Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gadgetman,

I am trying to justify spending a lot more on a waterproof beach detector, did you end up getting the CTX3030? If you did what are your thoughts? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Robert

Robert Le Mal said:
Hi Gadgetman,

I am trying to justify spending a lot more on a waterproof beach detector, did you end up getting the CTX3030? If you did what are your thoughts? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Robert
Hi Robert, Yes I did buy the CTX 3030, along with the 6 x 17" coils, so far I have only used the standard coil, as I am trying to learn as much as I can about one thing at a time, (I think it's an age thing), I think it's an absolute great bit of equipment, nicely balanced, & best of all it come with pre- programmed hunting modes, coin, beach silver etc, & you can customise it so many ways, that what it is capable of doing is mind boggling, BUT I am a very very very inexperienced learner, so that's about all I can say about it at the moment, except to say I don't regret a penny of the money I spent on it.
If what you want is solely a detector for water hunting, then you should maybe looking at the excalibur or seahunter.
GM

Gadgetman - I want to use it in parks, on private property where there's been buildings and in shallow water at the beach so that's why I am looking at the CTX. You've made me more keen on spending what is a fair bit of money for me. Thanks again.

Robert

Howdy guys,
I've had my 3030 for a little over a year but due to a back injury I haven't used it very much until late. I live in the Blue Mountains and intend on using it around Sofala etc. I've used it a few times on beaches recently. It REALLY is a machine you need to use often to get the hang of it. As with GM, I too am an inexperienced learner. I think if all you want to target is gold, then go for a GOLD detector but if you want to do a bit of everything, the 3030 is an amazing bit of kit. Just make sure you download the newest software with the Saltwater setting. It's a great upgrade. I've found coins on the beach almost a meter down.
Sean

Thanks Sean, if I get a CTX I'm make sure I get the updated software. From the reading & videos I've watched the machine seems to be extremely customiseable, probably to the point of confusion but I hope that means as I get skill I will be able to adjust things so I find stuff better .

Just brought my 3030 last week new and it has the new saltwater preloaded. Yes it does seem awesome very happy with so far on basic test. Handle mineralized goldfield at maryborough Victoria without any falseing. Tested on small gold well too. This machine does have extreme discrimination but believe it will take some time to master, although standard preloaded patterns seem great anyway.
Although my initial test was on goldfield this was not the purpose I brought machine as I own the GPX 5000 for that purpose.
I brought 3030 for high trash area's. My only concern is how deep this machine will punch.

Cartay said:
Howdy guys,
I've had my 3030 for a little over a year but due to a back injury I haven't used it very much until late. I live in the Blue Mountains and intend on using it around Sofala etc. I've used it a few times on beaches recently. It REALLY is a machine you need to use often to get the hang of it. As with GM, I too am an inexperienced learner. I think if all you want to target is gold, then go for a GOLD detector but if you want to do a bit of everything, the 3030 is an amazing bit of kit. Just make sure you download the newest software with the Saltwater setting. It's a great upgrade. I've found coins on the beach almost a meter down.
Sean

If you buy new like I did you will find that the saltwater setting is pre-installed, you can also opt to have the gold settings installed.

well I got a second hand CTX 3030 today, it's been well looked after and came with other stuff (which is nice but not really needed). Took it to the beach just to see what it does and it seems to pick up targets a lot deeper than the xterra 305, also finds $1 & $2 coins with a good signal and image on the screen. I have a lot.... "a lot" to learn but I am glad I stretched to afford this machine.

I have had mine for about 12 months and it does not get the use it should. There is a learning curve with the numbers and anyone trying to decipher the instruction manual good luck. I would have had more chance understanding some sections if it was written in hieroglyphs. People who have used similar Minelab products would find it a bit easier I think. It certainly is a good unit and finds lots of items. Look forward to hearing about peoples finds and learning more myself.

