Advice on Minelab training / trainers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will 2nd that!
I did the 2 day course with Greckie in Mudgee the last time they ran this course.
Very informative course on such things as Geology, Ground noise, EMI, Coils, Settings and then a 1 on 1 with whatever brand/model detector you own and how to get the best out of it. If you have any questions after the course, he encourages you to call and will be only willing to help you out. Make sure you get Scotty to make his home made rissoles for lunch they are excellent.
If you get a chance to enrol in the course I recommend it. I am pretty sure he also does this course in Vic too.

Thanks everybody for your answer.

Greckie replied to me but his next session is near Bendigo in the Victoria which is a bit far... for those who would be interested in it, he told me he got some space for May seminar.
I contacted Sean as well who lives near Canberra and got availability from the beginning of May.

Are you the owner of a Minelab CTX 3030 & finding it a bit of a hand full? Training rarely pops up but next weekend on the 20th September 2014 there is a training day being offered at Jimmys Beach Caravan Park, Port Stephens. Jimmys Beach is near Hawks Nest on the north side of Port Stephens. The harbour is just over the dunes to the south & Jimmys Beach is over the dunes to the East. Heavy seas & king tides have recently stripped tons of sand from this area so the treasure hunting should be particularly good. Participants will be meeting in the public picnic area just near the caravan parks office. Bring lunch, drinks, sunscreen & your CTX 3030 [with charged batteries]. Goanna Gold Detectors has retained Sean Johnson [expert trainer] from Canberra to lead the training. There is no guarantee that this training will be offered again in the future if it is not patronized, so dont hold off. Contact Goanna Gold Detectors on 02 4938 7670 for a place in the CTX mastery class being held on Saturday September 20th. Cost is just $100 & paid directly on the day to Sean Johnson. Start time is 9.30am & concludes around 4pm
The following day is a social Spring Treasure Hunt day [September 21st]. This is a fun day for treasure hunters, their friends & family. Bring whatever detector you own & then hunt for hidden tokens with prizes marked, coins & whatever else can be found. There are prizes offered for who finds the most & who finds certain targets etc. Goanna Gold Detectors will be providing a BBQ lunch & drinks. Family, kids & friends are all welcome to come along & share in the fun. It costs $10 per adult & $5 per child & this covers the lunch. Please register with Goanna Gold Detectors ASAP as numbers are needed for the food purchase. Bring sunscreen, hat & sunnies. Days have been in the low to mid 20s recently.perfect spring weather but the sun still burns. The day starts at 9.30am, the hunts starts at 10am & concludes around 4pm. Meeting place is the public picnic area outside the Jimmys Beach Caravan Park office.

Oh great :( ... Ive asked Judy a few times about one of these outings ... And its my week/weekend 'on call' 8.(
Maybe the next one... ;)

After recently purchasing a second hand GPX5000, i have quickly realised that i have no idea how to use it properly.
I was hoping that someone could suggest somewhere that i could have a training session in how to use the machine properly.
The complexity of this machine is doing my head in!
Thanks

Stoppsy (Paul) is a good bloke & he does one on one training. I would give him a ring & have a chat.
In the meantime keep reading the manual & when you think you've read it enough, read it again.
Good thread here:
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/798-gpx-help-for-a-beginner-please/#entry7773
The only thing Steve doesn't really cover is your stabiliser. Basically once you set your rx gain to just on chattering/breaking up use the stabiluser to smooth it out. Usually 2-3 below your rx gain but can differ depending on area/conditions. If you do happen to find some settings that are working for you in an area jot them down in a notebook or something along with area/general conditions (ground, any EMI etc.) so you don't forget them in case you need to go back to Factory Presets somewhere else or fiddle with them. Don't be scared to go back to factory preset & just start again - it takes time but once you nut it out it will become second nature to make adjustments. Some tuition is a good starting point & a good trainer will talk about general technique, ground etc. as well.

Metamorphic said:
There is a great instructional video available by Jonathan Porter from his site 'The Outback Prospector'.

"Unwrapping the GPX5000"

Gain the skills to get the Gold!
The GPX5000 DVD (Double DVD) instructional set.

$50 AUD

http://www.aurumaustralis.com/index.html

Learn in your own time, at home!

You actaully need the GPX 4500 DVD to
cover the RX Gain and stabiliser for the

I called Miners den Monday to organise a training sesh. They don't do them over summer but are about to start them again soon. I think they said a list of dates go online at the end of the month.

Its not rocket science guys!

If you cant work out the 5000 from unwrapping, you need to take up golf.

The 4.5k is practically the same machine anyway so if you think you need that also, then fair enough..... go for it!

True its not rocket science though if you Have
never used a gpx before and you Purchased a
5000 and a dvd for it you would of thought
It covered all areas of how to use the detector.

The key is to throw everything into preset then
Make some simple changes. For now i keep the
Stabilizer about 2 notches below rx gain. I'm
finding small bits of lead so I know its working.

Yeah it isn't rocket science but can be daunting for those moving up from older Minelabs like SD/GP or for those that haven't detected beforehand & are new to the hobby. In my opinion some tuition, either with a mate or paid if necessary, will have a greater effect than the DVD's i.e. instruction on the job :D Use the DVD's to revise & refresh afterwards as you continue to learn.

Metamorphic I upgraded from an xterra 705 to a 5000 and really haven't got a clue. That's why i need someone to show me the basics of this machine.
By the way i already play golf, i play off 6. But thanks anyway

Latest posts