Welcome Guest! Please Register as a member to gain full access. Registration is completely FREE.
Public Service Announcement

You are not logged in.

• Register for your chance to WIN great prizes.

1 12 November 2013 04:16 pm

kleinman98
Garrett ATX vs Minelab GPX5000

Check this out.

My name is John. Happily retired and living the high life even if I am broke. Garrett Ace250, Garrett ATX

2 12 November 2013 04:37 pm

Roscoe

I don't take much notice of air tests. The targets must be buried in the ground.

"They all say I am good, But they don't know what for yet."

3 13 November 2013 07:37 am

Billabong

This test is very flawed....
Would need to know how the GPX was set up.....
I have pinged sub-gram nuggets at 4" deep with a very clear signal...
Also when he was swinging the GPX over the target he was to quick to say "not a peep", "not a peep" when i could here it detecting the nugget..... he was also swinging them differently.....
At the end of the day he is selling the ATX so he is bound to try to discredit the GPX.
Get the settings sorted and there is no way you would miss a nugget on the surface, even a sub grammer....

Need to see them both back to back in the field with buried nuggets..... tested by someone independant...

Having said all this i hope the ATX is as good as they make out, competition can only be a good thing smile

Last edited by Billabong (13 November 2013 11:26 am)

Clearing the state forests one bullet at a time !

4 13 November 2013 01:58 pm

Tye

Bill A. Bong,

The guy in the video likes Garretts but he also swings a GPX 5000...
Just in case that makes any difference?

I think what you see coming out is..... he's excited about the small gold performance
Of the ATX....

Cheers,

Tye

5 15 November 2013 04:33 pm

Toysandthings
Sponsor

Yes more tests needed but is proving interesting.

So far its thumbs up for the ATX.

Now a depth test on the nuggets or a range even in airtest
would b nice.

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. In our tests, the ATX,
1g nugget 8 inchs
2g nugget 11 inchs
5c coin 13 inchs.
Now need to test in goldfield conditions
and against other detectors.
And larger nuggets.
It seems more sensitive then the infinium with an 8" coil.

We have sold out and are taking preorders for the december delivery.

Swing a detector, Radio control racing or flying.. http://www.Toys-Things.com.au

6 17 November 2013 08:01 pm

WalnLiz

That video test has got to be the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. He has not even an incling on how to set up a 5000 and to use something like that in a comparison vid is a sure way of showing how incompetent you are as a detector operator.

I have just got back from the Mongarlowe Gold field with gtsJeff and his new ATX. We put it through a quick general run in goldfield conditions, and compared it to the 5000. Let me tell you (and Jeff will agree), the results were nothing like the vid above.

Will post a quick rundown under a new post shortly.

Cheers Wal.

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

3 users like this post: joe, HeadsUp, Billabong

7 25 November 2013 01:05 pm

kleinman98

Aussie Detecting & Prospecting
14 minutes ago
This is what I call an independent review. Bob is a very experienced GPX 5000 user & is also a Minelab dealer.

Garrett Australia
2 hours ago
ATX Review by Bob Buss of Goanna Gold Detectors www.goannagolddetectors.com.au

The Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Metal Detector [All Terrain Xtreme] Report

The new Garrett ATX hit Australia’s shores this week & by next week the first customers will have their brand new machines. We, however have been very lucky to have access to a lender machine to reveal & demonstrate at our recent Goanna End of Season Muster held at Hill End NSW on the 2nd & 3rd November 2013. About 40 people gathered to be the first to see the new Garrett ATX. We had spent 2 days before the Muster testing the ATX in our test patch with buried targets at known depths. We test all our detectors in this patch so we know very well the depth capabilities, signal response & target location abilities of many different models. We approached the test without bias. We had already been privy to detailed explanation of the science & had heard verbal evidence of gold field tests conducted. We had also seen some air tests [which hold little practical use but can be useful in brand comparisons for testing individual aspects like response by same sized coils]. That is about as useful as these test are but buried target testing is different. Targets that have been buried for long periods, like ours are very good at assessing metal detectors because it is the closest thing to actual field conditions but still controllable. The bench mark Pulse Induction machine is the Minelab GPX 5000 so ultimately the testing had to be a comparison to see where the ATX lay compared to the GPX. As we only had access to the 11"DD [standard] coil for the ATX we were limited in our test parameters so we acknowledge that our testing is incomplete in regards to larger & smaller coils & we have not compared DD to DD or mono to mono coils either as we did not have access to them. We also note that the GPX 5000 is compatible with a vast range of after-market coils to enhance its performance whist the Garrett ATX only has 3 coils available & at this stage there is no after-market coil maker producing coils to increase the choice. However, the results we obtained from our test patch test were very surprising as the ATX passed every test we put to it. We even went as far as setting the GPX 5000 with an 8"x6" Nugget Finder mono into the GPXs Fine Gold setting to locate an extremely small 0.2gm nugget at 8". As expected the GPX located the target. Now, the surprise is that the ATX with its standard 11" coil also located the target.....that should raise an eyebrow....not bad for a standard coil.

My name is John. Happily retired and living the high life even if I am broke. Garrett Ace250, Garrett ATX

1 user likes this post: WalnLiz

8 25 November 2013 05:34 pm

Diggerdude
kleinman98 wrote:

Aussie Detecting & Prospecting
14 minutes ago
This is what I call an independent review. Bob is a very experienced GPX 5000 user & is also a Minelab dealer.

