doing it ok or completely wrong.

you should watch my video under the youtube and facebook subforum

one thing that will make it better is having the auto ground balance on and then going from fry to wet then back up - when you hit the wet , drop back to around 10 to 15 on the sensitivity and then back up higher into the dry sand

also dont touch the sand with the coil as that will also false

yeh when I had mines I stuck the sensitivity around 12 always, any higher didn't work for me.. as bogan says watch videos on youtube, very helpful on setting up X-terra before using it

rgmhot said:
Thanks guys, I have balanced, worked soft sand, wet sand was a bit of a problem but worked out around 4 was falsing. Following gutters and so on. I was working the beach at a sailing club near the mouth of the torrens (i thinks it is) but hardly found a thing. $2, a washer from a trailer some foil. But I feel that I may be doing soming wrong, may be just unlucky.

I work along the beach dry then move down to the wet ( not dry to wet, dry wet) changing the sensitivity, balance. One sinker in the wet stuff.
I did get heap of hits back up near the car park but didnt want to dig the grass up.

May be I need some guidance to make sure I doing it ok or completely wrong.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, just wrong place at the wrong time. I know the exact spot you are talking about, that is where I hit a patch giving up 20 odd coins, but that has only happened once there. It occurred after a king tide ran all the way up to the sand hills, and removed a good amount of sand off the beach, hence exposing a one off patch of coins 3/4 the way up the beach. Since then that area has produced next to nothing due to the sand being re-deposited back on to the top part of the beach. I go there every now and again, spend about 20 minutes, if nothing, I simply move on to another area. There also seems to be a lot of buried building material in the sand to the south of the boat ramp, so you tend to dig up a lot of junk. My Infinium must have detected at least 10 scaffolding clamps in that area, and good couple of feet down.

Quite frankly, the other side of the Torrens has produced more coins the last few times I was there. I work my way from the top of the beach down to the ripple strips at low tide until I start to find a coin or two, then I follow that horizon parallel to the beach to see if erosion has brought some coins to the surface all in the same spot. I've hit a few patches along there that have produced a coin every couple of metres or so, other times I am not as lucky. I don't bother with the ripple strips here, as the sand tends to be quite deep in spots, vs down seacliff way where the sand actually has rocks protruding from the flats.

Despite the Ace not having ground balance, I just reduce sensitivity a few bars, and still manage to get pretty good depth without any falsing at all.

May very well be down the Torrens way tonight if you are keen - low tide at 11.37, so hit the area an hour beforehand as the tide is running out.

Thanks Goldpick. Have to pass on the offer this time. Im not good doing late nights these days, next day is a bugger. Weekend maybe.

I though using the auto balance it will balance out the item if I run over it to many times.

Is it worth while to run over a place where a house has been demolished? Would this have to much junk.

Well I had a look down at the area you mentioned, and it is no go, simply too much sand has been deposited on the beach with the recent tides. So much so that the Torrens outlet has nearly been completely cut off by large drifts of sand. There are trucks and excavators sitting there waiting to dig out a channel for the Torrens.

Further down, the beach looked ok, but there must be a couple of feet of sand sitting there since last time, so nothing short of a PI detector will have a chance to get deep enough, if at all. I found one large sinker on the tidal flats before packing up in search of some pristine tot lots. :)

Gday

when i bought my 705 gold pack, i only got the one small eliptical coil.
I do mostly relic and coin shooting and am chasing the best coil to suit my machine.
I have noticed when i go to the beach, even if i play around with the sensitivity that as soon as i get into the wet sand
it goes all over the show with false signals. could anyone recommend the best all rounder coil please

Randy Horton wrote this report which I found very helpful when I had my 705

http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-1

http://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-2

http://www.minelab.com/aus/treasure-talk/which-x-terra-coil-is-best-for-me-part-3

Also download his free e-book 'Understanding Your Xterra' here. You need to register, but it's free.

https://www.minelab.com/aus/members/welcome-members/ebook?result=ok

Coiltek also has charts, test results on their website. All worth reading

http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/

Happy hunting :)

wickedlester said:
Gday

when i bought my 705 gold pack, i only got the one small eliptical coil.
I do mostly relic and coin shooting and am chasing the best coil to suit my machine.
I have noticed when i go to the beach, even if i play around with the sensitivity that as soon as i get into the wet sand
it goes all over the show with false signals. could anyone recommend the best all rounder coil please

The 10x5" elliptical 18.75 kHz coil is actually better than the 9" 7.5kHz concentric coil on the wet sand. The best coil for the wet sand in my experience is the 10.5" round 18.75 kHz coil.

The three things you need to do to get the get the 705 humming on the wet sand are:

1. Drop the sensitivity - start at around 15 and see how you go
2. Activate the Beach GB
3. Keep a steady coil height, very lightly skimming the sand.

Hope this helps.

Nenad

hey guys my names mike .I just brought a xterra 705 yesterday and am totally new to metal detecting .im just wondering what settings you guys would use for searching bushland,parks and beaches on the xterra 705 .

I was also wondering is this a ok first detector and it came with a gold coil was wondering can this thing really find gold or is it just a gimmick .cause seems a lot of gold metal detectors are in the $4000 mark .

any help would be greatly appreciated .I went searching with it today but only picked up bottle caps and pieces of beer cans .so Im not sure if I should discrime some stuff out or what .sorry as you can see im totally new to all this .

Please refrain from posting the same questing multiple times. I'm sure an experienced member will be along to answer your questions shortly.

Cheers,
Nugget

Latest posts