Looks like you can detect new planetary systems with that 17" coil ?. Leave a GPS trail in this link to let everyone know which beaches have been cleaned out! Enjoy and good luck

Hi Westaus, yep I hear ya...Have had mine almost a year now and has been a steep learning curve, the closest to this I have owned is the original Sov. Gadgetman45 - opt for gold settings? I will have to look that up! has not come through on the software yet that I have seen. Tonight I am staying near the oldest (Or longest licensed, or both) hotel/pub in NZ, last time I was here and stayed, I asked if I could detect the grassed areas the next time I came to visit, and the 'owner' said no prob go for it. So here I am for a night, with detector, but two months later...hmm the hotel is closed down 'temporarily' (Had to find another hotel in town) but I found the caretaker and explained I had permission, he said fine help myself...got the 3030 warmed up and had walked about 30 feet or so, ignoring quite a few junk signals (Using stock coin prog, was getting crappy variable readings) I had about 2 hours daylight left max, then got a sweet sound and 1230 reading, solid from every direction...just started to probe and a guy comes (BIG guy LOL), says this is a historic site and I was not allowed to disturb it. I said I had permission twice over...But he is doing work on the buildings and rather loyal to the owners. So I got their number from him to call....no answer Grrrr. (BTW, a sovereign reads 1230) - So I will be following this up so I can try again next visit - Hope I can get hold of the real owner/s!!! For those interested, it is the Spa Hotel in/near Taupo, central North Island. Cheers

Ballsup said:
Hi Westaus, yep I hear ya...Have had mine almost a year now and has been a steep learning curve, the closest to this I have owned is the original Sov. Gadgetman45 - opt for gold settings? I will have to look that up! has not come through on the software yet that I have seen. Tonight I am staying near the oldest (Or longest licensed, or both) hotel/pub in NZ, last time I was here and stayed, I asked if I could detect the grassed areas the next time I came to visit, and the 'owner' said no prob go for it. So here I am for a night, with detector, but two months later...hmm the hotel is closed down 'temporarily' (Had to find another hotel in town) but I found the caretaker and explained I had permission, he said fine help myself...got the 3030 warmed up and had walked about 30 feet or so, ignoring quite a few junk signals (Using stock coin prog, was getting crappy variable readings) I had about 2 hours daylight left max, then got a sweet sound and 1230 reading, solid from every direction...just started to probe and a guy comes (BIG guy LOL), says this is a historic site and I was not allowed to disturb it. I said I had permission twice over...But he is doing work on the buildings and rather loyal to the owners. So I got their number from him to call....no answer Grrrr. (BTW, a sovereign reads 1230) - So I will be following this up so I can try again next visit - Hope I can get hold of the real owner/s!!! For those interested, it is the Spa Hotel in/near Taupo, central North Island. Cheers

Gadgetman45 - opt for gold settings?
The dealer I bought it from asked If I wanted the gold settings installed, don't know if they were free or charged for, as I wasn't bothered, I didn't ask!!

As you all know I picked up the ctx 3030 Saturday and have taken it out 2 days down at the local beach. Starting off with the weight and feel of the machine I was very impressed at how light and well balanced it has been designed and the ability to retract the carbon fiber shaft down to half its size for ease of transport. Also with the nice sized 11inch coil and koss 30 headphones you don't really need to buy anything extra, how ever if you want to submerse the whole detector and use headphones you will need to buy a pair of waterproof headphones or use the wireless speaker it also comes with. Battery charge time is only 4 hours compared to the Excalibur wich requires 9 to 12 hours and comes with a battery pack for AA's (if your like me I forget to charge mine ). After reading the online user guide as it doesn't come with one and watching YouTube videos i was ready to hit the beach.

As I turned it on there are a few things required to be turned on to use its maximum potential which really are so easy to find eg the trace tracking which helps you see what is next to the target and also its general shape. Most of the buttons as I found have menus if you simply hold the button down but as there is so much to take in I was running without it on the first day.

I found myself feeling like a newbie again with all the different buttons, tones and having to look at a screen. It's a pretty complex machine and if someone was looking to start this hobby I wouldn't recommend starting with this one. I found myself lost in the abundant information without know how to read it all while trying to dig the target out. This detector will take a lot of time to learn but being able to find the targets next to iron it will be deadly when all features are being used.

On the up side being a minelab user I did find things that were similar to how the xterra is setup and could detect for most of a day as it feels effortless to swing. I would recommend buying this upgrading from lower models but could see how overwhelming it could be to all skill levels.

Hope this gives those who asked how it went a better idea on the detector and can't wait to pull the good finds to prove its worth :)

I also forgot one really cool feature is the geo hunt mode which recorded my movement up and down the beach and can be displayed in the program it comes with on google earth to see all the spots you missed lol. Also allows you to mark point of interest like where you found the good targets with a press of the button

Latest posts