MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trashmagnet said:
peakin
woody in frankstin is the one doing the mods for jack lang so try him for your mods on these machines
thanks trashmagnet how would i contact him.

I saw them on ebay as well and i would be keen to know how they work in the gold fields. Remember that today modern land mines are not the big steel disks or drums you one saw in WW2 movies they are almost totally plastic with only a few metal components within them, not one dose it make them cheap and easy to produce it also is meant to make them harder to detect! that said landmines are never more than a few inches under ground so it would be interesting. Im sure it would find gold but how big and how deep are the real questions.

Make sure you get an amplifier if your buying the F1A4.

These sell really cheap if you can find them.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3009590

http://www.manheim.com.au/ttpm/item/itemunavailable?itemID=000000000003996729

http://www.manheim.com.au/ttpm/item/itemunavailable?itemID=000000000003996749

Would love to know what a pallet sold for :)

Ismael Jones may be able to help with modifications as well.

His contact number is 0417 947 764

The key here is to be able to buy one on the cheap.

Cuckoowaif said:
This is a clip comparing the f1a4 against a more expensive unit ....
Check it out ......
Steve .

As you can see with the extreme modifications these are branded as 2 Different machines and that expensive unit you are referring to

(GP 3500) I paid $1800 for with a 15x12 commander coil and 450mm DD and 11"DD. The 15x12 and the 450mm are worth in total about $700 new.

I researched this machine and did think about it as well then took a different route. One reason was resale value and the amount of 2nd detectors

available out in the market place.

Wolfau i think you got a grate deal on that cos the ones i see on flebay seem to be up around the 2500-2800 mark but im keeping an eye on ebay like a hawk ;)

peakin said:
trashmagnet said:
peakin
woody in frankstin is the one doing the mods for jack lang so try him for your mods on these machines
thanks trashmagnet how would i contact him.

hi peakin

google Minelab DetectorMods or link technologies.

I don't normally recommend woody's mods to any one, I only mentioned trying him cause he is the one doing the mods on those machines you see on e-bay that jack is selling.
normally ismeal jones is the one I recommend to deal with if some one insists they want to try mods on there detector

I'd do some research on the mine detectors before parting with your money as they were being sold for less than $200 from the surplus auctions where jack got them from so you may find them cheaper somewhere else.

I'm not even sure the modded ones work for gold in the goldfields we have in aus as I have not spoke to anyone that has tried them and it's no good asking jack or woody.
regards tm

Sylar said:
Wolfau i think you got a grate deal on that cos the ones i see on flebay seem to be up around the 2500-2800 mark but im keeping an eye on ebay like a hawk ;)

Be Patient.

Even if you pay $2000-$2600 its good going if it comes with a Nugget Finder coil and sound booster.

All you need is the mod at $275, a minelab commander 11" coil and sound booster.

So look for all of these 2nd hand. Don't delay though because as the prospecting season approaches many will look at buying.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/metal-de...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The above I think if I can remember right went unsold then was relisted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/minelab-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITES-T...4018?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item258907b682&_uhb=1

Whites TDI Package super cheap and I was tempted..

Ismael Jones is an experienced technician.

I love his up front honesty and I don't think this mod would challenge him.

The question is whether he has the time.

If the boards are the same then it should be an easy process.

Even his little Ripper battery wireless battery pack is superb.

I was shocked that he only charges $275 to modify the GP3500.

Wolfau said:
Ismael Jones is an experienced technician.

I love his up front honesty and I don't think this mod would challenge him.

The question is whether he has the time.

If the boards are the same then it should be an easy process.

Even his little Ripper battery wireless battery pack is superb.

I agree 100% wolfau....

I only mentioned woody cause peakin seemed interested in these mine detectors on e-bay and woody is the one doing them.
chances are Ismael will say his not interested in these mine detectors as he will not risk his rep doing a mod that he does not believe works well which is why I normally recommend him.
regards

Hi Everyone ,
My inaugural outing with a detector .... The F1A4 performed pretty good in the hands of a complete novice ,
17 bottle tops ,
1 soda stream canister ,
3 used sparkler wires ,
2 bobby pins ,
1 roofing nail ,
1 butt end of a star picket ,
numerous bits of foil ,
1 20 cent coin ,
1 $2 coin ,

All in two hours on North Wollongong Beach ....

I can't wait to get it out bush to get serious with it ...

sounds like you had fun, good stuff
be interested to hear your how you go in the goldfields.
regards tm

I see a GP 3500 modified on Ebay for $3300... Does anyone know how much it costs to modify the F1A4???

Cheers...Sparra

woody is asking $1250 for the mod, i'm going to go with the gp3500. too many unknowns with the F1A4. and to much to risk. when you can get a gp3500 for a little bit more. f1a4 going for around $650-$800 on ebay then $1500 to mod. gp3500 for a around $2600 with extras booster and coils. $275 to mod the gp3500. im going to go with something tried and trusted. thanks guys for all your input and knowledge.

Hi Guys,

I just want to point out that Woody is NOT doing the mods on the F1A4's for Jack Lange. The mods are done by another guy who is not associated with Woody or Link in anyway. At this point in time he is doing the mods on the f1a4's exclusively for Jack, but in the future will do them for the general public, this is why his name has not been publicly released. He is a prospector and has found gold with the f1a4.

Regards AuMan

Sparra said:
I see a GP 3500 modified on Ebay for $3300... Does anyone know how much it costs to modify the F1A4???

Cheers...Sparra

Mod costs $275 from ismael for 3500.

Be patient and wait. Gp3500 sell from $2000
to $2300 on that auction site.

Tip: if a gp 3500 is for sale with plenty of
Coils if its got a 11" mono offer $2000
With 11" mono and tell them you don't
Want the other garbage.

You need to get creative..

Hey lads
Just came across the Minelab F1A4 detector
Looks interesting