Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very keen to hear how you progress with it mate, a bit to get your head around but will probably become 2nd nature soon. CTX makes the GPX look easy to use. :)

Will most likely get one too in a month or so.

Hi All,
I can not remember who asked me about my coin discrimination pattern I am playing around with so will post it here.

Let us start with the clear pattern being squares of 5x5 blocks and the master of 50 columns and 35 rows, ok.

the start pattern is Row 10 down to row 15 all out to column 9. the whole row 35 and rows 31 to 35 from 35 to 50. You should end up with two solid blocks plus the whole bottom row.

Have found this a good starting point and good in dry weather, I am now modifying it as I have in one park found British pre decimal coins.
This will reject all/most Australian junk items including things like bobby pins, ring pulls and safety pins.

Oh forgot sensitivity is set to 9- 12 as most coins are shallow in the grass around here.

Hope this helps whoever it was that asked. :lol:

Bob.

I have just bought a second hand CTX 3030 and just seeing if anyone is using one? I'm reading through the manual, a lot to learn so just wanted to see if there is anyone that had any good tips? I am going to get the two book by Gary Drayton to kickstart my learning.

If anyone is in Sydney and uses the CTX it would be cool to see if we can go on a hunt sometime...I'm in Bondi.

HH
LJ

LJ, I own a ctx3030 but i haven't used it for about six months now. Mate there is a few guys on here that use them in the coin and relic section. Its a great beach detector and you will enjoy using it, plenty of hi traffic beaches down your way mate. If i was down your way i wouldn't hesitate to go out on the beach hunting with yah. LJ, There is some great info on the minelab treasure site and heaps on you tube as well. There is a good book called "Gold beneath the waves" I recommend you to read this book, good luck. :)

Roscoe said:
LJ, I own a ctx3030 but i haven't used it for about six months now. Mate there is a few guys on here that use them in the coin and relic section. Its a great beach detector and you will enjoy using it, plenty of hi traffic beaches down your way mate. If i was down your way i wouldn't hesitate to go out on the beach hunting with yah. LJ, There is some great info on the minelab treasure site and heaps on you tube as well. There is a good book called "Gold beneath the waves" I recommend you to read this book, good luck. :)

Thanks Roscoe,

Sounds you have an expensive machine you have collecting dust...any reason your not taking it for a spin? I've been watching a few videos now on Youtube which has been cool. I will have to check out the minelab treasure site and 'gold beneath the waves'. Cheers Roscoe!

I know mate is a shame having the ctx gathering dust like that, not for long though i hope. :)

Well I finally took the plunge & bought a CTX3030. Any one willing to share some programs or tips for it ? It would be greatly appreciated. Seems a little bit to get my head around. Might have to find a quiet spot to myself on the weekend to have a play. Thanks guys.

i had a look on the minelab owners forum and if you become a member there which i think is about $30 or so it will let you download other peoples ctx programs. I personally i have been using the beach presetting with fast recovery on, deep recovery off , salt water and auto GB. Maybe pickup the ctx books gary drayton has out, i got both of his and it gave me a better idea on the settings and what works for me

i use it for beach detecting, havent detected on land for a while. I would use the coin mode or silver mode for land and test it out. There are settings for use on land, check out that forum i spoke about, its all about minelab :D

hey guys mike again so its crunch time for me ive been looking at a few detectors now and am really thinking about getting the ctx 3030 but ive also wondered about the etrac .I like the etracs features but don't know a lot about the ctx 3030 ive bartered with miners den and they have quoted me $2600 .just wanna know before I go thru with this is this a good metal detector ,what features it has is it gonna make my life a little easier coming from a xterra 705 .one thing I really like about the ctx 3030 is going in the water with it .that's one thing I really like about the ctx 3030.

but yeh if sa bogan or anyone on here can give me some advice id greatly appreciate it .you guys have been great in the way of information:).but yeh im still not sure on which one to get I wasn't keen on the etrac at first but after watching a few vids with it it looks pretty good .

Hi Mike, I have one and to be honest I have had no issues with it and it finds a LOT of stuff. It has a pretty steep learning curve, one which I am still learning.

If you already have an xterra I would probably lean to the SDC at this stage or if you are really doing a lot of water one of the more dedicated models. When you say water do you mean sticking the coil in or you have a mask on swimming and diving ? Big difference.

If it is just water in creeks etc... Then the CTX and SDC will do likewise some shallow beach work. I have only used the SDC for a few days in the bush and it worked well and was sensitive enough. I never used it at a park so EM noise I am not sure about.

While mine will probably gather dust, it will get used when more family orientated trips and the times I get bored and decide to do something locally. My main focus is Gold in the outback and you need more power than the CTX provides and sensitivity on small gold, which the SDC brings in spades.

In summary depending on where you want detect would be the factor in upgrading. Around parks, local areas, beaches only then the CTX would be a good choice, as it is a little lighter and definitely better balanced.

If you go to gold country every now and then and want to chase sub grammars then the SDC hands down in my opinion. For me I would go a SDC but that in no way means I am unhappy with the CTX it has been a good machine. I just cant afford to sell and the difference to upgrade to a SDC otherwise I would.

Good luck in your decision I am sure others can add more.

Westaus

It is much easier to look at the areas you intend to detect vs asking which is better. If you want to go anywhere near the water, the CTX would have to be the one to aim for. If you are only intending to do wet sand and land detecting, the Etrac would be the cheaper option of the two - accidently drop your Etrac in the water, say goodbye to $1800.

Are you near a Miners Den store, if so, go and visit them and get them to run through the features and operation of both detectors, to get a first hand idea on whether you will gel with either machine. Buying a detector is a very personal thing, regardless of money spent, if you don't get along with the way the detector operates and handles, then it is probably not the detector for you. Hence why you should personally check them out before offloading a substantial amount of cash. :)

Imo .. The 3030 is known to have issues with sealing problems and the battery clips becoming loose. be wary on hot days and If the detector feels hot let It cool down before you submerge it . But it's a bloody good detector for wet beaches and parks . Bit of a steep learning curve but we'll worth It.

hi I like to detect parks and beaches .wow really the battery and seals come loose wow that's not good for the price you pay hmmm.

Mike keep the 705 for the parks that you already own
and Get yourself a 2nd hand sovereign for the wet sand.

I have seen sovereigns for less than $450.

Goodluck with your decision.

what are your thoughts on a etrac cause I kinda like all the features on them also .ill check the sovereign and fisher out .

Latest posts