More Coins in Wet or Dry Sand???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
I usually only go detecting for gold but have recently been loving coin hunting. The question I have is do you find more coins etc in wet sand or up dry at the beach? I want to hit the beaches a bit more and I own an Garrett AT Gold so I can't go near the wet sand or water so I would love to know if you guys get more in the wet stuff or in the dry sand.

I find most of my coins where people generally lay on towels away from the water. That tends to be where they drop a lot. I have found rings more in the wet, not that I have found that many. (I have found my best jewellery in parks.) Also I look for where people play ball games like beach volleyball. Best of luck, Rick.

I usually monitor a few beaches throughout the day via Coastal Watch http://www.coastalwatch.com to see how busy they are and where most people have been congregating, then I just focus on the most active areas including entry / exit points. I own an AT Gold also so cant get too close to salt water or beep beep beeeeeeeep. Needless to say, most of my finds have been on dry sand :D

Hi Heavy Metal. Generally you will find that most items found in dry sand are items that are recently lost unless there has been recent storm activity. If the high tides come onto these areas items will sink further (depending on metal density) or be dragged towards the water. I have located items after storms which had previously been cover by a meter of dry sand and until that sand was removed there was no way of getting them. I hope this gives you food for thought, but there are alot of factors which effect where the items are located'

I normally find most stuff in the dry but in the last couple of weeks most from wet , only because I think up there at Newcastle every one has been hitting the dry stuff after the big seas ;)

i would imagine you are going to hit melbourne beaches they are well gone over and many of them have had up to 3 feet of heavy sand and clay put on them best time is after a hot spell like now but you wont get a lot of pre decimals unless we have some wild weather

the duck said:
i would imagine you are going to hit melbourne beaches they are well gone over and many of them have had up to 3 feet of heavy sand and clay put on them best time is after a hot spell like now but you wont get a lot of pre decimals unless we have some wild weather
My mate got a 1880 Farthing at Rosebud last weekend. I guess there is still some pre-decimals around but few and far apart. I got a 1913 Penny and a really old Surf lifesaving medalion at Portsea a couple of months ago.

Latest posts