Garrett Australia
2 hours ago
ATX Review by Bob Buss of Goanna Gold Detectors www.goannagolddetectors.com.au

The Garrett ATX Pulse Induction Metal Detector [All Terrain Xtreme] Report

The new Garrett ATX hit Australia’s shores this week & by next week the first customers will have their brand new machines. We, however have been very lucky to have access to a lender machine to reveal & demonstrate at our recent Goanna End of Season Muster held at Hill End NSW on the 2nd & 3rd November 2013. About 40 people gathered to be the first to see the new Garrett ATX. We had spent 2 days before the Muster testing the ATX in our test patch with buried targets at known depths. We test all our detectors in this patch so we know very well the depth capabilities, signal response & target location abilities of many different models. We approached the test without bias. We had already been privy to detailed explanation of the science & had heard verbal evidence of gold field tests conducted. We had also seen some air tests [which hold little practical use but can be useful in brand comparisons for testing individual aspects like response by same sized coils]. That is about as useful as these test are but buried target testing is different. Targets that have been buried for long periods, like ours are very good at assessing metal detectors because it is the closest thing to actual field conditions but still controllable. The bench mark Pulse Induction machine is the Minelab GPX 5000 so ultimately the testing had to be a comparison to see where the ATX lay compared to the GPX. As we only had access to the 11"DD [standard] coil for the ATX we were limited in our test parameters so we acknowledge that our testing is incomplete in regards to larger & smaller coils & we have not compared DD to DD or mono to mono coils either as we did not have access to them. We also note that the GPX 5000 is compatible with a vast range of after-market coils to enhance its performance whist the Garrett ATX only has 3 coils available & at this stage there is no after-market coil maker producing coils to increase the choice. However, the results we obtained from our test patch test were very surprising as the ATX passed every test we put to it. We even went as far as setting the GPX 5000 with an 8"x6" Nugget Finder mono into the GPXs Fine Gold setting to locate an extremely small 0.2gm nugget at 8". As expected the GPX located the target. Now, the surprise is that the ATX with its standard 11" coil also located the target.....that should raise an eyebrow....not bad for a standard coil.

Lolol lol , independent review from a dealer.  I prefer to call independent someone who doesn't sell them.
Interesting review though.

9 25 November 2013 07:55 pm

thesmithy

Hey Diggerdude,
I agree with you in regards to dealers etc.
Bob Buss is a dinky die prospector who deals and sells all brands of detectors to his clients..... followers.
I hear that Bob is a diehard minelab 5000 guy.

so it is pleasing to see a non bias approach to both machines.
he also left it  open ended as well.
cheers
TheSmithy.

10 26 November 2013 05:57 am

Diggerdude

Yeh mate I know Bob, wasn't disputing his detecting experience.  Just pointing out he's not exactly independent.

DD

11 28 November 2013 06:33 am

rigger572

Good review from Gonna Gold ,no matter what the results  are they will be discredited by the minelab diehards as ive already seen on other forums the bashing of the ATX, since the initial specs come out i got my wife to order me one  as im overseas.

Being an owner of one im reading everything i can find on it and those who have put up their
money and bought one im grateful to read any testing results i dont care if it can or cannot beat a gpx if it can in some areas ive spent wisely and im sure it can

I see excellent performance for a pi that is a turn on and go machine negative posts by those who havent had hands on one are only unproductive and degrading to those who give them a go

12 28 November 2013 06:47 am

WalnLiz

The machine will serve you extremely well rigger, when you're looking at the top 2 detectors in the world today, and one of these is a third of the price, your value for the dollar becomes extremely high. You will be able to go out there with confidence that the machine will harvest you Nuggets. wink

Cheers Wal.

Gold Gem and Treasure hunters from Canberra......run minelab gpx 5000 and 3 gold and gem Hi-bankers...life's short ..don't waste it.

13 28 November 2013 07:34 am

Zuke_Lynzy

Well said Wal'.  ill be looking at an ATX next year  iv been lucky enough to have,borrow,buy most of the top line detectors in the last few years just sold the 3000 to go towards the ATX and iv got two more I'd like to sell that the ATX won't have a problem replacing.
I can't afford a 5000 but lucky enough to have a close mate that has one  and iv got all the coils we need.

Whites TDI pro & GMT

14 28 November 2013 07:36 am

rigger572

Thanx Wal
              I purchased it with the hope that it was  going to perform  somewhere between a 3000 and 5000 but with the bonus of being water proof and compact it can go in my pack when i go on exercises we got some nice looking training grounds we use it will be a versatile bit of kit. im only a hobby detector operator and dont need to fiddle with settings and coils this machine is perfect !!!

15 06 December 2013 08:25 am

kleinman98

Yet another video.
http://youtu.be/v0nALoYUf24

16 06 December 2013 10:56 am

Redfin

Looking good so far .
Can't wait till someone tries it out in the triangle.
How is yours going John?

Det used - Whites 6000D, ML SD2000, ML SD 2001, Garrett Infinium. Current Det - Garrett ASD Groundhog.  Minelab SD2200D.  Minelab GPX 5000.

17 06 December 2013 03:40 pm

kleinman98

No problems with mine at the moment. I went to Culburra beach today and only found a rusty nail at about 500mm.
There is just nothing there at that beach. Might go north to Seven mile beach on sunday and hope somebody has lost something.